FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What are YOU having for dinner tonight? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: What are YOU having for dinner tonight?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight is leftover night. We have soup from yesterday and some chicken and rice and broccoli from the day before, plus salad. Lots of choices. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Or, tomorrow is leftover night. My almost-step-sister called. She's in town for a wedding (of a friend of hers whom I know vaguely but had no idea was getting married) and they have just decided we will have a family dinner tonight. Since we were planning leftovers, that's fine with me, they can wait until tomorrow. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
I really wish I knew. I think it's going to be "Whatever The Baby Let Mom Cook Surprise."
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Whatever The Baby Let Mom Cook Surprise."
Hey! We have that here all the time!!

[Big Grin]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, that's one of my favorites. [Big Grin]
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I just had tomato soup and a tuna sandwich.

Nathan doesn't like tuna. [Frown]

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

Yummy!

*pads off to the kitchen to hunt for cans of soup and tuna*

Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Chicken breast, noodles, and asparagus.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mackillian:
I just had tomato soup and a tuna sandwich.

Nathan doesn't like tuna. [Frown]

And you don't like pasta. No tuna-noodle casserole for you two!

That's ok. More for me. Not that I've made it for a while.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cali-Angel-Cat
Member # 8799

- posted      Profile for Cali-Angel-Cat   Email Cali-Angel-Cat         Edit/Delete Post 
Dinner? Instant Herb and butter mashed potatoes.
Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Over-ate at an Indian buffet for lunch and strangely felt no need for dinner.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I made Nasi Goreng (it's spiced fried rice that I always load with lots of veggies in it) and green curried Thai chicken. Yum!

Had the leftovers for lunch today, and it was even better! Yummy!

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

Last night we had...tuna patties, mac-n-cheese, and corn. Too much starch, but I was feeling lazy.

Tonight I'm going to be even lazier and have the husband pick up a pizza for him and the kids. I will be eating a pb&j on the way to my Brownie training.

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And you don't like pasta. No tuna-noodle casserole for you two!
No, no. I LIKE pasta. I actually LOVE pasta. I just can't eat it unless it's the whole wheat kind. Stupid hypoglycemia whatever. [Mad]

And I love tuna noodle casserole. I don't know why. I just do.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably pizza.

I like to cook but I prefer to do it with fresh ingredients. Since Friday is Grocery Shopping Day there is a dirth of freshness in the fridge come Thor's Day....

Tomorrow I think I'll make Chicken Enchiladas.. my hubby LOVES those.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm going to make some turkey chili (gr. turkey, canned tomatoes/beans/corn, onion, chili powder) for dinner tonight. Anyone have any great chili ingredient/flavoring secrets I should try?
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

Chocolate. Just a little. Not the kind with sugar.
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have any baking chocolate, but I'm fairly certain I have some cocoa powder. I'll have to try it!

Other interesting additions I've heard -
cinnamon (not tried it yet)
beer or coffee (I don't consume/cook with alcohol/coffee so these are out - though I may try some powdered Postum - I use it often in beef gravy)

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Today my nan cooked "mkate mayai" which is basically beef mince curry with eggs baked on top. It was gorgeous and there's enough for us to eat tomorrow as well! Yay! There are definitely good things about living at home!
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Tonight we had a quick but tasty meal: microwaved "baked potatoes", salmon, salad. I pan-grilled some salmon steak rounds, and made a simple white sauce, adding some garlic, fresh-ground pepper, and dill. I cut the potatoes in half and then sliced on the bias, arranged them on the plates with the salmon, and smothered them all in the lovely white sauce. In the meantime, Jeff made a salad of romaine and avocado (fresh from Rivka's parents' tree) and tossed it with a very small amount of bacon ranch dressing. It was absolutely delectable.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mackillian:
No, no. I LIKE pasta. I actually LOVE pasta. I just can't eat it unless it's the whole wheat kind. Stupid hypoglycemia whatever. [Mad]

Right! I forgot that part. I just remembered you don't eat it. Got confused about the why.

kq, glad the avocados are being enjoyed. You know, since my parents are being deprived of them and all. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Tony just informed me that he has bought 18 oysters and two lovely veal steaks for dinner.

