FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How old is the oldest thing in your house (or you own)

Author Topic: How old is the oldest thing in your house (or you own)
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
This was just assigned to my US History 2 class, and I've been thinking about it. I think it's probably either an oil lamp that was my grandfather's grandfather's, or it's some piece of furniture, but I'm really not sure. What about you?
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Roman era ring that was dated c. 300B.C. It was an anniversary gift from my Beloved.
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I have several pieces of furniture (trunk, dressing table, dresser, and 2 small cabinets) that belonged to my great grandmother. IIRC, they are about 80-90 years old.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
The oldest things in our place are some arrowheads and spearpoints -- found in Tennessee near Diane's old house. We don't really know how old - could be anywhere from 150 years to a thousand or more.

(The location they were found was obviously a dump for flawed/rejected arrowheads, etc.)

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Olivet, your husband is wonderful,thats so cool.

Ludosti, I think my mom's oak dresser is about that old, my grandma bought it used in 1940.

Sndrake, I've always wanted to find an arrowhead, but there haven't been any found in my woods for about 40 years, and the neighbors still look. In the sixties they found 4 or five.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
My grandma and grandpa's wedding portrait from Germany. They were married in 1920.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
I think either Jamies saber from her grandpa, or whoever, or her grandma's wedding ring.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an illuminated vellum sheet of music from the 1600's. It was a gift from a friend some years ago. He sent it to me after discovering it on a business trip to Ireland, had it framed and sent it for my birthday. It's one of my most prized possessions.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Our house was built in 1900. I'm not sure if anything of its contents are older than it is itself.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I was going through a box and I found an original Game Boy!!!!!!!!!!!!! I feel old. [Grumble]
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
The room itself is the oldest thing in my room. My student residence was built at the turn of the last century.

The next oldest thin, at a very distant second, is me.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

My professor offered the oppurtunity of waiting till after thanksgiving, and including parents recidences and belongings for that reason Teshi. We either have to bring it in or take a picture of it.
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
The house I'm living in for college was probably built circa 1900. It used to serve as a house for Acacia brothers and when Taft came to visit them, he came to our house.

As for thing, I'd have to do some scrounging.

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
A silver dollar from the 1870's.
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a coin from around 600 CE.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...I have a collection of rocks that predate mammals. If you're referring to manufactured items, then it's another matter. I have some old coins, dating around 100 years old, give or take.

Most of the things in my apartment are hopelessly modern; I'm a computer guy, after all.

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've always wanted to find an arrowhead, but there haven't been any found in my woods for about 40 years, and the neighbors still look. In the sixties they found 4 or five.
What you need is a good earthquake to shake up the strata some. [Evil Laugh]

I have a piece of fossilized dinosaur poop somewhere, does that count? Or is this human-made objects? I'd have to think about that.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Thats it, I'll take in a chrynoid stem!
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang! Too slow. I was going to say that I have a fossilized snail shell I brought back from Provence that is surely a couple million years old. Besides that I have a couple of geodes that must predate most species.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh right, we've got fossils and geodes too.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Yeah, we have tons of geodes too, but I think the chrynoid stem might really be the most ammusing. Though to my US History teacher, it might not, so I'll take in a bolt off my dad's 1925 Model T Ford (under restoration), because that's pretty mobile too.
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably my Great-Grandmother's pearls (necklace and earrings). I don't know if they started in the family in an earlier generation or with her. I got them on our wedding day (you can see them here ). We really need to have a daughter so I can give them to her on her wedding day. I don't want to wait until a granddaughter gets married to give them away (like my Great-Grandmother had to wait for my Mom).
Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Byzantine era oil lamp with a certificate verifying that it dates to ~500 AD.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
My Y chromosome dates back to Adam. [Wink]
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My Y chromosome dates back to Adam.
Not ALL of it, I would assume.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

you, nor any part of your body counts! Nor does your grandpa (according to my teacher)
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
My idea of God goes back to Adam as well.

Or do ideas not count either? [Wink]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
Couple of books from the 1920s.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Ooh, books! That's probably it!

