FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Things you'll never outgrow

Author Topic: Things you'll never outgrow
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I just came back from the grocery store, and as is my custom I cart surfed back to the car. I got a few looks, which I ignored. But it started me thinking.

When, if ever, will I outgrow cart surfing (aka riding on the back of the cart with your feet off the ground)? Never, I decided. It's too much fun, and I like a certain amount of irreverence and immaturity in my daily life.

What childish things do you think you'll continue to enjoy for the forseeable future?

My list is:
  • Jumping on trampolines
  • Cart Surfing
  • Water slides

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Cap'n Crunch
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Laughing out loud.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
That's the great thing about having kids, JT. You have an excuse to go back and do all the things you did as a kid, and even if you look stupid doing it, others understand because you're doing it with your kids.....

[Smile]

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
JT - off-topic, but do you think you'll make it over to Carlotta tonight?
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Calling my mom when I don't feel good.
Getting excited about Christmas. And Thanksgiving. And Easter.
Dressing up for Halloween.
My dad cooking me my birthday dinner-- and making me home-made ice cream.
Feeling really special the first time I wear a new pair of shoes or outfit that looks really great.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see any reason to get rid of the "child-like" things - just the "childish" ones.

That means I'll always play video games. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
FG - I think the looking stupid is one of my favorite things about it.

Avadaru - I thought so, but now it doesn't look like I'm even gonna be in BR tonight. I'll be there sometime soon, though, and I'll let you know.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I still cart surf too. [Big Grin]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Bouncing when I'm happy.
Running with my arms outstretched just for the rush of it.
Twirling.
Coloring Easter eggs.
Cuddling under a blanket while I watch a movie.
Reading children's books.
Coloring in coloring books.
Smelling random people's roses when I go out walking.

I figure, if it was fun when I was four, why shouldn't it be fun now? I can just add to my list of things that are fun as I get older. [Smile]

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd the say the top two for me would be reading comic books and watching cartoons. I still do both of those and probably will into the foreseeable future.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
Jokes that the boy in Calvin & Hobbs would think are funny.
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
trying to get as high as possible on the swings
throwing a snowball at someone
making a snowman
climbing a tree
making myself dizzy
watching The Lion King
fingerpainting
late night swimming
etch-a-sketch
repeat everything someone says just to annoy them

Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seespot
Member # 7388

- posted      Profile for seespot   Email seespot         Edit/Delete Post 
skipping
calling my mom when I don't feel good(echoing ketchupqueen)
The Murrays, O'Keefes, and Austins
Cinderella
running as fast as I can through an open field

Posts: 77 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Tickling. Being tickled and being the tickler.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
playing tag
tickling
making silly faces
cartoons
singing
smelling flowers
eating with my fingers
playing with bugs
staying up too late because you're so into the story you're reading
playing video games
running around in rain
playing in puddles and/or mud
sneaking cookies/treats before dinner time

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
peanut butter an jelly sandwiches
apples and peanut butter
s'mores

Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Calling my mom when I'm sick
Having a teddy bear
Dressing up in costume (i.e. for a book or movie launch)
Chasing ducks when I feel sad
Reading kids' and YA books

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
digging in dirt
swinging on swings
riding waves
seeing how high the waves can bury my feet/legs in sand before I panic/get knocked over
picture books
cloud gazing

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Looney Tunes
the Muppets
old episodes of Sesame Street
talking to myself in public
sneaking chocolate chips from the pantry
coloring
Holidays
being a fangirl
hatrack gatherings [Wink]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
playing Nintendo

Screaming at Haunted Houses

Eating ice cream and getting on my clothes

Doing stupid things that no one approves of......which is about everything I do

Anything else I think of later, I don't think I'll outgrow much.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

See, luckily, I don't think video games fall under the section "Childish Things."

My parents might think so, but I've part of the first generation to grow up with video games. As such, we kinda get to decide whether or not they are for kids only. I still play them, and so does almost every one of my friends. I'm thinking that's bound to continue for at least another 10-20 years before I totally retire. Kids have more time for video games than adults, but I don't know...

Swinging on the swing is definitely going on my list, though. I include the dismount as a vital part of the swinging. I also still love building sand castles (but only at the beach).

Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Swingsets and other playground things.
Rolling down hills.
Splashing in puddles (on a particular type of wet day).
Climbing trees.
Crayons.

Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foundling
Member # 6348

- posted      Profile for foundling   Email foundling         Edit/Delete Post 
Picking my nose
Wetting the bed
Being afraid of the dark
Stealing cookies from the cookie jar and lying about it with crumbs falling from my mouth

[Razz]

Posts: 499 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
eating an Oreo
anything in the rain
Duck Hunt
sand castles
skipping rocks
paper airplanes
roasting marshmallows
air guitar
daydreaming

Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
living at home
playing with legos
looking at the toy sections of the ads with envy

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
Eating ice cream for dinner, or breakfast for that matter.
Building forts in the living room.
Singing and dancing up and down the aisles in a grocery store.
Disney movies.

Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Trying to identify the childhood things that I won't give up is too mature a behavior for me to indulge in... LOL

CART SURFING!!! My kids think I'm crazy, I go cart surfing every single week!

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
Laughing and conversing, with equal loudness, with my friends, in public. Shouting from hotel balconies, at eleven at night, in downtown Athens, making the woman down the hall mad (like everyone in Athens, including me, she had a 3:00 AM flight.) Okay, so the later I have only done once, but the former is my favorite pastime.
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
Bouncing up and down when I'm happy.
Running around with my arms outstretched just because I feel like it (especially when I'm running down a hill).
Skipping.
Crunching autumn leaves.
Playing in the snow.
Chasing squirrels and pigeons.
Swinging on swingsets.
Making faces at people.
Running through sprinklers.
Randomly singing and/or making strange noises.
Eating animal crackers.
Eating celery with peanut butter.

And does "cart surfing" mean riding around on a shopping cart while you're pushing it? If so, I do that too.

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Something else I'll never outgrow is eating cheese and crackers or PB&J for a meal.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Building things with Leggos and Lincoln Logs.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yank
Member # 2514

- posted      Profile for Yank   Email Yank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Building things with Leggos and Lincoln Logs.
I'll second that. I'll play with Legos for hours if given the chance. Greatest....toy....ever.
Posts: 1631 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Be courteous, kind and forgiving,
Be gentle and peaceful each day,
Be warm and human and grateful,
And have a good thing to say.

Be thoughtful and trustful and childlike,
Be witty and happy and wise,
Be honest and love all your neighbours,
Be obsequious, purple, and clairvoyant.

Be pompus, obese, and eat cactus,
Be dull, and boring, and omnipresent,
Criticize things you don't know about,
Be oblong and have your knees removed.

Be tasteless, rude, and offensive,
Live in a swamp and be three dimensional,
Put a live chicken in your underwear,
Get all excited and go to a yawning festival.

Alternate last line:
Go into a closet and suck eggs.

Courtesy of Steve Martin, Philosopher Extraordinaire

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Galaga/Galaxians/Tempest/Arkenoid
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
Arkanoid! It's absolutely un-outgrowable. But my game broke, and I don't know of anywhere nearby that has it.

swings!

birthday parties

I'm not thinking very well right now, maybe I'll figure out what else I'm doing that's childlike a little later. And now, back to that homework.

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Laughing loudly over something stupid while waving my hands up and down with pure joy.
Walmart hockey!
Watching disney movies and children's movies.
Reading children's books.
laughing over my goofy rabbit
painting the walls with random splotches of blue paint
making up really stupid songs (though the lyrics are a bit raunchier than when I was a kid)
picking up random leaves and rocks
staring at snowflakes
wanting to make a large snowman instead of just little ones.
action figures
really wanting to build a castle out of wooden blocks just to knock it over
dancing around in a stupid uncool sort of way.
video games
collecting shells
kicking around in leaves

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misha McBride
Member # 6578

- posted      Profile for Misha McBride           Edit/Delete Post 
Eating cookie dough
Pressing every button in the noisy toy aisle
Playing with Legos
Video games
Giggling about farts
Dancing like an idiot
Playing with matches
Getting dizzy on the merry-go-round at the park
Popping bubble wrap
Balancing on and walking along curb edges

Posts: 262 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot about cookie dough and cake batter.
Mmm cake batter.
And bubble wrap, that is some fun stuff.
Making messes and not cleaning them up >.<
And giggling over really just the stupidest raunchiest jokes.... raunchy in a childish way.
Oh, and laughing about puns.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I still sleep with a teddy. [Smile]
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Skipping, playing tag, playing hide-and-seek, talking to my mom like a little girl, popping bubble wrap and hitting back when someone hits me. Oh! And I'm still the queen of the monkey bars!
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I sleep with teddy bears too.

and my blankie.

I'm having trouble distinguishing between adult-like and child-like habits..

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by esl:

I'm having trouble distinguishing between adult-like and child-like habits..

Ha! Join the club.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yeah, choc. chip cookie dough! If I disappear from Hatrack, it's probably due to salmonella poisoning! (that's the one you can get from raw eggs, right?)
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Supposedly, according to my parents, I should have "outgrown" things including but not limited to:

Cartoons
Fantasy novels
Video Games(like DDR and Final Fantasy, which no one too young would understand anyway...)
Sleepovers
Science Fiction(it's a tragedy that my mother wanted me to get rid of Ender's Game. Even my signed copy, she wanted to get rid of. "It's just clutter." NO!!! Those are my prized possesions!)
Manga
Random foreign languages(like Japanese and Italian)
Coloring books(which I use after exams to releave stress)

etc., etc. I find it ridiculous that I should have "outgrown" these things by now. I'm 17. I'm not an adult yet. Can't I have fun when I'm young? Does anyone else find this weird?

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Singing in public
Playing board and card games (and not just bridge, poker, or pinnochole...)
Doodling on scrap paper
Reading comic books... Er, graphic novels [Smile]

Oh, incidentally, old videogame afficionados: are you aware of MAME (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator)? http://www.mame.net

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.