FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Men! Answer my survey and be honest!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Men! Answer my survey and be honest!!
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
If you saw an attractive girl/guy who happened to be taller than you, would you ask them out?

If you found out that your online romantic interest was taller than you, would that bug you? Would it keep you from wanting to meet them in person?

If you don't mind taller girls/guys, do you have an inch limit? (i.e. She can't be more than 2 inches taller?)

Would it bug you if a girl/guy wouldn't date you because you are shorter than she/he is?

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 6'5"

and my wife is just shy of 6'.

Problem solved for both of us.

[Smile]

Plus, I think she thinks I'm cute [Razz]

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattB
Member # 1116

- posted      Profile for MattB   Email MattB         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, no, no, no, yes.

How you doing, Narnia? [Smile]

(Of course, I'm six feet, so my experience here is limited. I did date a girl who was taller than me in heels in high school, though)

Posts: 794 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Good. [Smile] I'm feeling really tall at the moment, that's all.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
If I actively asked out girls, then I'd ask out a taller girl if I thought she was attractive. In regards to the others, it wouldn't bug me and it would't keep me from wanting to meet them in person. My inch limit is about 2 inches taller then me (otherwise, I start to feel like I'm being dwarfed). Yes, it would bug me if a girl wouldn't date me because I'm shorter than she is (unless it was like a huge difference).
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I think your survey should also include a "how tall are you?" question. I'm attracted to tall women, but there aren't many who are taller than me (I'm 6'3").
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Whether or not I ask someone out isn't based on what she looks like
No, but whether or not you walk up to them in the first place is [Wink]
Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
My 5'11.5" brother has almost always dated girls that were as tall as him and taller than him in heels. His two serious girlfriends have all been his height. He likes it. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Height makes no difference to me.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
If you saw an attractive girl/guy who happened to be taller than you, would you ask them out?

Assuming I was still in the dating scene, of course. A girl taller than me would be taller than 6'3". If I liked her and she wasn't that much taller than me, I would consider it.

If you found out that your online romantic interest was taller than you, would that bug you? Would it keep you from wanting to meet them in person?

I'd reserve judgment for meeting in person.

If you don't mind taller girls/guys, do you have an inch limit? (i.e. She can't be more than 2 inches taller?)

Maybe 1/2 inch to 1 inch.

Would it bug you if a girl/guy wouldn't date you because you are shorter than she/he is?

Not really. Although it wouldn't make me feel any better if I were shorter. It's hard to consider because almost everyone's shorter than me.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angiomorphism
Member # 8184

- posted      Profile for Angiomorphism           Edit/Delete Post 
My girlfriend is taller than me. I find it sexy, and I don't think she cares at all. I'm 5'10 and shes 6.
Posts: 441 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I think tall girls are hawt. Seriously, it's like their legs go on forever. Amazing.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

My friend Molly is, at 5'10", taller than her husband by about an inch, maybe an inch and a half.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was single, I dated a couple of girls who were over 6'.

I don't think I've ever met a woman taller than me (6'3"), so the issue never came up.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

As to my answers:

1) Absolutely.

2) No.

3) No, but from a purely physical perspective she couldn't be too much taller than me or we wouldn't be able to kiss easily while having sex. [Smile]

4) Not especially, though a girl who felt that way would have to rule out almost every guy on the planet.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm only around 5'9.5", and I am having a hard time thinking of girls I have known who were taller than me (I've only thought of one so far).

I'm not sure whether that's because I just haven't really noticed that they were taller, or because I haven't met many of them.

Regardless, I don't really think I would mind. My ex-girlfriend sometimes wore heals that made her taller than me, and I never cared one way or another.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be honest... girls taller than me intimidate me. Thankfully I'm 6'6" so this doesn't happen often.

To answer your questions, I'd consider dating someone who is taller than I am, but only after I got over the shock factor.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Though I once wore one of those "You must be this tall to ride the ride" t-shirts, I don't have any sort of height preference.

Though I can't say how I'd feel about a woman taller than me...I don't meet many.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure about what my answers would be. I've only gone out with a girl taller than me once, and it was a blind date. As soon as she saw that she was a little taller than me, she decided to ignore me the whole evening. Other than that, I think the tallest girl I ever dated was at least a couple inches shorter than me.

I don't think I'd make a blanket rule about not dating someone taller than me, but it certainly would take some getting used too.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
yes, no, no, no, yes

at 5'8", there are a number of women taller than me... the ones I have met in person were all attractive.

I have much more the opposite problem... looking through the personals as I was recently, I found a number of women 5'6" and shorter who refused to consider any man under 6'. It was mind boggling and mildly offensive, but I figure anyone who was going to be that shallow deserved what they ended up with, neh?

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jim-Me:
at 5'8", there are a number of women taller than me... the ones I have met in person were all attractive.