I have copies of two volumes of Aunt Jo's Scrap-Bag by Louisa May Alcott that date to the 1890s or so. Those're probably the oldest man-made things in the apartment right now.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Take that back, I have an older book by Frances Hodgeson Burnett.
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Oldest thing I know of is a ring that my grandfather gave to my grandmother for their 10th wedding anniversary. My grandmother gave it to me for my high school graduation. I never knew that grandfather, he passed when my dad was still in high school, so it's kind of the only thing I have of him. I'm guessing that the ring is probably about 60 years old, assuming Grandpa bought it new.

Next oldest (not counting humans LOL) is my Atari 2600 Woody. [Smile]

OH wait, I have first edition Stephen Kings that are definitely older than the Atari, and I probably have paperbacks that predate as well.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
?
Member # 2319

- posted      Profile for ?   Email ?         Edit/Delete Post 
I collect old books. The oldest is from the 1850's.

?

Posts: 219 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't find it now in the mess of stuff I have, but I do have an old dollar coin. Like, from the 1840's.

The oldest things in my house... my parents. Well, actually no. We have this odd little silverware set that my great grandmother bought. (I think it was great grandmother.) So that might be like seventy or eighty years old.

Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure if it's the oldest, but the most interesting old thing I have is someone's scrapbook I found in an old used bookstore. There are random clippings in it from the 1880s and 1890s.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BGgurl
Member # 8541

- posted      Profile for BGgurl   Email BGgurl         Edit/Delete Post 
The oldest thing in the house is a bible from the 19th century. It used to belong to my grandparents, but I'm not really sure why they gave it to us. If you want to know, the oldest thing that I own is a copy of The Hobbit from 1937.

[ October 26, 2005, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: BGgurl ]

Posts: 106 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
? I have an unofficial collection of old books as well. Most are not in good condition, few are well known, and I don't think any are first editions, but some date from the 1850's, and many from the early 1900s. (By many I mean about half a dozen).

I have a remake of a 1920's Emily Post on etiquette.

I have my wife's great grandmother's Christmas tree we still put up each year--about 1920's.

My house was built in 1927, out of stones that are much older.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
A ring that belonged to an ancestor. I would think it's easily 150 or more years old.
Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have to go with my computer. It was used during WW2 to help guide Allied artillery.

I just wish I was kidding.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
My birth certificate.
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, the air in my house has been around forever. But somehow I don't think that counts...
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
1) trilobite fossil
2) fossil fern
3) pocket watch
4) the house
5) me
6) Zenith tube radio
7) dkw
8) old stereo
9) desktop computer with Windows 98
10) the dog (although she moves up if we count dog years)

If I could find the dates, there are some things

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:
The room itself is the oldest thing in my room. My student residence was built at the turn of the last century.

Same here. My residence house was built in 1893.

The next oldest thing in my room is probably one of the things I inherited from my parents' college years. Like the blanket on my bed, or my avocado-green mini-fridge. (The latter was a novelty on my floor when I first got it - people kept coming in and asking to see "the green fridge".) [Razz]

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Good point - I live in what used to be the French consulate in Melbourne, built, I believe, before Canberra was established as our nation's capital. Which would peg it at over 100 years old.
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Currently in my room, the oldest thing I have is an 1896 French edition of the Aeneid in Latin. It's actually wonderful - not too cluttered with commentary and notes, older vocab, and it's fun to read in two languages.

At home, I have no idea. I've got a rock from a red beach on Santorini which is probably pretty old, but I don't count that as an actual "artifact." Maybe in a few years.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
1)Dinosuar fossil
2) A pocket watch
3} desktop computer with Windows 1.5 (or whatever it was that came before 95)

Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EarlNMeyer-Flask
Member # 1546

- posted      Profile for EarlNMeyer-Flask           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a US penny from the 1800's. It think its worth more than $20 now.
Posts: 338 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
3} desktop computer with Windows 1.5 (or whatever it was that came before 95)
That was 3.11 (Before that... I don't know. We were still using the Commodore 64). And I know for a fact there's a 486 at my home running that.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.