FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ben Bernanke: next Greenspan?

Author Topic: Ben Bernanke: next Greenspan?
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know anything about this guy? I'm a little surprised that Bush didn't nominate his gardner or something. Other than that, all I know about him is what I read here. I love Wikipedia.

On the one hand, it's nice that someone is being nominated to a post that he seems to have some relevant experience for. On the other hand, although I haven't read the linked speeches just yet, based upon what it says in the article it seems that he may be a little soft on Bush's big government ideals, and the policy of tax cuts without corresponding spending cuts, which really bothers me.

Those are just my very first impressions, though. Anyone have any better informed opinions?

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zemra
Member # 5706

- posted      Profile for Zemra   Email Zemra         Edit/Delete Post 
interesting, most interesting. Good thing that congress gets to decide. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 69 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Luckily, the fed chief has nothing to do with tax or spending cuts [Smile] .

I'm skeptical of some of his positions, but the disagreement is almost certainly mild and academic. He's in the mainstream of monetary policy, similarly to greenspan. His personality doesn't seem particularly offensive, which is also important.

He's a perfectly reasonable candidate, though I would have preferred one of Greenspan's internal preferences (who were independents and democrats).

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
From what I've read and heard about the guy, he seems to be a good economist which is, of course, the most important qualification.

The market and Wall Street seem to like him as well, which is a plus. They need to have confidence in him as the Fed Chair.

Marginal Revolution has nice things to say about him.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.