FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sudoku Insanity

Author Topic: Sudoku Insanity
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. I'm Lisa, and I'm a Sudoku addict.

When I'm on the train going to work, they have this free paper called the Red Eye. A couple of months ago, the Red Eye started having these Sudoku puzzles in them, and I promised myself I wouldn't try them. I could tell they might be addictive.

But then I heard someone refer to Sudoku as "the Rubik's Cube of the 21st century", and my resolve weakened. I'm geek enough to still play with one of those, so I figured...

Anyway, I've been ensnared by the evil puzzles, and now I'm stuck on one that has me beat. At Websudoku.com, they have four levels: Easy, Medium, Hard, and Evil. I've done some evil ones, but I generally stick with hard. And it's one of the hard ones that is killing me.

You can select puzzles by number on that site, and this one is Hard Puzzle 4,788,776,095. Yeah, they have billions of the wretched things. And I have managed to fill in one number in the entire thing. Other than making wild guesses, I can't figure out what to do with this thing. Other than just ignore it, and if I could do that, this post would never have started.

So. If any of you are victims of Sudoku and would like to have a go at this one, and can get me any explanation at all of how you can figure out more than one number in it, I'd be eternally grateful.

If you are a Sudoku addict as well, don't even look at it. I wouldn't want to be an enabler. <sigh>

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you've created another addict. Though I can only manage the Easy ones by relying heavily on the 'How am I doing?' button. [Frown] I = lame.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firebird
Member # 1971

- posted      Profile for firebird   Email firebird         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having a go ...

So far can only get a 5 in IH.

(Columns lettered from A to H from bottom left hand corner)

argh

Posts: 571 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firebird
Member # 1971

CA = 7

53 to go

Posts: 571 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firebird
Member # 1971

After that you have to do a pair test in the middle row where there is no info ...

I found this site useful for learning how to do these more complicated moves / reductions

http://www.scanraid.com/sudoku.htm

enjoy

[ October 27, 2005, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: firebird ]

firebird
Member # 1971

Star Lisa,

Essentially,

EH has to be 1 or 3
E E has to be 1, 3 or 4
EB has to be 3 or 4

Then either GE or HE has to be a 4

Therefore
EE can only be 1 or 3 (with EH being whatever it isn't ... this is a pair)

Thus EB must be 4

It opens up a bit after that!

Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I got so into it that I forgot that I was supposed to be helping. [Razz] And now I'm done.

All I can say definitively is that it's certainly possible without having to guess at anything.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firebird
Member # 1971

Unfortunately it is one of those tedius ones where you have to constantly look for squares that only have one solution ....

so its just takes a long time.

But completely solvable by logic.

Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Lisa! This is going to be fun.

It would be really easy to write a program to do this. But I won't. Or maybe I will assign it as homework.

Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avin
Member # 7751

- posted      Profile for Avin           Edit/Delete Post 
I've got no clue what the notation you all are using is, but here's another item you can get after the 5 and the 7 mentioned above, before getting anything else:

For the '9' in the bottom row, the square directly above it and the square directly to the right of it must both be either a "3" or a "4". So one of them must be the 3, and the other the 4, but we don't know which is which. Now the square immediately to the left of the 9 can only be either a 2, 3, or 4. Since the 3 and 4 are taken up by the others, this one must be a "2".

This means there must be a 2 directly below the '3' on the leftmost column as well.

Posts: 142 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by firebird:
I'm having a go ...

So far can only get a 5 in IH.

Yeah. That's the one I was able to get. I can't get a single other number. It's extremely frustrating.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
CA = 7

53 to go

Wait. Why CA = 7? Can you explain?
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Alright I've got my copy printed out and my pen is ready.

