FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mmmmmm...Humus (Yes it is spelled correctly) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Mmmmmm...Humus (Yes it is spelled correctly)
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
Made some last night. *sigh*

Great stuff. I had it first in Israel along with Falafel. Mmmmmm.

[ October 25, 2005, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: andi330 ]

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Hummus. Humus is decomposing organic matter. Which tastes different.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

Actually Tom, according to Wikipedia:
quote:
Hummus (Arabic: حمٌص 'hoummos ▶(?); Armenian translit: hamos; Greek: Χούμους; Hebrew: חומוס; also rendered as houmous, hommus, or humus )
Humus, is in fact one spelling. Just because it's not the spelling that you use, doesn't make it wrong.

I have also confirmed it at Dictionary.com

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*loves hummus*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

I had it on celery sticks today. *sigh* I started the South Beach Diet this week and I'm off bread until the second week of November. After that I can have it with pita bread.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Celery? I'd just eat it with a spoon.

Or carrots. It's good on carrots. And cauliflower.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

*hates cauliflower and can't have carrots either*

I just wish I could have the pita bread. *sigh*

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd rather have only the celery.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Pita bread! Or inside sandwiches. Yum! I love hummus!

And no, I haven't yet found chickpeas. Still looking.

OOOOOOH! Did I mention that our grocery store now carries seaweed (several kinds, including one for seaweed soup and another for rolling sushi), rice vinegar, and wasabi now? I'm still looking for the pickled ginger and a bamboo rolling mat, but I'm pretty much all set. Although, I suppose I could make my own pickled ginger, and I really don't have to have the bamboo rolling mat. . . But this is a huge step up for Sri Lanka! Yay!

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quid, bamboo mats are sold at our local dollar store... I'll pick some up to go in your eventual package...

We ARE going to get it to you some day. I swear.

We just haven't been buying much chocolate lately.

How early do we have to send it to you to get it to you within a month or so of Christmas?

andi330
Member # 8572

You can't find chickpeas? Have you looked in the garbonzo beans section instead?
andi330
Member # 8572

Tomorrow night I'm having chocolate chicken for dinner. Speaking of which, I need to move the chicken from the freezer to the fridge so it will thaw.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by andi330:
You can't find chickpeas? Have you looked in the garbonzo beans section instead?

[ROFL] *breathe* [ROFL] *breathe* [ROFL] *breathe* [ROFL] *breathe* [ROFL] *breathe* [ROFL] *breathe* [ROFL] *breathe*

Okay, I'm fine now. [ROFL] *breathe* No, really I am.

Um, andi, I think you don't know where I live. Sri Lanka. And I was happy to find red kidney beans the other day - first time I'd seen them here. Shopping is a whole other experience living in this country, let me tell ya!

kq - hey, sure! If you feel like sending me one, I won't argue! I'll let you know if I find any here before it gets sent.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quid, I have looked it up, and they definitely do sell chickpeas in Sri Lanka. You just haven't found them yet. And have you asked anyone yet?
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Nope. Haven't.

Short version of that story - my CPAP's dead, I'm sleep deprived, and on top of constant nausea and headaches, I feel like crap. I'm not going out much at all right now, and what with my impaired memory due to said sleep deprivation, I don't remember to call anyone to ask. But then, it's not an emergency, so it doesn't matter if it waits a while.

But yes, I'm pretty sure it's available here as well. Like you said, I just have to find it. I mean, heck, chickpea flour is available in every grocery store. It's gotta be here somewhere.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Awww. [Frown]

What's the word on the CPAP, btw? Any news?

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Yeah. The company's computer is having problems, so they're having problems with email, which means problems getting prices for us. Even though they know it's a matter of health and medical necessity for me to get that *insert copious profanity here* machine. *grrrr!*

Sigh.

Welcome to Sri Lanka.

digging_hoIes
Member # 6963

- posted      Profile for digging_hoIes   Email digging_hoIes         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister makes humus. It's quite good. I didn't like it at first, but it grew on me.