[Big Grin]
[Smile]
[Big Grin]

(It's Friday and I've had a shocker of a week - so I get spoiled tonight. Plus, yesterday was pay day. [Smile] )

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
You know, since my parents are being deprived of them and all.
[ROFL] Always glad to help out. Tell your dad we're enjoying them very much. [Wink]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
<--wants a fresh avocado

<looks around>

sigh, in New Jersey, they a purely mythical.

I got up early today to cook for tonight. Homemade golden chicken soup. Gefilte fish baked with tomatoes. Homemade "Lazy Lady" Bread (I named it after ME). Store bought Challah. And Cholent made with flanken and pastrami in it.

KQ -- I've never done it before, but you inspired me to stick some clove-studded onions in my cholent. I'll let you know how that went.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight, we're having leftovers. But, they're good leftovers - straight from Fahim's mom's kitchen. [Big Grin] We had lunch there. Curried chicken, curried beans, curried potatoes, curried eggplant (aka aubergine, aka brinjal), and ghee rice.

Yum!

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Luck-ee...
quidscribis
Member # 5124

[Big Grin] Yeah. And... She's tickled pink that I'm asking her how to make stuff. Like her world-class wattalapam (jaggery custard - oh, so good!) and she's voluntarily giving me her recipes. [Big Grin]

Yep, I'm a lucky girl. [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Hmm.

Does she have an objection to you sharing said recipes with your dear, dear friends in America? [Big Grin]

Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
I spent all day making a beef stock from a cross cut shin.

Thats not dinner tonight, though. I had sloppy joes for dinner. The soup is for tomorrow. It will be a beef potato and barley soup by mid-afternoon.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

My dad invited us out to dinner. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(Of course, that's not for a while. So I had a microwaved potato with sour cream, ketchup, and more home-grown avocado. [Big Grin] )
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
The remnants of my shattered soul.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

kq- probably not. [Big Grin] The wattalapam recipe I have quantities for. The curried eggplant recipe I don't - I have ingredients and instructions. For that one, you'll be better off waiting until I know approximate measurements if you've never had it before and don't know how it's supposed to taste.

On the other hand, I'm willing to bet you really care about the wattalapam.

Do your Indian grocery stores there carry jaggery? While brown sugar can be used as a substitute for jaggery in some recipes, I would really recommend NOT doing that for this - the jaggery is far too important.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I have actually seen jaggery at an Indian store in Richardson. I haven't been to one in LA since I got here-- they're all much farther than the Korean and Armenian markets from where I live, so I won't seek one out until I have a special need for something that the others don't carry-- but I'm willing to bet that they would. [Smile]

I'm excited. [Big Grin]

For dinner my dad took us to a Mexican place. I had sopa de albondigas, a soft taco with carne asada, and a sope with chicken, plus, of course, beans and rice. And some lemonade. [Smile]

Jonathan K.
Member # 7720

- posted      Profile for Jonathan K.   Email Jonathan K.         Edit/Delete Post 
I went out and got thai food: pad thai, panang curry, and green curry
Posts: 220 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskullvw
Member # 1549

- posted      Profile for Redskullvw   Email Redskullvw         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing.

I ripped the walls out of my kitchen, have no counters or cabinets, and additionally forgot to go grocery shopping. In a week or two i should have a kitchen.

Posts: 110 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
We had beef stroganoff tonight. Haven't had that in months. And lots of leftovers for work lunches [Smile]
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Don't know what we'll have for tonight. We're out of leftovers and we're going grocery shopping this afternoon - the fridge is nearly empty. Unfortunately, that also means I have to cook. [Frown] I'm just not in the mood.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Don't you have the equivalent of fast food? I thought I heard something about road-side curry and rice vendors. [Smile]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

[ROFL] Yes, kq, we do. However... the rice & curry packet place we go to is only open for lunch, and we don't know the quality of the other places in this neighborhood. To make matters worse, we have to be concerned about Halalness, and that limits choices.

Dominoes is having a special right now - 4 personal pizzas for Rs.500, or $5 - and that's a great price for here for pizza, which is considered a luxery food. But... since I've been feeling so lousy the last couple of months, we've ordered it a couple of times already, and poor Fahim is getting sick of it. Pizza's not his favorite food, and honestly, it's not that healthy for me.

