FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A cancer story - an extremely scary day - pg 7 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: A cancer story - an extremely scary day - pg 7
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Nurses are amazing, aren't they, Belle?
I mean, no slam on doctors, but frankly, the nurses are the ones who are there doing the caring. I would see the docs one minute per day, and the nurses all day.

Belle, where is your central line? Mine was in my leg.

And, um (TMI TO FOLLOW)
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

>

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Boy did I wish I had kept up on the shaving! When they took the tape off, well, I need say no more.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth it was in my chest. When I was out during the surgery they tried to put one in my neck, but they missed. So the did the sub-clavian on my chest.

I was shocked when they pulled it out how long the catheter was - I mean that sucker was way down in my chest! But it was nice having it in there, especially since they could draw blood through it. They kept sticking me to test my anemia, which seems counterproductive if you think about it. They really wavered on giving me blood, but my surgeon told me that recent research had come out that colon cancer patients didn't do as well if they received transfusions so he was willing to let me be symptomatic from the anemia to avoid the transfusion. But a good bit of my weakness and dizziness was due to that.

Now I'm faithfully taking my iron tablets every day and I can already tell a big difference in my energy level.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
accio
Member # 3040

- posted      Profile for accio   Email accio         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Belle)))

You’ll be in my prayers.
Hung in there and get a lot of popsicles to get the bad taste out of your mouth.
Are you in UAB?

Posts: 333 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Once again I'm just saying hello. The staples are gone, yay!

There is one little thing - there was a spot on my liver that the surgeon believes is a harmless cyst. But, to be certain it's just a harmless cyst, he wants me to have an ultrasound on my liver next week. So I have to go in and do that. Then I'll schedule another visit with him to check me over and make sure I'm healing okay, then he'll schedule the procedure to insert my port. I will be asleep when he does that, he says they have to do it in the OR.

Then, on the 16th I go to the oncologist to get prepared for chemo. Looks like I won't actually start chemo until December. I'm going to try and time it so I'm not having chemo the week of Christmas.

accio, I'm not at UAB. I went to Brookwood because that's the hospital where I've had all my surgeries before and where I had all four kids. So far I'm completely happy with the way things are going and don't see a necessity to move to UAB for care.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Belle.

*big hug

You are amazing.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Got a bunch of cards today including one from Xavier and Val. Thank you guys, it really lifted my spirits. [Smile]

Having a setback kind of day. I'm in a lot of pain, which is odd because I'd been doing better with pain. I think it's because I did too much yesterday.

Now I'm starting to get nervous about chemo. I know it will be okay, but I'm bummed that the holidays may be taking place with me feeling bad. Tonight my mom and hubby and I are going to start working up a list and a budget, and I'm going to try and do some shopping before the first chemo treatment. I'll need more energy than I possess today, though. I don't know why I felt bad today, it's just not been a good day.

ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
:/

Hope it's just today, and you wake up feeling great tomorrow. *hugs*

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Doing too much because you're feeling better can do that. So don't do that! [Wink] (The "doing too much" part, not the "feeling better" part.)

(((((Belle))))) Hope you're feeling better in the morning.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Belle))))
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Hang in there honey and take care of yourself. Don't over-extend even though the holidays are coming up. (((Belle)))
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, I'm so sorry you're having to go through this! *hugs*

My mom was in chemo and radiation for breast cancer (she's been in remission for a year), and she was constantly pushing herself to do more than she could handle - she's an example of what not to do in this regard. [Wink] Don't feel guilty or anything if you have days where you just need to stay in bed and relax - listen to what your body's telling you. It'll be a rough road, but it will get better. [Smile]

((((Belle))))

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, I just wanted to let you know that my whole family prays for you every day.

I sent you something that I hope you don't already have - feel free to return it if you do.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Belle)))

You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Hi everyone.

Better day today. I'm getting energy back and the pain is tolerable.

Wednesday I go to have my liver checked out via ultrasound. I'm not really all that nervous, because my surgeon is convinced it's a cyst and not cancer and since he saw it I figured he ought to know. Besides, all my lymph nodes are clear and it would be very unlikely that it metastasized to the liver without involving the lymph nodes.

Still, it's one more thing on my plate to consider. Today was my first day home by myself. My aunt was here until Friday last week. But the kids are in school and I'm alone and I was positively decadent - I went back to sleep after they got on the bus. I haven't slept during the day like that in forever, but I felt better when I got up. I haven't been sleeping well, because I'll try to turn over in my sleep and it will hurt, so I wake up often.

You are all so, so wonderful, I just can't express it. My spirits are always lifted when I check this thread. Thank you, again, from my heart.