I do Sudoku's every day in class. *looks around innocently*

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avin
Member # 7751

- posted      Profile for Avin           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not quite sure I like this web interface. It only lets me have 5 pencilmarks per square and the first thing I do when solving these is immediately mark for every square every possible digit that can fit in it, which can often be more than 5 digits. After doing that I find every single puzzle quite easy to solve. In this particular puzzle, there's six pencilmarks I'd like to fit in several squares.
Posts: 142 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Star Lisa,

Essentially,

EH has to be 1 or 3
E E has to be 1, 3 or 4
EB has to be 3 or 4

Then either GE or HE has to be a 4

Therefore
EE can only be 1 or 3 (with EH being whatever it isn't ... this is a pair)

Thus EB must be 4

It opens up a bit after that!

I must be blind. Many thanks.
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, now I'm addicted. I've done 3 easy and they are easy enough, but I'm way below average on the times. [Frown]
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to be stuck on the hard one. Bah.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firebird
Member # 1971

CA = 7

Because

Column C holds 4, 8, 2, 1,
Row A holds 9, 6, 5

Bottom left quadrant hold 3

So if it can't be 1, 2, 3, 4, 5,6, 8, 9

Then it must be 7

Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've done 3 easy and they are easy enough, but I'm way below average on the times.
I'm in much the same place, Karl. They really get easier quite quickly as you go along, though.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
This is so amusing. Finally, something is "trendy" that I already know about. I've been doing these puzzles for years - they've been putting them in Dell crossword puzzle books for quite a while now, although they don't call them "Sudoku". They're still the same thing. I enjoy them although I'm not that good at them.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firebird
Member # 1971

Sudoku became the latest craze in the Uk about 9 months ago ... everyone is doing them.

But now they have come up with mean Killer Sudoku's ... and those require logic and maths. I've lost my mother to them.....'In a minute dear I just have to work out this one number then ....'

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,7-1757275,00.html

pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm getting through the easy ones, but I'm below average in time as well. *shrugs* Oh well.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kettricken
Member # 8436

- posted      Profile for Kettricken   Email Kettricken         Edit/Delete Post 
I discovered suduko on a train journey a couple of months ago. I'm not addicted (yet) but only because I cycle to work so can’t do them then.

I do a few when I go on a long train journey, but end up muttering numbers to myself, so the other people near me must think I’m odd.

Posts: 169 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pariah
Member # 8773

- posted      Profile for Pariah   Email Pariah         Edit/Delete Post 
Man I got through it in 55 minutes (but I used the "how am I doing" button twice at the end)

edit to include: Of course I'm also trying to play a game :-)

Posts: 37 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
UUGGGHHHHHH!!! CURSE YOU!!! (I'm hooked.)

I don't know if I'll be much help in your evil one though. I've completed one of the 'hard' category (it took me close to an hour), and I stick mostly with medium. I think I'm getting better though.

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. That worked better than I thought. 22 minutes. Maybe I'm just lucky today. [Wink]

And I just finished an Evil one.

I don't have a problem ... I can stop any time I want to ...

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by JemmyGrove:
UUGGGHHHHHH!!! CURSE YOU!!! (I'm hooked.)

I did warn you. <grin>

quote:
Originally posted by JemmyGrove:
I don't know if I'll be much help in your evil one though. I've completed one of the 'hard' category (it took me close to an hour), and I stick mostly with medium. I think I'm getting better though.

Firebird's advice got me through that bad one.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Pariah:
Man I got through it in 55 minutes (but I used the "how am I doing" button twice at the end)

edit to include: Of course I'm also trying to play a game :-)

I've never done it on the webpage. I print them out and do them on paper.
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

That would be harder for me. I love using the note-scribble function where you can put several numbers in one box and just delete them later.

I just completed one of the easy ones in 4 minutes 11 seconds. Top 9% Woohoo!!

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Today I beat my first Evil Sudoku (puzzle# Evil 2,186,310,771). No idea how long it took because I printed it out, had given up for a while, and came back to it. It was at least an hour though. You really have to use more complicated logic on the evil setting. Fun, but I think I have a headache now.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.