FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Linguistic Help

Author Topic: Linguistic Help
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so heres my ... dilemma. I have this friend. She's quite ... proper. Not around everyone, but around me she is. So the other day I wrote her a vastly inappropriate email ... in Latin. I had great fun antagonizing her as to its meaning. Until she got a free Latin translator off of the internet and translated it. Quite awkward. So now its become a game between us. I find languages (I have a bit of a knack for linguistics), translate a vastly inapproprate paragraph, and see how long it takes her to decrypt it. But with the internet out there, its immensly difficult to trick her. So ... does anyone have any suggestions for an obscure, hard to translate language?
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Basque.

Linear A.

The Indus River Valley civilization language.

Klingon.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to say Klingon also, or maybe Elvish. The problem is that if you can find a site to translate it into your chosen language, she can also find a site to decode it.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

This is why you find fluent speakers instead [Wink] .

Scary thing is, I know several fluent speakers of several middle earth languages, and know where I could find a few klingon speakers with relative ease.

Not Linear A or the IRV civ language, though [Wink] .

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
When in doube, write it in Ascii Binary.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my teachers in high school volunteered to translate short things into Navajo for us, but that wouldn't work for what you want.

Fugu don't you know Elvish?

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Not a whit.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
You let me down
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epictetus
Member # 6235

- posted      Profile for Epictetus   Email Epictetus         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried Gaelic yet?
Posts: 681 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Navaho?
(Hey, it worked in WWII)

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
hey Dan Raven ascii is what they use for TTY (phones) for the Deaf.... very cool...try to figure that stuff out! - JenniK (former relay operator for the Deaf)
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dh
Member # 6929

- posted      Profile for dh   Email dh         Edit/Delete Post 
Albanian. No one knows how to speak Albanian. Especially Albrecht. Now that would stump her for quite a while, I'm sure.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
How about pig latin based on a language besides english?

quote:
Originally posted by dh:
Albanian. No one knows how to speak Albanian. Especially Albrecht.

I imagine that would present some trouble while writing the note. [Wink]
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Klingon won't work too well. Not if you want it to be difficult to translate online.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
My question to YOU is, where on earth did she find an online Latin translator? I have one that does individual words, but usually translation programs fall utterly flat for anything longer.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
This may be violating the spirit of the thing, but you could also try translating the email into some other language, and then applying a cypher. That'd take a long while to figure out.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
That Klingon translator isnt that great. I just tried it, and words like beef, cheese, and men won't even work.
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to know a little bit of Pulaar (it was the language of the native speaker in my field linguistics class). Nothing improper, though, and I don't remember anything, anyway.
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
If you wrote in English using another language's alphabet, like Japanese, it would be REALLY tough to translate. There's really no transliteration apps out there. I could do it in Japanese for you.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by fugu13:
Scary thing is, I know several fluent speakers of several middle earth languages, and know where I could find a few klingon speakers with relative ease.

Really?

Amazing - and here we all thought it was a colossal joke when the Oregon Health and Human Services advertised for social workers that could speak Klingon . . .

Amazing!

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
what screws me up all the time are idioms. just translate thoughts across through idiomatic expression and no translation program in the world will be able to save her.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Ancient Sumerian. Written in Cuneiform.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
Jefferson Wheel Cipher
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
lol. thanks for all the suggestions. Ryuko, I might take you up on that offer. And when I say 'vastly inappropriate', I mean more ... well, call it 'outrageous' things. Nothing too profane. lol. Idioms would work well. Waddya'll think? Would a cipher be cheating? I told her 'language'. eh, it might be ... but then, I may just do that. What is this Jefferson Wheel Cipher you speak of?
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I could get it transliterated into Hindi or Bengali for you.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you wrote in English using another language's alphabet, like Japanese, it would be REALLY tough to translate. There's really no transliteration apps out there. I could do it in Japanese for you.
Babelfish will translate Japanese, Korean and Chinese to and from characters. The easiest way I can think of to make something untranslatable via web app is to spell it without any special characters (e.g. no accented letters in romance languages, use roomanji for japanese, etc.).
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by dh:
Albanian. No one knows how to speak Albanian. Especially Albrecht. Now that would stump her for quite a while, I'm sure.

My wife is Albanian. If you email me a paragraph, I'm sure I could have it translated for you. I've tried to translate Albanian into English on the internet, and it's almost impossible. [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
How about a programming language? haha

Nothing like good 'ol C++.

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:
Ancient Sumerian. Written in Cuneiform.

[Big Grin]

Anything written in cuneiform. And I speak as a victim of graduate courses in Akkadian and Sumerian.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
There are a number of Mayan dialects that could be fun to use, e.g. Quiche, Kekchi, Mam, Pokomam, Cakchiquel. Unfortunately, I only know about five words in only one of those dialects, so I can't help.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I would vote for Gaelic. It is difficult to look up words in a dictionary because, depending on the words around them, they are likely to start with a different letter than the "root" word.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Reformed Egyptian. [Smile]
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
*snort*

The problem with Gaelic (or any Celtic language) is that a translator won't give you the proper mutations. You really need to know the grammar for that, which is pretty complicated. Otherwise you'll just get the dictionary form, which is just too easy.

Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
quote:
Babelfish will translate Japanese, Korean and Chinese to and from characters. The easiest way I can think of to make something untranslatable via web app is to spell it without any special characters (e.g. no accented letters in romance languages, use roomanji for japanese, etc.).
No, I meant you could take English words and write them using another type of alphabet. For instance, writing Hello my friend in Japanese characters as はろまいふれんど。(Transliterated, it says Haro mai furendo) That won't be translated with a translation app, especially not if you assign random kanji to it. 葉炉舞触れん度!
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

Ok, so how bout I write what I want to say and you freakishly brilliant and resourceful people have fun translating it whatever way you want? Or I could ask each of you individually, but I figure this might be funner. So here's what I came up with. Its not outrageously inappropriate really, but its ... well, if she translates it, it will make her laugh without getting me into too much trouble. hehe.

Greetings my beautiful friend. I will keep this as short and as antagonistic as possible. hehe. haha. I'm in love with you. A kiss from you is what I wish for everytime. But you see me as a beautiful mind and little else. Alas, it is my lot in life. I will bear what must me borne, all for the sake of self-sacrifice. hehe. And now, go ahead, attempt to translate this piece of my thoughts. Knock yourself out. Figuratively of course.

and there it is. I just tossed it together. Heck, for all I know some of it is untranslatable. But if anyone has some time on their hands and/or is bored, I'd appreciate whatever aid could be offered. Thanks!

erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No, I meant you could take English words and write them using another type of alphabet. For instance, writing Hello my friend in Japanese characters as はろまいふれんど。(Transliterated, it says Haro mai furendo)
THAT is a pretty dang clever idea. I think I may do that to people. Except almost all my friends can read Japanese. *sigh*
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

*bump* please?
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
I still favor my pig latin idea.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusta-burger
Member # 8753

- posted      Profile for Rusta-burger   Email Rusta-burger         Edit/Delete Post 
How about Semaphore? She'll have to work it out letter by letter and by herself and you'll both come out having learnt an entire new language. Morse, on the other hand, is easier to send by email. Both are very simple first if you quickly memorise the symbols for each letter/number.
Posts: 75 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cali-Angel-Cat
Member # 8799

- posted      Profile for Cali-Angel-Cat   Email Cali-Angel-Cat         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to speak fluent pig latin. I miss it.

Here's an idea try writing in Romany, the language of the Gypsies or Romanian.

Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.