FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What are YOU having for dinner tonight? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: What are YOU having for dinner tonight?
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] [Angst] I was thinking about lunch but suddenly I'm not so hungry.
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan K.
Member # 7720

- posted      Profile for Jonathan K.   Email Jonathan K.         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, if you read the FAQs it's like a nicotine patch for cannibals
Posts: 220 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Just got done w/ a really yummy dinner: cube steak, baked potato, roasted yellow beets and steamed asparagus.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm making pulled pork. I have never made it (or tasted it!) before, so it will be interesting to see how it turns out. [Smile]
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
What's pulled pork? Not that I'll ever make it . . .
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't pulled pork the same thing as shredded??
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I had leftover pizza tonight, and I about threw it up after eating it. This anxiety stuff is killing my stomach at the moment.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, sweetbaboo, lovely name ya got going here! And welcome to HatCrack!

((((pfresh)))), honey, you need to relax. [Kiss]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Basically it's pork shoulder rubbed with dry spices (I used star anise, salt, brown sugar, fennel seeds, cumin and cayenne pepper) and sloooooow roasted for 7 hours or so until it is as tender as can be.

It then gets pulled apart (hence the name [Smile] ), or shredded if you like, and served with homemade bbq sauce.

So far it's been cooking for 3 hours and the house smells great. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I had Indian food, yum yum.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rico
Member # 7533

- posted      Profile for Rico           Edit/Delete Post 
*considers making a Hufu related dobie titled "Who are YOU having for dinner tonight?"*

*refrains*

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Today, for lunch, we're having leftover mutton stroganoff with garlic bread. Dunno what we're having for dinner. Haven't planned that far in advance.

The beets looked pretty decent at the grocery store, so we got some, but I wouldn't mind suggestions on how to cook them. I'm not overly fond of beets, but variety is the spice of yadayadayadayada and all that.

Anyone have any great recipes for beets and/or beet leaves?

imogen
Member # 5485

Hey quid, apparently you can make pulled pork with beef. So you could make it. [Smile]

I like roasted beetroot. Mmmm.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quid, beet soup is teh awesome. (Borscht or just plain beet soup.) Got onions? Got any chicken broth/stock (or boullion in a pinch?) If you do, I'll give you a quick and easy beet soup that's really tasty.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Hey, imogen, you're right, I could. But then my husband would likely flay me alive. [Smile] Thanks, I think I'll pass. [Big Grin]

kq, good idea. I'll have to hunt me up a recipe.

What about the beet leaves?

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I make a super tasty borsht, completely vegetarian. I always chop up the leaves and stems of the beets, and add them to the soup. They add a tremendous amount of tanginess and flavor. Add them closer to the end of the cooking time, since they don't need to cook as long as the beet roots.

Taste the soup before and after you stir in the tops, and I'm sure that you'll see my point about the benefit of adding them to the soup.

Oh, and KQ, that clove-studded onion was very lovely in the cholent. Thanks.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Borscht, huh? I've never tried it, and I've only heard horror stories. What's it like, anyways?

By the way, I had Subway for dinner.

Also - is there such a thing as getting addicted to milk? Because if there is, then I think I'm addicted.

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Borsht is a delicious beet soup. It can be made vegetarian, or with beef. It had a sweet/tart/tangy flavor.

They sell some bottled stuff in the kosher section of the supermarket, but it is nothing at all like home made. It is kind of weird, like beet-flavored Kool-Aid. This may be the stuff of your horror stories.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

My son was addicted to milk when he was much younger. But then I weaned him.
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah...I just remember stories about "Grandma's Borsht" and also some weird episode from Rugrats where the Borsht gets rid of skunk smells.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

I've loved all the borscht I've ever met, and it was all home-made and exceedingly lovely. Unfortunately, the stuff I had had bacon in it, which I can't use, so...

Unless anyone has an excellent recipe they want to share, I'll have to hunt one down at recipezaar. [Big Grin]

And thanks, Tante, for letting me know the leaves can go in the soup. The leaves just have such a different flavor that I didn't know how it would work. It's nice to know that it can.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

Borscht Recipe

In a 2 quarts of water (or is it 3 quarts -- it may depend on which pot I'm using. Well, start with two, and if it isn't soupy enough, add more), simmer a bunch (like 3-4) beets (peeled and sliced or chopped) and a couple of potatoes (peeled and sliced or chopped) until they are all tender.

In another pot, saute 2 chopped onions, 2 (peeled and grated or sliced) carrots, 2 stalks celery (chopped or sliced) and about a quart of shredded cabbage in some oil (or butter), until they get soft and sweet, but not necessarily brown.

Dump the beets, potatoes, and water in with everything else. Be generous with the salt (like maybe a tablespoon of salt), and some pepper, celery seeds, 3 tablespoons of cider (or red wine) vinegar, 3 tablespoons of honey, and a big can (like 28 oz) of crushed tomatoes or tomato puree.

If you are the kind of person who likes raisins in her soup, go ahead and throw in a few tablespoons of raisins. Let everything simmer for a half hour or so.

Now taste your soup. Mmmm. Now stir in all the beet tops and stems (well chopped up) into the soup. Let it simmer for another 10 minutes. Taste it again. Even better, huh? If the soup tastes a little thin, or not tangy enough, you can try stirring in some ketchup. Ketchup is good in borsht. Really. I'm not kidding. Hey, just because they didn't have ketchup back in the Czar days in Russia, doesn't mean that you can't put it in your borsht. In the old days in Russia, peasants would stand in line for DAYS, just for a little taste of this borsht. They just loved standing in lines, back then. If they had access to ketchup, though, they might just have stayed home.