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
And thank you for being so strong. [Smile]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Keeping you in my prayers. My small group is praying for you as well. One lady, who is a cnacer survivor, said to remind you that stress hormones are the worst thing in the world for a cancer patient, so no worrying allowed.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Got two hatracker cards yesterday - from Shigosei and Elizabeth. [Smile] *hugs*

Found out that while coughing is uncomfortable it's nothing compared to sneezing. Ouch.

Tomorrow is my ultrasound for the liver. I'm going to be looking up information on liver cysts to reassure myself all will be okay.

Other than that, not much to report.

larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle,

Sneezing with stitches.... oowie. I hope you are feeling much better today. Good luck with your ultrasound. I would like to send you a card, if you don't mind.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure how it works with chemo, but when my dad was having radiation therapy it took a fair while (close to two weeks) for the side effects to start manifesting. If the side effects of chemo are faster you may still feel bad over Christmas, but if they're slower they may not start until after Christmas (depending on when in December you start the chemo).

Like I said, I don't know, but I hope it's the latter.

[Smile]

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, just want to give you my good wishes for a speedy recovery. You are in our prayers.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Ultrasound went well. So well I decided I had enough energy to go shopping, so I did.

Then I spent the evening on the couch totally exhausted and went to bed an hour early with my new copy of A Feast for Crows in hand, thinking to read it completely and didn't get very far. (I had actually started reading it earlier in the day and figured I could finish it in one day. No can do. However, I did finish it this morning. [Wink] )

The official report from the doctor isn't back yet on the ultrasound, however the tech told me all I needed to hear while being sure to tell me she wasn't a doctor and couldn't tell me anything - she said "but what I see is good news for you."

The cyst is apparently very small, and from what I've read liver cysts are not all that uncommon and seldom a cause for concern. So that is one thing out of the way.

Next week we see the oncologist. That will be a very important appointment, as she will be telling us about the chemo. The surgeon wants to put the port in soon after we talk to the oncologist so I'm going to call today and try to get that scheduled.

One weird thing - if I press down on the incision there is a hard mass underneat the incision. It's actually the whole length of the incision, not painful to palpate but definitely a hard mass. Is that scar tissue? I know I could call the surgeon's office and ask, but it's not painful or anything, just strange. I'll tell him about it when I see him again and ask if it's normal.

Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
It's probably the precursor to scar tissue. The healing wound takes more space up with all the work it is doing. That's my unscientific view of it. "Granulation tissue" might be a more medical word for it, but I'm not quite sure that is the right word for it.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Thanks Theaca I figured it was something like that.

I got a wonderful gift from Mrs. M today. And, one of the instructors from my class emailed me to tell me the class had signed a card for me. I thought that was really sweet.

I called the surgeon's office but they won't schedule the surgery until after the oncologist orders it, so I couldn't get that done which might mean we won't get started with any of this until after Thanksgiving. That would be nice, actually, I could enjoy the holiday with my family. (and we have lots to be thankful for!)

Insurance papers came today. Everything was covered fine, but it was amazing to see the long list of charges. And the surgeon's bill wasn't even part of it! I thank God for insurance, this would have bankrupted us had we not had it.

If anyone out there doesn't have health insurance - try to get some type of affordable coverage. I know it's hard, but do try. I was healthy and young and no history of this type of cancer in my family so I'm proof that these types of catastrophes can happen to anyone.

Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, I sent you an email. Did you get it? Would it be okay if I called you tomorrow?
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Thoughts, prayers and love to ya, Belle.

(And has anyone heard from NFL recently?)

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Olivia, I did not get the email but of course you can call me.

The doctor called with the results of the ultrasound and as expected, it's a cyst and nothing to be concerned with. He said to write that one off and quit thinking about it.

Next, we just wait until we meet with the oncologist and see where to proceed from there.

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Fantastic news about the cyst! Here's hoping you can take the most benign course of treatment.

I'm glad you like the gift. I tried to choose the stain that matched your bedroom (which I recall as being red?), but that you can paint if you don't like it.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
(((Belle))) I've been scarce lately but I just wanted to send you a hug.

Did you know bowel cancer is the #2 cancer in our state [Wink] ? I guess Utah doesn't have quite so much Lung cancer.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Hooray for good news on the cyst!!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Woo hoo!

Got the first check from the cancer policy today, which will make up for the hospital co-pay we had to pay as well as the lost income from Wes spending so much time in the hospital with me.

Man, I'm so glad we didn't cancel that policy. It is really going to be a big help.

