FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » One of the oddest recipes I've tried for chicken

Author Topic: One of the oddest recipes I've tried for chicken
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Beer Can Chicken

Made it tonight...it's good stuff.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Bobby Flay do that once, I think.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused. How exactly is the beer can in the chicken- is it inside where the giblets were? I need a diagram or something to imagine this.

<--- visual learner.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
It's up the chicken's butt. You know, the cavity where you reach in and pull out the giblets? You stand that over the can. The legs help prop it up.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. The larger opening that used to be the chicken's rear? That's where it goes.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
Chicken Mole

This isn't my exact recipe but it's the closest I could find. Mmmmmmmmm.

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so the chicken is standing upright over the beer can? How does that fit in a regular oven?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

It's ON the beercan. [Smile] You take out all the racks except the bottom most one and it should fit. I have a small oven and it fit into mine. Only about an inch or so of the can is actually left sticking out.
andi330
Member # 8572

quote:
Originally posted by andi330:
Chicken Mole

This isn't my exact recipe but it's the closest I could find. Mmmmmmmmm.

Chocolate chicken. Mmmmmm.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Teshi, you usually do it on a grill, but if you put the oven rack on the lowest setting it should fit. There's actually a book called Beer Can Chicken, and the close up of the front cover should show you what it looks like. [Smile] You can use a can of Foster's to do a turkey.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget to open the can first! Or it a-splodes!

This can also be done with Dr. Pepper. Mmmmm.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

I believe next time I make it, it will have to be done with a non-alcoholic beverage. Stupid lack of enzymes. [Mad]
jexx
Member # 3450

It's good with seven-up, too, if you want to avoid caffeine as well. (not directed specifically at mack, btw, just general information)

In other, chicken-related news, I have made the worst chicken I've ever made twice (2! times!) in this week! Gah! I've lost my 'groove'!

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

*Is going to make the chocolatey chicken tomorrow night.*
mackillian
Member # 586

jexx, do tell. [Smile]
jexx
Member # 3450

I did a Bad Thing and ran out of garlic powder, forcing me to use spice mixes I really shouldn't have used and making the chicken salty (it was too salty for Chuck, and that's saying something) and dry.

And then tonight, I don't know what went wrong.

*puts head in hands*

I need to be alone for a while...

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Do NOT try FRESCA chicken.

Or TAB chicken.

In fact, I think either recipe might just void your homeowner's insurance.

I'm just sayin'.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

[Frown]
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
$35 rotisserie. Best money I ever spent. Perfect chicken every time.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

This cost me $4. I think.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, but I have used my rotisserie many many more than 10 times. [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

*cough*aim*cough*
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Bet you saw this coming.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw beer can chicken done on a barbecue once. It was on a show called License to Grill.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

No, no, I really, really didn't.
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante and her chicken breasts...
Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.