FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What are YOU having for dinner tonight? (Page 7)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: What are YOU having for dinner tonight?
RunningBear
Member # 8477

- posted      Profile for RunningBear           Edit/Delete Post 
Curry. very good, with potatoes and rice and steak and mmmmm.....
Posts: 883 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a wonderful dinner at Chili's with my girlfriends (we are all graduating) paid for by my wonderful boyfriend so I could have one last night on the town with them! We had skillet queso, blooming onion as an appetizer, fajitas (for my main course), and a chocolate lava cake/ice cream thing split between us girls.
Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, RR, that boyfriend sounds like a keeper!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rollainm
Member # 8318

- posted      Profile for rollainm   Email rollainm         Edit/Delete Post 
Chili.
Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
He is definitely a keeper [Smile]
Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
I hope I'm a keeper! Otherwise the last 6 years has been a major waste of my time and energy [Smile]

Eh, I love her. Even if she doesn't keep me, it would still be worth it.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Duck and mushroom soup, rack of lamb (shared with my dad), and lamb curry (ditto). (My mom had fish, I don't remember what kind.) Followed by a luscious cappuccino mousse.

My parents took me out to one of the two fancy new kosher steak houses in L.A. (The one in walking distance from me.) Totally not somewhere I can afford to go! But it was a belated birthday dinner for me. [Smile] And it was really, really good!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
How fun, all you people going out.

We had loosemeat sandwiches. Mmm. Really hit the spot tonight, even though I had not adequately cleaned my skillet last time I used it and had to re-season it before I could use it tonight. (This time I cleaned it the right way, as soon as it cooled down.)

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm craving a cheeseburger.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
It's 3:15 in the morning, but I'm already looking forward to the shoyu chicken I will be making for dinner tonight.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
So. I'm sick of rice and curries. Haven't had any in a week. I just... can't. So. I'm cooking other stuff. For myself, mostly - Fahim's still getting curries some of the time.

Anyway. So. Today, it's mutton curry (haven't had mutton in a long time, so it's not on the blacklist), hummous, and naan. Fahim had rice.

The mutton was fantastic, and the hummous - well, it's hummous. [Big Grin]

Altogether, I'm satisfied. *urp!*

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Last night I made pork roast in pineapple salsa. Thank you, Trader Joe's.
[Smile]

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm off for a midday dinner of fried crawfish tails and crawfish etouffee. Thank you living-in-the-south!
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Red Robin, because my daughter is under the illusion that it is the "...best retaurant ever, Dad!"
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
I had boiled craw-fish for an appetizer and shrimp en brochette for the main course.

I love me some sea food (I know, craw-fish is not "sea" food). Wow, quotes WITHIN parenthesis.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
We just moved (housewarming party soon, anyone?) and we haven't moved most of our cooking/kitchen stuff yet. The rest isn't really unpacked. But, we do have baking pans. So I'm making a paper bag chicken, salad, and *whispers* pre-prepared rice-a-roni. *hangs head in shame at that last bit*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Mmmmmm. I'm practically drooling from the smells in our house.

Since it's KPC's birthday, we're having some more labor-intensive food than I usually cook lately. Falafel on pita with cucumber salad and yogurt and tahini with lemon available as condiments, stewed dried apricots, kafta meatloaf (okay, it was going to be kafta, but I got too tired, so I put it in a pan and stuck it in the oven), and I bought him some root beer to drink with it as a special treat. Emma and I made a chocolate cake, and she frosted it with dark chocolate frosting and sprinkled Indian Corn candy on top (like candy corn but chocolate-- her idea of "decorating".) And I even found the birthday candles.

I think Jeff will like it. [Big Grin]

Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
happy bd to KPC

I had some sushi for lunch and some nice self made pasta sauce, speghetti and bread
i am stuffed

but i could still eat some of that cake!!!!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Itsame
Member # 9712

- posted      Profile for Itsame           Edit/Delete Post 
Matzo Ball Soup :-D
Posts: 2705 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

I finally found some parmesan cheese, so I'll be making an alfredo sauce for lunch. [Smile]

Excellent thread resurrection, KQ! [Big Grin]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Mmmm, alfredo. [Smile]

I forgot that we're also having rice and giant fava beans in tomato sauce. [Big Grin]

Sterling
Member # 8096

Yum. I made sushi for some friends tonight- nothing too exotic, just surimi, smoked salmon, cucumber, avocado, and cream cheese, in various combinations.

May go grab something quick later; our meal schedule is off kilter today.

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

This thread has been quiet for altogether way way way too long!

So I've been thinking of what I can make that I haven't had in a long time - I have major flavour aversion issues now, even stronger since Fahim and I got chikungunya (a virus that sticks around for a while and affects all sorts of things, and tastebuds and appetite are two of them). And I'm thinking falafel, thanks to ketchupqueen. [Smile] I haven't made it before, so it'll be interesting. But then I realized I need parsley and cilantro. [Frown] So it's on hold for a while. [Frown]

So now I'm thinking what else I can have instead.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Or was it mint and cilantro? *shrugs* But either way...

Hey, anyone got any other chickpea recipes other than hummous and falafel? That don't involve cheese or any other ingredients I can't get here? [Smile]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Oh hey, ketchupqueen, I found your recipe, and it's all ingredients I have, so magically, falafel will appear tomorrow here. Yay! [Smile]
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Chickpea curry is quite popular here.

In the first round of the hatrack recipe challenge, hank made veggie burgers with chickpeas.