On another note, my grandmother would have been pleased to hear that I'm getting all my thank you cards written for the flowers I received in the hospital and to all the people who brought food and sent gifts and did other wonderful things for me and my family. Of course, I would be writing notes forever if I sent one to everyone who expressed well wishes or offered prayers including all you guys here.

The "most unexpected award" goes to a company that I never even worked for. I used to work at a pharmaceutical company - six years ago. Right before I left, three guys split off from that company and formed a new pharmaceutical company. They wanted me to go to work for them but they couldn't afford me at the time, and then when I got pregnant with the twins and decided to stop working it became a moot point. Anyway, this company that I never even worked for and is made up of people that for the most part haven't seen me in six years sent me flowers. I was stunned. Heck, maybe when I'm ready to start working again they'll hire me. [Wink]

Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle - I'm so glad to hear that things are progressing well. I'm sure with your strong determination and God's grace you will beat this. Someday you will be at one of your children's weddings and look back in amazement. I know a lady in my church congregation who contracted breast cancer at a very young age. Her kids were still small. She beat it and now has 3 or 4 grandchildren, two children on missions and a son in college. You'll make it through too.

Love Wendybird

Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I am glad to hear things are going better. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

So yesterday was the appt. with the oncologist.

It went well, I really like her and so did Wes. I remembered her some from the hospital but it was his first time meeting her. She is very personable, even funny and spent a lot of time talking to us.

I will be doing a pretty standard colon cancer chemo regimen of oxaliplatin and 5-FU. Leucovorin, a reduced folic acid, is also given with the 5-FU because it helps it work better.

The way it will work is I will go into the office on a Monday and be hooked up to an IV infusion of oxaliplatin. The infusion will last about 3 hours. I'll also receive the leucovorin. They will push some 5-FU at the end of the session, then they will program a pump with the rest of the 5-FU and I'll take that pump home with me so the 5-FU can continue to be infused. On Tuesday I'll go back for another infusion of oxaliplatin and leucovorin. That one will be shorter, about 2 hours. Again, they'll push some 5-FU and send more home in the pump. On Wednesday I'll go back, and they will flush out the port and remove the pump and give me an injection of some type of anti-nausea (I forgot the name, and Wes has all my notes) They will also send me home with a prescription of phenergan to help with the nausea.

I'll do this every other week for 6 months, a total of 12 treatments. I was warned that side effects sometimes don't show up until after a few treatments (that gave me hope I may still feel pretty good at Christmas!) My first treatment begins on December 5th. Next Monday I meet with the surgeon so he can give me another post-op exam and schedule the insertion of the port. We hope to have it inserted the week after Thanksgiving, but it might even be done the same day - on the 5th.

Biggest risk of side effects are nausea, fatigue, reduced immunity (I was instructed to get a flu shot and a pneumonia shot and for the entire household to get flu shots as well.) Some neuropathy in the hands and feet which will probably include numbness and tingling, and a heightened sensitivty to cold, especially in the hands and mouth/throat. I should wear gloves when outside, avoid taking things out of the fridge or freezer (unless I use protection on my hands) and drink and eat everything at room temperature or warmer for the first four or five days after treatment. The doctor is concerned most about anemia, since I have a problem with it, so she said they'll watch it carefully and intervene with iron or with a drug like Procrit if necessary. She did tell me the best way to combat fatigue is to stay active and encouraged me to go walk at the track every day, but that I should get adequate sleep, maybe even an hour or two more per night but do not spend the whole day as a slug on the couch.

I've lost 20 pounds so far. I was happy about that, but the doctor wasn't thrilled. She reiterated how important it was for me to stay hydrated and well nourished. The reason I've lost weight is all the days in the hospital on a liquid diet and the fact that I have no appetite at all, and (TMI warning!) my system hasn't adjusted yet to having such a large portion of my colon removed so I spend a good bit of time in the bathroom.

I'm a little nervous, I admit. I know it's necessary, and that it will help me and I need to do it but the idea is still a little nerve-wracking.

With family support and with God, I know I'll make it through, but I must confess to being a bit scared.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Hang in there. It sounds rough, but at least you know what is coming now.

Been keeping you in my thoughts.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
You're going to make it. I'll keep you in my prayers and hope that the side effects of the chemo won't be horrific. *hugs* I'm thinking of you, thanks for keeping us updated.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

Well, I've spent the last hour calling around for flu shots.

And there aren't any. Even when I explained my situation, I couldn't get one. My family doctor is out, they may get some next week, but it's first come first serve, I asked if I could be placed on a priority waiting list, but they said no.

So...I called the oncologist and spoke to a nurse and asked how important it was. She said for me - very important. Definitely do all I can to get one. For the kids, not as critical, I didn't need to break my neck trying to get theirs. The pediatrician said there just really aren't any pediatric doses available - they've already given out they have and have been told they most likely won't get any more. I even called Children's Hospital.

