FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Smallville...Gentlemen's Club?

Author Topic: Smallville...Gentlemen's Club?
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen most of the first season, and nothing else, but I'm watching tonite's episode right now, and it takes place in a strip club.

OSC is right. If this was ever meant to be a family show, it certainly is NOT any more.

[ November 03, 2005, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: odouls268 ]

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it stopped being a family show either in the second or third season. Although I doubt it was ever intended as a family show. It's more of a teen drama.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
It's the only Ep I've wanted to watch in the last two seasons.

They should get points for expanding their target demographic beyond teenage males. Oh wait....

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

Even the character of Clark's father has a huge change. In the first season, he was good old southern etiquette and charm, and now in 15 minutes I see traces of prurience and vanity that I just don't like in Mr. Kent.

I haven't seen any Smallville since about halfway through the first season, and I saw that on DVD about a month ago, so the juxtaposition is easy for me to see.

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

I just have this mental picture of the family getting together to see one of the first season episodes, mom, dad, and two young kids who wanna be just like Clark, and then they all get treated to Late night liberty in Thailand
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I just subjected myself to 25 minutes of Smallville and didn't get any James Marsters as a reward. *pouts*
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
that's wasted time, I promise you'll get some james marsters this weekend!
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to love Smallville, I watched the whole first two seasons. But I stopped watching with the last episode of the second season, it got to dramatic for me. I guess it was convenient because the series just went downhill after that anyways.
Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I still love the show, and I thought this episode still had its moments. I think many of you on here are just way too negative. It's depressing.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cali-Angel-Cat
Member # 8799

- posted      Profile for Cali-Angel-Cat   Email Cali-Angel-Cat         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the episode tonight and I found myself chuckling at a few things, like the whole bit of Mr. Kent and the Senetor in the car, played by Tom Wopat. That scene was very reminesicent of Dukes of Gazzard. (The 70's version of the show, and not the movie.)

Also I had a chukle at how uncofortable Clark was in the club, I half expected him to crawl under the table or something!

I bought season one on dvd today, because I want to see the show from the beginning. I also bought Battlestar on dvd.

Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

quote:
I still love the show, and I thought this episode still had its moments. I think many of you on here are just way too negative. It's depressing
Let President Dave be clear: I still enjoy the show, including this episode, but I am a grown man. I just thought, from the first episodes that this was / could have been a more family oriented show (though even the first episodes might have had some tense / scary moments for younger viewers), but now it is definitely only for an older audience.
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
So which nights have new episodes on TV? I keep meaning to watch.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I don't think it was ever intended as a more family oriented show though. As I said, I think it's more a teen drama thing, which isn't unusual for a show on the WB. I don't think most primetime stuff is geared towards children; I think most of it is geared towards teenagers and adults. Most stuff that is geared towards everyone is either earlier in the day or on a non-mainstream/cable channel (the example in my mind is the Justice League Unlimited cartoon).

Theaca, the show's on Thursdays at 8PM EST or 7PM CST (I can't say what it is for Mountain or Pacific since they can be a little weird time-wise). There should be new episodes at least for the next two or three weeks.

zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
It really bugged me last night when Lex used the story of King David to illustate a point to Clark. Bathsheba's husband was not David's best friend. I know the story was tweaked to make it more applicable to what they were talking about, but it pisses me off when they change a well known story like that.

My wife asked if I was mainly upset because it was from the Bible, but I don't think so. I would have been just as irritated if they had used a Greek myth and changed it.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.