Why, thank you, Jim! [Wink]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
For the record, I'm about 5'9", so there's a number of girls taller than me and shorter than me. So there's lots to choose from.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 5'7" and married (but I'll answer as if I weren't)
Yes. See stipulation in question 3.
It might bug me if I felt she'd been hiding it purposefully. It wouldn't keep me from wanting to meet her in person.
I doubt I would date someone more than 3-4 inches taller than me.
Probably a little, but not much.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 6'2".

I like tall girls, but the tallest I've dated was a volleyball player who was 6'1". That was almost too tall. I'm not used to people of any gender being taller than me, so it was a little unsettling.

My best friend in college, who's 6'6", always said he'd love to meet a girl who's 6'3". Sadly, few such girls exist.

Here's the deal. Being tall is generally considered a good thing, comparitively. But most people (guys and girls) like to be in a relationship where the guy is the taller one. So in order to pass on "tall" genes to your children the ideal mate is just a few inches shorter than you.

And Katie, when you're above about 5'4" I think you can drop the 0.5".

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

*grin* I include it just to annoy him. With any luck, he's reading this.

*calls out* Steee-eeve...Steve, are you there?

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Darn it, Boon! *shakes fist* That was my line! [Wink]

Narnia, I'm not as tall as you are, but at 5'9", I am taller than many guys. It seems to be an issue for many. Personally, I don't care . . . well, not much. Certainly isn't a deciding factor.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
I’m 6’ so it’s usually not an issue. I did date a tall girl once and it was so nice not to have to lean down to kiss her. Ok, sorry, to much detail. But no, I don’t have a problem with dating a tall girl.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
'Tall' girls are neither more, nor less, attracive than 'short' girls.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
but are tall guys are more or less attractive than short guys?
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 5'6"ish. Maybe 5'7"--I'm honestly not sure.

Height really doesn't matter to me at all, and I wouldn't hesitate to date someone either significantly taller or shorter than me. I don't have any kind of a hard and fast limit, but I guess I'd say within the range of normal human heights, anything would be fine with me. It's really just a non-issue for me. I have in the past felt irritated when women weren't interested in me because of my height. People are attracted to what they're attracted to, and I'm that way as much as anyone, so I don't really have anything to justly complain about, but nonetheless, yes, it has bugged me.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I as a girl wouldn't date a guy who was shorter than me, but most of them are like 8 so it doesnt' matter (I'm 5-0)
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
If I were single, yes. Height makes little difference

Not in the least.

I don't think I do. I'm 6'1", though, so it's not that often I find people more than a couple of inches taller than myself. I was hit on by a guy whose nose was at about the height of my navel. I wasn't interested in him, but height wasn't the primary factor in that. I'm not really sure it was even a factor at all, but I can't be sure since it never came to that.

Briefly, yes. But then I'd get over it. I mean, a lot of people don't want to date me for quite a number of reasons and I don't base my self-worth on those. Why would I do so for something completely beyond my control?

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had it be an issue, but I imagine if someone crossed me off the list strictly because my height it would piss me off.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Well, I was *told* that it was because of my height...she could easily have been thinking that that would somehow let me down more gently than "because you suck" or something to that effect.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I have been eliminated as a possible date because of height; however, it was after I had already expressed noninterest. I was two inches taller than him. Since I'm 5'8", that happens sometimes. I didn't want to date him, but it wasn't because of the height issue. However, the height issue did...serve to help console us both that we weren't missing anything - it wouldn't have worked anyway. Does that make sense?

I hope that's not offensive. I do think this is one area where people simply like what they like. If someone only wants to date 5'2", hourglass-shaped lawyers, we are simply not going to happen and I wish him the best. That doesn't remove the onus of being polite, but it's okay if I'm not his physical type. We just weren't meant to be.

twinky
Member # 693

Karl, I think "if I were single" is implied in the answering of the questions. [Smile]
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes

If you found out that your online romantic interest was taller than you, would that bug you? Yes, slightly.

Would it keep you from wanting to meet them in person? No

My bf of 6 years is a half inch shorter than me. I'm 5'8" It still bothers me slightly, because the rest of the females in my family are height bigots. I wish I had a guy that could at least meet my 5'10" mother at eye level since I can't. The height bigotry does cross gender boundaries somewhat, my mother actually complains about my brothers' girlfriends being short also, since both of them are stretching to make 5'. My father and brothers are all 6'+.

I probably wouldn't date any male under 5'7 and that's stretching it. Steve is pretty much at my minimum limit, and my minimum got lowered to date him in the first place. I love him, but if I could change anything at all about him, I'd make him taller. The "height issue" was something I seriously contemplated, when our relationship looked as if it would last for a while (about the 5-6 month mark). I came to the conclusion that breaking off a relationship that is otherwise fantastic just because the guy is a half inch shorter is pretty dumb. So I didn't.

Would it bug you if a girl/guy wouldn't date you because you are shorter than she/he is? probably not

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seatarsprayan
Member # 7634

- posted      Profile for Seatarsprayan   Email Seatarsprayan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No, because I'm spoken for. But, were I not, I would have no problem with a girl being taller than me. I am 6'.

quote:
If you found out that your online romantic interest was taller than you, would that bug you?
Nope.

quote:
Would it keep you from wanting to meet them in person?
Nyet.

quote:
Well, I haven't ever stood next to a girl that was 6" or more taller than me, so I don't really know. I admit I might be uncomfortable at first, but it wouldn't be a deal-breaker.