You can add fresh chopped dill, if you like (I don't like, but some people do). Serve it hot, with sour cream if you like sour cream (I DO like sour cream).

Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Last night, I had London Broil that had been seasoned with curry. It was good, and free. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
I made chili today. I've got people coming over in an hour for football watching, so, we definetely need chili.

My chili recpie is really easy, and always comes out really tasty. I use Wick Fowler's 2 alarm chili kit. Brown 3 lbs ground beef, add all the seasonings in the chili kit and 1 cup water, mix, add 3 cans cambell's tomato soup and 3 cans drained kidney beans, let simmer. Add red pepper to make it spicier if you want.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Fresh beet soup:

Steam some beets in a pan or the microwave. (Golden and pink work wonderfully for this soup, as well as regular.) Let cool. You can totally do this step ahead of time. Save the leafy beet tops if you like them and they're any good.

Saute some sliced or diced (your preference) onions in oil or butter in a saucepan until clear. Add garlic to taste and saute just a minute more.

Add flour to basically make a roux; stir onions and garlic and oil into it until everything is covered and the flour browns a bit, and the onions are getting golden. At this point, add chopped carrots if desired.

Add chicken or veggie stock or broth. Simmer until it reduces and thickens just a bit-- this is a light, "soupy" soup, so not too much.

In the meantime, peel and slice beets. (Slice into large bite-size chunks.) When broth is ready, add beets, washed and chopped greens if you have and desire them, and seasoning to taste (can range from just salt and pepper to rosemary to a bit of curry powder. Totally up to you.) Stir well and heat through (beets are already cooked, greens should just wilt.)

Serve with garnishes as desired-- chopped green onions, grated carrots, a swirl of sweet cream, or a dollop of sour cream are suggestions. [Smile]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(Oooh, did you see this on the front page of recipezaar today? [Big Grin] )
imogen
Member # 5485

Incidentally, I meant pulled beef (as in, no pork at all)...

Either way, the pulled pork was good. And the bbq sauce I made was yummy nummy.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*hates BBQ sauce with a passion*
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
But it has (or can, at least) ketchup in it!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

It's, like, bastardized ketchup. I hate smokey flavors.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(There's one sauce I make that has peaches and no smoke. I'll eat that if cooked in the oven, not on the grill.)
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Peaches. Yum!
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, Probably mac n cheese again. I'm fresh out of Ramen Noodles. Ooooh, I forgot I have some Hamburger Helper in the cupboard. Choices.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm making Shrimp Cakes with a chili-lime cream sauce..served with rice and some to-be-determined vegetable.
Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

We're having the missionaries over tomorrow again!

I have chicken or ground beef in the freezer. I also have meat-free options. Or I can combine them.

I can't decide between menus: Indian, Middle Eastern, French, Greek... The only ones I've really eliminated are German and Italian. I kind of want potato pancakes, but don't know what to make that fits in with that as a main dish (that I have and want.) *sigh*

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Maybe we'll have the potato pancakes tonight-- we have leftover quiche that my mom brought from her potluck-- and then I'll be free to get over that in my menu planning.
imogen
Member # 5485

My bbq sauce was ketchup free.

It was garlic, spring onions, dates (except I used prunes 'cos we didn't have any dates [Smile] ), chicken stock, white wine, tomatoes, molasses, a little white wine vinegar and some chilli powder all simmered together until it was reduced, slightly thick and yummy.

Sweet-tart-spicy. [Smile]

kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
PB&J tonight, with milk. Yummy
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
London broil marinated for two days in Spiedie sauce. mmmmmm. [Smile]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

We had the missionaries to dinner again tonight. [Smile] We started with hummus and pita, giant fava beans in tomato sauce (from a can-- yum, yum, I love them), and pomegranate seeds. Then for the main dish we had falafel and all the fixin's-- besides the hummus and pita, we had yogurt, tahini with lemon, and diced cucumbers and radishes. Mmmmm, it was good. And worth all the work, despite running smack into an open cabinet door and bumping my head so hard I got dizzy and it bled.
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I had Calamari, and a Cajun Chicken Wrap. With a coffee.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Nothing. [Razz]

And if I oversleep and miss my chance to get these silly blood tests done AGAIN, I will be very annoyed.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Rivka, have you considered setting two or three alarms, all over the room, set time staggered at 1 minute intervals? It works for me when I REALLY need to get up.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

kq, have you shared your falafel recipe? I think I really really really want it.
rivka
Member # 4859

kq, already done. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quid, it's on the Porch at Nauvoo. Search "falafel", click the link to "The Porch" that comes up, and then go forward a page or two. [Wink]
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Oh, that's right! I knew I'd seen it somewhere, but for the life of me, I couldn't remember where! Thanks!
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Wait, can I use chickpea flour instead of chickpeas instead? And have I already asked this question? I think I'm loosing my mind... Oh, wait. Too late! It's gone.
rivka
Member # 4859

Was it tied up?

I seem to be awake. [Grumble] I want coffee!

Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight Xavier and I ate Chicken a la Phil. We browned some chicken tenderloins with olive oil, mushrooms (whole mushrooms give out more flavor than the pre-sliced ones), onions (slices) and two (yes, two!) cloves of fresh garlic (the first we've ever pressed). We added some Prego Garlic and Diced Onion sauce and let simmer for 15 minutes.

We also made some angel hair pasta:

-2 T. of parmesan cheese
-1/2 t. of dried basil
-1/8 t. of dried thyme
-1 T. of olive oil
-1 clove of garlic (pressed)
-1/4 t. of salt
-1 T. of butter

Toss above with pasta (we used angel hair) and top with chicken. Top chicken with a few sprinkles of parmasan cheese.

What a great meal!!

Can you smell my garlic breath? I know Phil will be for the next week or so. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.