FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What are you being for Halloween?

Author Topic: What are you being for Halloween?
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
Or what are your children or siblings, or neighborhood kids being for Halloween?

I myself am this cool old westernish bounty hunter/rough rider. It's spiffy, and even sorta ended up looking like something from Firefly.

So lets see what everyone else is.

Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I might wear eyeliner, seriously I see no point in dressing up when I won't see anyone. Friday though I'm dressing up, I'll be a fifties swing dancer.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan M
Member # 8762

- posted      Profile for Nathan M           Edit/Delete Post 
nothing this year, but next year I have it all planned out:

Mr. Chewbacca

Posts: 4 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
So we decided that we could put together an inexpensive Pirate disguise for Sasha (my 5 year old son).

Then my wife gets the wonderful idea of turning his little red wagon into a pirate ship.

OK Papa, here are two free hours. Do your stuff.

After two hours that involve powertools, two yardsticks, some glue and 1/2 roll of duct tape I have the sorriest looking wheeled pirate dingy you have ever seen.

That is when we decided.

Sasha is going as Captain Jack Sparrow during his famous entrance scene.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan. That is AWESOME! [Big Grin]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I was a bag of jelly beans.

It looked good, for most of the evening. The logistics were... slightly complicated, especially when it came to getting into and out of the car.

Never again will I do something like that.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to go as Erik, from Phantom of the Opera, but it turns out tail coats are a tad difficult to come by. Instead my sister suggested the second option of going as Draco Malfoy. So that will be me, and I'm debating straightening my hair yet. I may yet hunt down a Chinese liberation hat (I think I heard it called that...the cap with the red star on it) so I can go as Ranma Saotome next year...or randomly throughout the year if I can't wait >_>
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firebird
Member # 1971

- posted      Profile for firebird   Email firebird         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been a red / black colour blind goth on account of the fact hat I have no black clothes and lots of red ones.

I have also been a hippie. Dress code was anything begining in H!

My other half went as Herpes ... white ballons filled with ketchup and mayonaise and trimmings from his beard ... it was revolting.

Posts: 571 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SingerGuy59
Member # 5934

- posted      Profile for SingerGuy59   Email SingerGuy59         Edit/Delete Post 
Saturday we had a big gathering at my in-laws. My father-in-law is a large man, and he believes in dressing for comfort, so he usually is found wearing bib overalls. My wife, daughter and I went to the family party all wearing bib overalls. We didn't have to say a thing when we took our coats off. The whole family burst into laughter. He laughed hardest. It was great, and now I've got a lovely pair of bib overalls to wear around the house, which my wife doesn't want me to wear very often lest I start to remind her of her dad. [Wink]
Posts: 16 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctm
Member # 6525

- posted      Profile for ctm   Email ctm         Edit/Delete Post 
My daughter is going to be a twi'lek from Star Wars. We finished the costume last night, it's pretty darn good. She's so excited she can't sit still. This is her last year trick-or-treating so she wanted an extra-special costume.
Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
argyle
Member # 8794

- posted      Profile for argyle   Email argyle         Edit/Delete Post 
The several costume parties I went to this weekend were as As from evil dead, complete with a chainsaw on my hand.
Posts: 3 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KPhysicsGeek
Member # 8655

- posted      Profile for KPhysicsGeek   Email KPhysicsGeek         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going as Faramir, my wife as a kangaroo.
Posts: 68 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I changed my mind, I'm a sick college student with a migraine.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ben
Member # 6117

- posted      Profile for Ben   Email Ben         Edit/Delete Post 
My friend Jonesy and I were the Beastie Boys from the Sabotage video on saturday night. we were missing a third but we still had fun.
Posts: 1572 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Junebug is going as the Tooth-fairy-- her idea.

Super-K is going as a skeleton.

Litebrite is going as a chicken.

Inkling is going as Santa Claus.

[Big Grin]

All costumes are hand made by my talented spouse.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I already posted this in the costume photo thread that KQ started, but for a Halloween Party on Saturday I went as Jesus.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
My ten year old sister and thirteen year old brother have decided that they were too old for trick-or-treating. So, I'm showing them it's the cool thing to do, especially at 16.
And is there anything better than Dent Arthur Dent? I think not.

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
For the party our professors' hosted, my roommate and I went as the Bruces from the Monty Python skit. Even sang "The Philosopher's Drinking." Took home two awards including Best Overall.

Tonight I'm going as a geisha. Full makeup. Haven't actually made my kimono yet. But I figure with enough glue and some creative stitching, I'll be able to turn it out fast enough.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
work had a "theme" for each of the departments. Ours was websurfing... so I went as a software pirate. complete with a longsword (didn't have a scimitar.) I really didn't think they'd let me bring a REAL sword to work, but they did.

I had the eyepatch and a ren faire outfit w/ bodice and everything, but hanging from the drawstrings I tied 3.5" disks.

Now our little shindig is over and I"m back to professional attire. At last, I can breath.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
A Persian monarch.

Oh, no, wait - that's Purim. [Razz]

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

Her last year trick or treating ctm? How old is she?
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Pixie, I have a friend who went as a Software Pirate a couple of years ago.

Instead of an eyepatch, he tied string around a cd and hung it over one eye. The rest of his costume was a mixture of the technical and the classic pirate.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan,

Wish I'd thought of that =)

cept my costume was more ren faire than pirate. I *really* needed an eyepatch to make it convencing (since I didn't get the parrot for my shoulder I was promised.)

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctm
Member # 6525

- posted      Profile for ctm   Email ctm         Edit/Delete Post 
Hamson... she's almost 12. Around here kids don't usually go trick-or-treating after that.
Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I will be myself. For that is the scariest thing I can think of. That and we (my roommate and I) aren't even putting out any candy. Not when there's maybe 4 kids that live on this little dead end road in the middle of nowhere.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

Dang, it was a bad year. Seems like there were a lot less houses open and kids out. I'd say on average, 1 in every 3 houses was candy giving. Maybe a little more often then that. We went out for about 2 hours, from 7-9 (same time we went last year) and got about 50% less candy. It started raining at about 8, but it wasn't very bad. We were all suprised about how we were almost never compensated with the amount of candy, even though we were some of the only kids in the neighborhood out in the rain. So yeah, we got like 9 pounds.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.