I, on the other hand, make my own salsa. Yeah, I was surprise that I could cook something more complicated than Kraft Dinner too. And without a recipe!

Posts: 109 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I make salsa just like my dad, and somehow his still turns out better. But my soups beat his all to heck, even when we use the exact same recipe. So it works out. [Wink]
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

My sister makes humus.

Please, please, call it "hummus." For me? Because every time I see "humus," I think "forest floor."
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
See, the thing is, while all the spellings might be correct, humus is the only one that also means something else, and something that would be pretty disgusting to eat. So of all your spelling options, why pick the one that's gonna cause confusion?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan K.
Member # 7720

- posted      Profile for Jonathan K.   Email Jonathan K.         Edit/Delete Post 
hummus, or hommus, or even humus is just a transliteration of the original language, so it doesn't even matter how it's spelled, just so long as it has the same sound
Posts: 220 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't matter except there is a synonym for one of those spellings, and it's the one she chose. Which if read in that way, the thread reads as either sarcastic or gross.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digging_hoIes
Member # 6963

- posted      Profile for digging_hoIes   Email digging_hoIes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Please, please, call it "hummus." For me? Because every time I see "humus," I think "forest floor."
Tom, first I should inform you that in my mean, spiteful nature, asking me to do something because it makes you feel better is likely to make me want to do the opposite. Humus humus humus. However, as I said, this is very mean-spirited of me, which is not something to aspire to, so I will spell it "hummus", as you asked.

Just for you. [Wink]

Posts: 109 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
I have some questions about hummus.

1. What are chickpeas?

2. What does hummus taste like?

3. If I want to try hummus, where is the best place to get some?

Making it is out of the question because I have a limited amount of time, and because I figure you should know have at least tasted something before trying to make it.

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Chickpeas are the same thing as garbanzo beans.

2. Hummus is very garlicky. So if you like garlic, you'll probably like hummus.

3. The best place to get hummus would be a middle-eastern restaurant, if you have one in your area. You could try grocery store hummus, but it varies considerably in quality from brand to brand. I never buy it at the store, so I can't recommend any brands.

Making it by hand is very time consuming, because you have to remove the skins from the chickpeas. If you don't, it will be too thick and goopy.

Oh, and my favorite way to eat it is on pita bread (again, something that's better to get at the restaraunt than the grocery store). Tear off a piece of pita bread and use it to scoop up some hummus. In fact, that is the traditional way to eat most middle-eastern food. And if you're eating with actual middle-easterners, don't use your left hand to eat.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Trader Joe's has great hummus, for store-boughten.

And you can make it really, really easily in the blender. No peeling required. It takes 5 minutes. Seriously.

Derrell
Member # 6062

If I did buy some at the store, I don't think I'd buy it from the one I work at. I wonder if Trader Joe's carries it?
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*points at previous post*
Derrell
Member # 6062

I should point out that my previous post was written before I saw KQ's post.
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
I find that it tastes better without the skins, because they do wierd things to my teeth. Like eating unripe bananas.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh* If only I had a food processor. [Frown]
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

When they're all ground up completely, they don't do anything to my teeth. As long as I add enough oil to emulsify properly.

But if you don't like the skins, you can take the cooked beans, mash part-way-- just about half-smooshed-- with a potato masher, and then pour water over them and wash. Most of the skins float to the top. Then drain and prepare as usual.

Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I looked at this thread and reached for the hummus that I brought from Indiana to Valdosta to enjoy. My roomate ate half of it! I cannot find this stuff in southern Georgia and I do not have the stuff to make it. I am a bit peeved.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Garbanzos are cheap, Allegra. And one lemon doesn't cost much. Oil you should already have. And if you want tahini in it, it's a $2-$4 investment initially, but will last a long time.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
But you need a food processor or blender. My mom occasionally uses canned beans instead of dry ones, and it doesn't turn out badly at all. Allegra, do they have Food Lion as a grocery store, because I was in one in Atlanta, and I know they had Hummus.

