FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cool Quotes

Author Topic: Cool Quotes
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
This was just sent by Fr. David - the rector of the church Nathan and I attend. I quite liked it.

quote:
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist. Dom Helder Camara, Archbishop of Recife, Brazil
What thought-inspiring, or humorous, or touching quotes have YOU stumbled upon lately?
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Wrong is still wrong even if everybody's doing it. And right is still right even if nobody's doing it."
From a Texas Ranger at a trial, as quoted by James Moore in the Huffington Post
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
How does that one go... "What does it do"... "doesn't do anything"... something like that...
Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
NOOOOO!!!

*clutches head and runs away screaming*

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
The "magic of it!" I definitely remember that being a part of that quote too. Now, if only someone could tell me who said it. I can't seem to find it on wikipedia's sister site http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Main_Page.
Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rCX
Member # 8503

- posted      Profile for rCX           Edit/Delete Post 
A historic quote:

"You can trust the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried every other alternative."

-Winston Churchill

Posts: 164 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
"You know? Life's funny - you can sleep off a hangover but you can't sleep off ugly."

-- Walker, Texas Ranger

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure there's a lot more to life than being really, really, ridiculously good looking. And I plan on finding out what that is." -Derek Zoolander
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
A classic: "Speak truth to power." (original reference lost in time, I think)

For the medically-minded: "I never in my life worked for anyone but a patient." (Paul B. Magnuson, Ring the Night Bell)

A soon-to-be-classic: "And you did it because it was the right thing to do. Nobody asks us to go out and fight, put our lives on the line. We do it because we can, 'cause we know how. We do it whether people remember us or not, in spite of the fact that there's no shiny reward at the end of the day, other than the work itself." (Angel, season five)

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zeugma
Member # 6636

- posted      Profile for Zeugma   Email Zeugma         Edit/Delete Post 
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

"Chance favors the prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur

[Smile]

Posts: 1681 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
"What does it do?"
"Do? It doesn't DO anything - that's the beauty of it!"

And no one seems to know the origin, although everyone seems to have heard it.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
"Be excellent to each other!" -Bill and Ted
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

The end may justify the means as long as there is something that justifies the end. --Leon Trotsky
The Rabbit
Member # 671

ā€œRecall the face of the poorest and most helpless person you have seen and ask yourself if the next step you contemplate is going to be of any use to that person. ā€ āˆ¼M.K.Gandhi
The Rabbit
Member # 671

There is an indefinable mysterious Power that pervades everything.

I feel It, though I do not see It.

It is this unseen Power which makes Itself felt and yet defies all proof,
because It is so unlike all that I perceive through my senses.

It transcends the senses....

That informing Power or Spirit is God....

For I can see that in the midst of death life persists, in the midst of untruth, truth persists, in the midst of darkness light persists.

Hence I gather that God is Life, Truth, Light. He is love.

He is supreme good.

But he is no God who merely satisfies the intellect
If He ever does.

God to be God must rule the heart and transform it.

ā€“ M. K. Gandhi
(Young India, October 11, 1928)

Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Both science and art ultimately rest on the same foundation: the ability to draw patterns out of chaos. It's just that when you do science, you observe the chaos; when you do art, you get to define it.
(Bold font mine)

Diana Gabaldon, The Outlandish Companion

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
"I would rather be lucky than good"
Ozzie Guillen on whether AJ Pierzynski was out in game 2 of the ALCS.

Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
"What does it do?"

Here is a thread from SNOPES.COM about this quote.

SNOPES.COM

Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
“Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards, and in high heels.”
-Faith Whittlesey

Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
"The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking ."
JOHN KENNETH GALBRAITH

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
"The bigger the information media, the less courage and freedom they allow. Bigness means weakness."
ERIC SEVAREID

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"What does it do?"

It's from Willy Wonka. I don't remember exactly what Gene Wilder was referring to, but I know it's from Willy Wonka. Maybe I'll rent the movie and find out.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
"This is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put."

Thank you, Mr. Churchill, for giving me my motto.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You can't rule out the impossible, because you never know which of your assumptions about what was possible might turn out, in the real universe, to be false
quote:
Look with hope to your allies, rather than with hatred to your enemies.

quote:
"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclination, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."

John Adams

quote:
"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves."

T.S. Elliot

quote:
"As God Calculates, so the world is made." - Leibniz
quote:
"Make yourself sheep and the wolves will eat you."

Ben Franklin

quote:
"I think the Union army had something to do with it."
-- Gen. George Pickett, years afterward, on why his charge at Gettysburg failed.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
"A wise man speaks because he has something to say. A fool, because he has to say something." -Plato, attributed to Socrates

"Pray for the dead, fight like hell for the living." -Mother Jones

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
"If the doctor told me I had 6 minutes left to live, I'd type a little faster." -Asimov

"Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors... and miss." -Heinlein

This one especially for Hatrackers:
"I never learned from a man who agreed with me." -Heinlein

"Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards." -Heinlein

I have a thing for Heinlein quotes, can you tell?

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atlantis
Member # 8788

- posted      Profile for Atlantis   Email Atlantis         Edit/Delete Post 
"Let justice be served though the heavans fall"

I can't remember from where it originated but it's used in Oliver Stones JFK.

Posts: 37 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
"Later is the best time to do everything." - Garfield.
Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Carrie, I always heard it as "arrant pedantry." But your version is certainly more colorful. [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Evie3217:
quote:
"What does it do?"

It's from Willy Wonka. I don't remember exactly what Gene Wilder was referring to, but I know it's from Willy Wonka. Maybe I'll rent the movie and find out.
*giggle
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
CT, stop encouraging them! [No No]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

quote:
Originally posted by Carrie:
"This is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put."

Thank you, Mr. Churchill, for giving me my motto.

You wanna know MY motto?
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables.

Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" - she always called me Elwood - "In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. And you may quote me.
I love Harvey.
Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's one I just found:

"If it seems to anyone that he has understood the divine scriptures or any part of them, in such a way that by that understanding he does not build up that double love of God and of neighbor, he has not yet understood them." St. Augustine

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
"Too many people enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - JFK

"The better part of one's life consists of its friendships." - Abe Lincoln

"we don't have alot of time on this earth, we weren't meant to spend it this way, human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements." - Peter man

Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JemmyGrove
Member # 6707

- posted      Profile for JemmyGrove   Email JemmyGrove         Edit/Delete Post 
MR. FURIOUS: Why am I doing this again?

THE SPHINX: When you can balance a tack hammer on your head, you will head off you foes with a balanced attack.

MR. FURIOUS: And why am I wearing the watermelons on my feet?

THE SPHINX: I don't remember telling you to do that.

Posts: 270 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.