My gf is 5'7", and she does have height requirements. She didn't want to date anyone below 5'10" because she didn't want to be taller even with heels.

quote:
Yes, it would bug me. It even bugs me a little that my gf has height requirements even though I meet them.

But, we've all got our own criteria. Even if emotionally I think it's shallow and unjust, in truth I probably have criteria that's just as arbitrary.

Posts: 454 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
I hope that's not offensive. I do think this is one area where people simply like what they like. If someone only wants to date 5'2", hourglass-shaped lawyers, we are simply not going to happen and I wish him the best.
Yeah kat, I completely agree. At the time (I was much younger when I got turned down because of my height) I was full of bluster about how ridiculous and not right it was, but that's just...silly. People like what they like. If height is a deal breaker for someone, it just is.
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
I think there is lots about the dating scene that is shallow and unjust.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I am 5'6" on a good day, and have dated a couple of guys exactly my height and/or a snidge shorter. One more than a snidge shorter. And I like wearing heels. They all said they didn't mind, but one of them was pretty unhappy when he saw a picture of us from a night out when I had been wearing heels and was obviously taller than him. He said then that at the time it hadn't bothered him, but he didn't like seeing it preserved like that. . . but from then on he always seemed a little grumpy when I was wearing heels. And he is now dating someone who's about 5'2". [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
I think there is lots about the dating scene that is shallow and unjust.
And I certainly agree with that as well. When I hear about something like the example given above, where the person has a height requirement of at least three inches taller than they are so that regardless of footwear, they'll still be shorter, I do still have a gut reaction of judgement toward that person, but I bite it back. I'm sure that I do similarly superficial things in one realm or another.

[ October 24, 2005, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think height matters. Attraction for me is always a gestalt, and has mostly to do with what guys are like as people, and not much at all to do with what they look like. If I like someone, I always like how they look, because they look just like themselves. Does that make sense? I think the person is the aura or force field or whatever that lends attractiveness to whatever is closely connected with them, including their body, their interests, their things, the place they live, etc. If I really REALLY like someone then the air around them for about six or eight feet also takes on this aura of attractiveness, as well as the ground they are standing on, the laces on their tennis shoes, a leaf they picked and gave to me, and so on. <laughs>

But no, it wouldn't bother me if someone didn't find me attractive because of my height. Like most everyone who has posted so far, I don't think attraction is something people choose, so there's no reason to feel hurt over it.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KPhysicsGeek
Member # 8655

- posted      Profile for KPhysicsGeek   Email KPhysicsGeek         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Assuming I was a) single and b) had enough guts to ask her out, probably
2) Not really
3) I think I do. Dating someone more than 6 inches taller than me might make me uncofortable.
4) Not really.

Posts: 68 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 

I have in the past. But, as I explain below, most women are taller than I am, so it's kind of a necessity.

I couldn't really afford for it to bug me. I'm about 5'1" - which means the vast majority of the post-pubescent population is taller than I am. So, no.

A couple women I dated were only an inch or taller. However, of the three major relationships I've had, one was 5'6", one was about 6', and Diane is about 5'5" out of her chair.

Not much or for long - and I've never been sure that this was a major reason any time I've been rejected. I have plenty of attributes meriting rejection, and it could be any of them.

I should add that at least two women I have been interested in rejected me out of hand because I was the wrong sex. [Wink]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I've numbered them one through four:

1) Yes, I have already done this I'm afraid.

2) No

3) No

4) Yes

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think she thinks I'm cute
She thinks your eyebrows are cute.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Height and width have never been a deciding factor for me. Depth, or lack thereof, always was though.
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Wow. Thanks guys.

AJ, your last paragraph there is exactly how I feel. I've dated several guys who are shorter and I still have to say, it bugs me to be taller. It's not that I find these guys less attractive because they're shorter than me (I did date them after all), but it's how I myself feel when I'm around them. I'm having trouble kicking the insecurity that keeps me from wanting to even get to know shorter guys. I'm 6'0 in bare feet, so any shoes at all put me at 6'1 +.

I'm afraid that when I talk to guys who are more than 2 inches shorter than me, I approach them with the friendly banter that says "I'm glad we're friends, but I'm not looking for a romantic relationship with you." It takes my Ice Princess complex to a whole new level. [Frown] It's something that's really starting to bug me about myself. (not the height, but the fact that I'm insecure with it.)

I'm glad to hear that most guys wouldn't mind a taller girl, but so many of you are already 6' tall that it's not quite the same. [Smile] Those of you who are in the 5'0-5'8 range are closer to the guys I actually wonder about...

I'm tempted to start another thread like this one, but change 'taller than you' to 'overweight' in the questions. Heh. I'm curious about that too.

Narnia
Member # 1071

Sopwith, you read my mind! Good answer! [Smile]
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.