I've had vegan chickpea loaf that was quite good.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

You know, I'm going to have to re-read that thread. Thanks! [Smile]

Vegan chickpea loaf - do you have a recipe? That sounds like it has potential. [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Remember to chill your falafel batter well. [Smile] The chilling is essential to texture, and especially where you are, since it's so humid, you may need more flour.
Sterling
Member # 8096

I made tom kah gai a couple of nights ago and beef barley soup the night before, so we've been subsisting on leftovers for a while.

Joy of Cooking has a good recipe for roasted chickpeas, but the result is more of a snack food than an entree. You basically toss 2 cups of cooked garbanzos with 1/4 cup of olive oil and 2 cloves of minced garlic, bake at 350 until golden (30-40 min.), and sprinkle with salt.

Szymon
Member # 7103

- posted      Profile for Szymon   Email Szymon         Edit/Delete Post 
Tonight I am making potatos with sour milk. It may not sound tasty but it realy is. Its quite popular in my country, especially when its really hot (and it really is...). Thats pretty much everything; you arent too hungry, when its hot, are you?
Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Correct me if I'm wrong but sour milk in Poland is almost like what we call "sour cream" here in America, no? Or possibly creme fraiche, or crema Mexicana? (All similar products, just varying degrees of thickness.)
anti_maven
Member # 9789

- posted      Profile for anti_maven   Email anti_maven         Edit/Delete Post 
I celebrated being in London by indulging in the national dish - a big fat curry and a couple of pints of best bitter.

I wish I'd packed some Alka Seltza [Frown]

Posts: 892 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LargeTuna
Member # 10512

- posted      Profile for LargeTuna   Email LargeTuna         Edit/Delete Post 
Im makin' linguini with homemade marinara sauce, romano cheese, and garlic bread (i heart itallian food) [Big Grin]
Posts: 856 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
You can find a recipe for chickpea loaf here. I don't know how similar it would be to what I've had before but it looks about right.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

Tonight, we'll be having jerk chicken.
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I guess if the chicken was a jerk it's fine to eat it.
Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Fried vegetable dumplings (Chinese style), homemade. Oh and they were good.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having a variation on this for dinner. Last night I had a surprisingly tasty can of albacore with homemade aioli, salted capers, celery, and whole wheat linguini. And salad.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

kq, yup, it needed more flour. About 1/4 c more. [Smile] I made your recipe, added twice as much garlic and four times as much red chilli powder. The garlic wasn't even really noticeable, so I might add more next time, and I really need to add even more red chilli powder - maybe a tablespoon total, perhaps a little more. [Smile] This is not surprising. [Smile] It turned out great and, yeah, even Fahim liked it enough that he can settle for it as a protein dish, and he never does that. [Big Grin]

I still want to try it with the traditional parsley and mint, but that will have to wait until I actually have some.

Sterling, that chickpea snack idea sounds great, too. Thanks!

The Rabbit, that chickpea loaf looks like an interesting flavour combination. I'll give that a try, too. Thanks!

I'm thinking about making a coconut milk pasta sauce with tomatoes, onion, garlic, and chicken for dinner tonight. It would be an experiment, but I'm always up for those. [Smile]

ETA: I made the falafel with uncooked garbanzo beans (aka chickpeas, aka gram) soaked in water for 12-18 hours, and they definitely expanded from about 2 cups of chickpeas to about 4 cups (perhaps more) and were perfectly fine for blending/mashing. I did that because, well, let's face it - I'm lazy, and other recipes said to do that, and yeah, it works perfectly fine.

Sachiko
Member # 6139

- posted      Profile for Sachiko   Email Sachiko         Edit/Delete Post 
I think we're having mangoes and tofu. And edamame. With soy sauce.

I hope soy products aren't unhealthy, because my kids and I ingest the soy equivalent of two packs a day.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

I would do some research on soy. I haven't done it myself because I don't eat that much of it, but I've heard that the estrogens in soy are not necessarily good for children.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

*sigh*

I am kinda hoping someone can point out a food, then, that is always a good thing. If I don't feed them soy, I'm feeding them animal protein, which we love but which I am told is bad for us for a variety of often-changing reasons.

And I think that going without sufficient good protein is worse than having soy protein, especially for developing children.

I mean, if it's apples, it's all "organic? ALAR? Pesticides? Local?" Not too hard, I live in an agricultural place, and local produce is easy to come by.

But meat, I don't have the acreage yet to raise my own, and so I hold my nose and shut my eyes and just keep trying to feed my 5 kids on not too much money.

I figgered tofu was the best compromise, but, ha ha, estrogens. Hee.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

My daughter loves edamame. I think, like everything else, it's a matter of moderation. It's an unfortunate matter of modern eating: there's mercury in a lot of the fish, antibiotics in most of the poultry, and what your beef and pork were fed on probably doesn't bear thinking on too closely. When you can get organic and/or grassfed, it's great, but that can really up one's food costs.

Failing that, beans and rice are pretty hard to screw up too badly... And with everything else, moderation will probably keep you fairly safe.

[ June 12, 2008, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: Sterling ]

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
We had such good dinner last night - and entirely from the pantry/freezer/fridge, no special planning.

Slow cooked pork belly with whole onions, fried potato slices with bacon, saeurkraut with wine and bay leaves and a cabbage, pear and apple salad with homemade tarragon vinegar.

Yum.

KQ, I dug out the pierogi recipe last week and made them again. Oh, they're good. [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachiko
Member # 6139

Funny, Sterling, beans and rice is precisely what we had for dinner last night. [Smile]
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Like I said, I'd do some research -- I'm not really sure if what I've read and heard about soy is actually reliable/reputable information, and since I only eat the occasional tofu meal and don't have kids, I'm not worried about it for myself. There's a lot of scare stuff out there, as you already pointed out.

I think beans are a fantastic protein source, and I can't recall reading any scary stuff about them.

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.