FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Aboot that Halloween...

Author Topic: Aboot that Halloween...
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I need to make fairy wings. I've got two wire hangers, but I have no tights or anything like that. The closest thing to tranluscent stuff is tracing and marker paper. Help me here. What can I use to either make the paper very stiff or using something other than wire hangers to make the wings stand up. Also, does anyone know how I can make some gelating elvish ears that won't melt? I'll try my Google-fu as best as I can, but I need you guys to help me here too.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Slightly diluted white glue makes an excellent paper-mache stiffener and binder. Beware of colors running, though -- that sometimes happens.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
*takes notes*
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Last time I made an elaborate costume I got some wire from Home Depot that was stiff but fairly flexible. The advantage that has over wire hangers is that it's not already bent, and it's less brittle. With a fair-sized pair of pliers I was able to shape it fairly well.

I got a roll of translucent wrapping paper at a craft store. You might want to look into that. I got green, but they had many different colors.

I sprayed spray adhesive (I work in a design department) onto the paper, stuck it to my wire frame on one side, and sprayed another piece of paper and stuck it to the other side. Then I just trimmed the paper around the wire.

I say if you can find some wire at a hardware store and translucent paper and spray adhesive at a craft store, you'll be in business. [Smile]

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

I have spray adhesive and my roomies have super 77. I'll see if I can make my tracing paper stiffen up a bit since its kinda thin.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
The dollar store has fairy wings...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but it's much more fun to *make* your costume.

::has never worn a storebought costume::

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but does one piece really count as a whole "store-bought costume"? I don't think so.

I'm going to be a Christmas tree for the ward party. Jeff is going to be a Christmas present. Which reminds me, we need to find a big box today...

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I guess that for me, it's okay to buy an item for your costume as long as you're not using it for it's intended purpose. For example, the chest plate that I wore one year as part of a costume started out life as an ab-exercise thingie. I found it at a Salvation Army, took it home, popped it in the oven until it was malleable, shaped it, spray painted it silver, and voila! Chest plate. If I'd just bought a chest plate it would have felt like cheating. I do recognize that that's a pretty arbitrary rule though, and it isn't one I seriously hold anyone to (other than myself).
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder what it would look like to glue (and I mean completely soak with glue) tissue paper to saran wrap to get a butterfly-wing effect. Would the tissue paper stick? Would the saran wrap be too "sticky" itself to work?
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure how to work it, but what about that new cling wrap that's sticky on one side?

I went as a road warrior type one year. To make the upper body armor, I started with football shoulder pads and added black poster board to make a kind of scale mail. I wanted spikes coming out of the top, but I didn't think drunks at a party and nails sticking out of my shoulders would mix well. I glued on incense cones instead. It looked pretty cool when I lit them up.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Very cool, Z!
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
You can make elf ears out of bandaids. I'm trying to remember how exactly, but you pretty much fold the bandaid so that they make little triangles over the tops of your ears, while the sticky ends are attached to the ear itself. Use flesh-colored bandaids, obviously. [Smile]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

band-aids.....check
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
The last time I made fairy wings I used white panty hose over wire hangers and then you can spray paint it and add glitter. It was very pretty. However, the wire on the hangers is so thick, it can be hard to manipulate. It might be easier to get a smaller guage wire.
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solero
Member # 8668

- posted      Profile for solero   Email solero         Edit/Delete Post 
for the wings get a pillow case you dont care about (of the color of the wings) cut out the shapes you want(cut a little more than you need.) then wrap the sheet around hanger and glue the extra part to the other side of pillow case
Posts: 32 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

I don't have any pillow cases....I was thinking I could go as a nymph. They don't have fairy wings do they? My dress is very mythical like, its a two piece my mum got me when I graduated from high school. I've also got the jewelery to go with it, but I tried to make the wings and they looked like crap. I have given up on them...
Instead of the nymph, I could also pull off another trogdor dragon thing like I did in high school for a convention. We had to dress up as dragons, so I got my green shirt that went perfect for impersonating your everyday reptile and used construction paper for the wings and spine. I got a green washable marker to make the scales.

But the thing is, I don't want to be a dragon again, that will be my last resort. Help me become a nymph here!

Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't have any pillowcases, what's on your pillows? *confused*

One year I went as a wood nymph - all I did was wear a green kinda woodsy-patterned dress that I already had (and which I'd made myself [Big Grin] ), then I wore a dark brown long-sleeved shirt under it and dark brown tights, then I made a leafy wreath for my head. I used fake leafy branches for that because I wanted to make sure it wouldn't shed bark bits in my hair, but real things could be used without too much of a hassle - all you'd really need would be some of those twisty-ties that come on bread loaves to hold it together, or scotch tape, or if you wanted to get fancy, florists' tape.

Of course, this idea would depend a bit on what your dress looks like, but it might be a non-winged option. [Smile]

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

I'd go as an air nymph or water nymph because my dress is a greenish blue... air fairies have wings though, don't they?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.