I have on my list of requirements for a place I'll live, large bookstore, grocery that has at least some international food and good fresh bread, and must have a park within a twenty minute drive.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I always use canned; too lazy to use dried. [Big Grin]
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite recipe for humus:

* 1 bucket sandy dirt
* 1 bucket of vegetable matter, fresh or rotting
* 2 buckets of leaves
* earthworms, to taste

Stir dirt, vegetable matter and 1 bucket of leaves; cover with the other bucket of leaves. Let sit for three weeks. Season with earthworms, and let sit for 2 months to a year. Serve with a shovel.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

see this is why it should be spelled the other way, I may or may not be able to eat anything for two days
quidscribis
Member # 5124

You don't have to have a food processor to make it. Sure, it's easier with the food processor, but it can be mashed by hand.

Just make sure you add lots and lots and lots of minced garlic. Yum! [Big Grin]

Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Derrell:
I have some questions about hummus.

1. What are chickpeas?

2. What does hummus taste like?

3. If I want to try hummus, where is the best place to get some?

Making it is out of the question because I have a limited amount of time, and because I figure you should know have at least tasted something before trying to make it.

1. Chickpeas (or garbonzo beans) are vaguely round, pale yellow-orange legumes most common to middle eastern cuisine. They tend to be sweet (though less so than, say, kidney beans) and somewhat starchy tasting.

2. Hummus CAN be garlicy (and I like it so) but it varies a lot by recipe. I've seen hummus with sundried tomatoes, with spinach, with vinegar. Many American supermarkets carry it in their deli/specialty foods sections these days. The most common iterations involve garbonzo beans and tahini (a peanut-butter like paste made of ground sesame seeds.) It is usually about the thickness of a bean dip, slightly spicy with hints of tartness, and altogether good.

3. I second ketchup queen's endorsement of Trader Joe's hummus, if you have one nearby, but with a caveat that I found their "hummus nouveau" blend unpalatable. When I make hummus I tend to use the Moosewood Restaurant Cookbook recipe, though I recommend using some water and/or olive oil to thin it, otherwise I've found it too thick to be used as a dip.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm...I loves me some hummus! [Razz]

Humus is quite nice in its own right, but I'd rather not eat that - although I suppose it might be pretty nutritious if no other option was available. [Wink]

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

I made me some today. [Big Grin] I'm in heaven.

Humus humus humus humus humus.

Sigh.

I'm in humus heaven. [Smile]

Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm hummus from Jerusalem... I miss it!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Yay Quid!!! What did Fahim think?
quidscribis
Member # 5124

quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
Yay Quid!!! What did Fahim think?

It's all right here. Check it out. [Big Grin]
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
I like my own homemade chumus better than any commercially made type I have ever had. That way I can adjust the garlic, lemon juice and tahini to my own taste. [Big Grin]

(And, yes, an alternate spelling. Since the original word is not in this alphabet, alternate spellings can be considered correct. There is no one right way to spell it.)

And sorry, Sterling, but those modern variations that you see in the stores these days containing sundried tomatoes and other exotic and non-exotic ingredients are not authentic chumus. [Razz]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Ela, love the alternate spelling! Coolness! [Razz]
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, quid.

I would also like to point out that humus is better if it is not blended to a totally smooth paste. It is supposed to have texture. [Smile]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

quote:
Originally posted by Will B:
My favorite recipe for humus:

* 1 bucket sandy dirt
* 1 bucket of vegetable matter, fresh or rotting
* 2 buckets of leaves
* earthworms, to taste

Stir dirt, vegetable matter and 1 bucket of leaves; cover with the other bucket of leaves. Let sit for three weeks. Season with earthworms, and let sit for 2 months to a year. Serve with a shovel.

That's not gross, trying to eat a hamburger after reading The Jungle, that's gross.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.