So it doesn't look like I can get flu shots for the whole family. But I will get one for me, my Mom's company is giving them out and she said I can get one, it will cost me $25. I said fine. So I'll get one next week, before I start chemo.

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Grrrr. It's really a pain when the people who really need flu shots can't get them. My mother had the same problem last year (with all the shortages). She has several immune disorders and needs to have a flu shot every year, but was unable to find anyone who had them. I ended up asking my doctor (who had been her doctor several years ago) if he could give her one, since his office had some (so luckily she was able to get one).

It sounds like you've got a challenging holiday season ahead of you, but I'm glad you have a good docter and a good plan for treatment. I'll be thinking and praying for all to go well for you.

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Belle, I'm glad to hear you're doing well and you've got a good plan of attack in place with a doctor you like and can talk to. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad to hear you're doing well.

Do you have to be lying down for the IV infusions, or are you allowed to be propped up and doing something like reading a book or even a gentle craft?

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

Propped up would be my guess. The more modern infusion centers I've seen actually have attached desks with built in computer/dvd players. Pretty cool. I don't know how common those are, though.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

Belle, I'm outraged that your family can't get flu shots. Who could possibly need them more than y'all do?!?!

quote:
I'm a little nervous, I admit. I know it's necessary, and that it will help me and I need to do it but the idea is still a little nerve-wracking.

With family support and with God, I know I'll make it through, but I must confess to being a bit scared.

It is so much to your credit that you're not hiding under your bed, screaming your head off. I'm glad you like your doctor - that is so important. It sounds like there is a good, effective plan in place, but that can feel overwhelming, I imagine. I have faith that you'll get through this and I pray every day that you have the most benign course possible.
Theaca
Member # 8325

quote:
Belle, I'm outraged that your family can't get flu shots. Who could possibly need them more than y'all do?!?
Nobody, but there are tons of people in America in the same boat, or nearly, that can't get their flu shots either. I can't BELIEVE we have a flu shot shortage for the third year in a row. The recommendation at this point is for everyone to get a flu shot, so it is first come/first serve all over the country.
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
[derail]Do you want to know something even stupider?
Here in France we're short of flu shots as well, but it's the first time, and do you know why we're short? Because there has been a lot of people stupid enough to think the shot would protect them against bird flu, so they all jumped on it when they didn't need it and now we can't protect the weaker amongst us (old people and people having pulmonary problems).
It makes me so mad.
[/derail]
Belle, I'm so glad to hear you're feeling well with your doctor, that's important. Add me to the list of the people who are impressed by your courage. *hugs*

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The recommendation at this point is for everyone to get a flu shot, so it is first come/first serve all over the country.
Some county and city health departments are trying to keep some in reserve for the very young, very old, and high-risk, but they often have a hard time keeping their supplies up because pharmacies and such buy them up first. *sigh*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
About the flu shots:

Belle, since you're in school, do you think you could go to your school's clinic and get one there? Our health center is offering something called Flu Mist for $20 to students. I called my pediatrician, and she said that although they don't use it because it's not approved for children, it's just as effective as the shot for adults, and it's supposedly much easier on the person who gets it.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

Flu mist is only for healthy adults, noone with immune compromise should take that, nor anyone with asthma. I'd not recommend that for her currently.
Belle
Member # 2314

I am fine, I can get a flu shot, no problem. Its' the pediatric doses that seem to be impossible to find.

My pediatrician did say I could call back next week, but they weren't hopeful there would be any.

So I'll just have to pray the kids do not get sick, and that if they do my flu shot protects me.

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Theaca:
Flu mist is only for healthy adults, noone with immune compromise should take that, nor anyone with asthma. I'd not recommend that for her currently.

I didn't know about the asthma thing, but I thought the flu shot was bad if you had a compromised immune system to begin with.

How bad does the asthma have to be to prevent its use?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

See, flu mist is a live attenuated vaccine, so that an immunocompromised perseon could catch flu from it. The flu shot is a killed virus vaccine. You CANNOT get flu from a flu shot.

I dunno about the asthma bit, as far as I know, if you carry an asthma diagnosis, you arent supposed to take flu mist, period. Also you can't take it if you are over 50.

So flumist is definitely the one that is more dangerous for people with health problems and poor immune systems.

[ November 18, 2005, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: Theaca ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
It's because asthma is one of the high risk factors for flu-- if you get it, you're at higher risk to die from it. So they don't want you taking a vaccine that may give it to you, because you're more likely to end up with complications. That's how it was explained to me, anyway.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.