McDonalds isn't Halal, and besides, McDonalds? Our favorite Indian restaurant down the road - Tamatje's - is still there, but did the typical Sri Lankan new restaurant thing - had great food (and I do mean absolutely superb) and cheap, too - but after a couple or three months, the owner's inevitably fire the chef who's too expensive and they hire local cooks to imitate what the good chef was doing, and they end up doing an abysmal job. The food there isn't even mediocre. It's terrible. And nearly every restaurant here goes through that. The exceptions are the up-scale restaurants, and even they aren't always immune.

On the otherhand, we have a can of corned mutton, and Goody's post gave me an idea, if I can just find some sour cream at the grocery store. It isn't usually available, but I think I've seen it a few times. I hope I've seen it. I hope it's there. Because... I could make Mutton Stroganoff. [Smile] And that would be good.

Part of the problem for me is that I'm getting bored. I'm tired of making the same old, same old. Fahim doesn't care - he's perfectly happy eating rice & curries every single day of his life. But. I'm not. Well, I make other food, too - Italian, Indonesian, Thai, Indian, whatever - and Fahim NEVER complains, even if he's not overly fond of it. [Kiss]

But. We're limited in the kinds of vegetables we can get here. It's not like a grocery store in North America. There are the standard twenty vegetables that are always available (including potatoes. onions, carrots, cabbage), but I'm bored of them. Bored bored bored bored bored bored bored bored.

Bored.

[Roll Eyes]

Beginning to see my dilemma?

Sigh.

Yes, we have stuff here that you can't get, but there's so much more we can't get here and, not that I have anything specific in mind as I whine, but I'd like more variety.

That is all.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(((hugs))) Hey, I've lived in an area where certain times of year you paid a king's ransom for anything but the basic veggies-- and even those weren't that great sometimes. It's rough.

But playing "what's in the cupboard and what can I do with it" does liven things up. [Smile] Also, try serving unexpected combinations or preparations of food, that can help. [Kiss]

And when we have a little more expendable income again, I'll send you some chocolate if you send me your new address.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Goody, thanks for the suggestions *ahem* of mutton stroganoff. [Smile]

We just got back from grocery shopping, and they did, alas and alack! have sour cream. In 1 cup jars hidden among the fresh fruit salad and fresh juices, of all places, but still... They had it!

I have everything else I need, so now, the experimenting will begin. [Big Grin]

Yay!

(Um, I don't think I've ever actually *had* beef stroganoff, although I might have once or twice, so I don't really know what it's supposed to taste like *exactly*. So, uh, yeah, it's REALLY going to be experimenting. [Big Grin] )

kq, here's the second (or third?) time I'm typing in the response to your post.

If you want to send me chocolate, who am I to protest? I'll send you my address anytime you like. [Big Grin]

My whine above is also because I got tired of playing "what's in the cupboard" because I can't plan in advance - veggies are so unpredictable in availability and freshness, canned foods are not common here, and frozen food is problematic when there are frequent and long power outages, which there have been a lot of lately. I'm just tired of same old, same old.

Eh.

Mutton stroganoff, here we come!

Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I had the last of my chili yesterday. Tonight...probably pemmican bars and Hot Pockets.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Mutton Stroganoff is good. [Big Grin] It all worked out well, although I could have let the sauce thicken more before I added the sour cream, and Fahim even says he'll willingly eat it again. Yay!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Wow, that's great! [Big Grin] Variety is always good. Some would even say the spice of life. [Wink]

When I want something different I usually do a search on recipezaar using ingredients I have and get some ideas. But that might just make you more jealous of things you can't get... Although again, at least you might get some fresh ideas. Of course, you probably already do that.

Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
KQ, looking over this post reminded me that I saw you on recipezaar the other day. It was so incredibly random, because I was googling info on Aspartame, (keywords: Aspartame intestines) and there was a link right to a conversation you were having about it. I think it was the second or third one on the Google results page. I was like, how weird, there's no way there are two ketchupqueens out there! Serendipity, I guess.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

kq, of course I already do that. [Smile] Where do you think I found my stroganoff recipe? Silly girl. [Kiss]
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Woohooo! I'm glad that my post gave you ideas, quid, and that mutton stroganoff turned out well!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
Certainly not Hufu

Leaning more towards making a big Red Baron pepperoni pizza I saw in the freezer this morning. Mmmmm pizza.

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm . . . MOST certainly not hufu! That's pretty twisted.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.