FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Marijuana now legal to possess in Denver! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Marijuana now legal to possess in Denver!
etphonehome
Member # 999

- posted      Profile for etphonehome   Email etphonehome         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
It's harmful to others the same way alcohol is: because it impairs several abilities and irresponsible users end up hurting people (ever seen those charming commercials where the stoned teenagers run over the little girl coming out of the drive thru? Or the one where one stoned kid pulls out his dad's gun and shoots the other kid "by accident"?)

Yes, but drinking in and of itself does not harm others. By all means prosecute people for the things they do while high, but don't punish people for simply possessing or using the drug. That's akin to making baseball illegal because a person playing it could potentially hit someone in the head and kill them (it has happened before).
Posts: 45 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, let's make everything illegal that could possibly, in any way, shape, or form, lead to the harm of others. [Roll Eyes]

Oh, and I'd also like to point out that I've never heard of a case of marijuana-induced psychosis where the marijuana wasn't laced with something else. So it's not the plant itself causing the problem.

And don't tell me that THAT'S a reason to make it illegal. I could just as easily put antifreeze in my orange juice.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
why do you draw the line where you do with regard to alcohol and caffeine use? Does that mean that you look down on any recreational use of any drug?
I wouldn't say I "look down on." I think recreational use is fine as long as there is NO damage done. I just don't understand the mentality of someone who would knowingly put thier health on the line only for entertainment. It really, really bothers me. I don't support making all drugs illegal or prescription-only, but on a personal level I will fight very hard to discourage drug use.

I have a history. Caffeine, alcohol, and painkillers. I was self-medicating. Stupid, I know, but then doing those specific stupid things kept me from doing different, more harmful stupid things. But now all this self-destruction has come back to haunt me and I would give pretty much anything to not have to deal with the physical effects of years of treating my body like crap.

That's why recreational drug use bothers me so much. I understand the urge/need to self-medicate (I don't encourage it, but I understand). I don't understand why anyone would sacrifice thier liver, brain, stomach, esophagus, whatever, by drinking for "fun." I just don't get it and I don't think I ever will.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
>>>never heard of a case of marijuana-induced psychosis where the marijuana wasn't laced with something else.

That's where legalization could help. If you want pot and ONLY pot, buy gov't inspected pot and be sure that there's nothing else in it.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cali-Angel-Cat
Member # 8799

- posted      Profile for Cali-Angel-Cat   Email Cali-Angel-Cat         Edit/Delete Post 
Erosomniac : You asked where in S. Cali? Long Beach. And I think my uncle's objections stem from the idea that if anyone in his household got nailed for drugs, his job as a cop would be at risk and he is very close to retirement.

PH: Add to that Caffeine. Caffeine acts as a stimulant. Caffeine seems to have negative effects and yet, like tobacco and alcohol, it is not illegal.

My aunt told me this story earlier today that one of the reasons Pot is illegal is because Hearst, yeas the publishing tycoon, pushed for it. She mentioned something about forests and trees and paper. It sounded a tad far fetched to me so I tuned her out. I haven't checked the validity of her tale, I wouldn't know where to start on that!

Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
That argument is a staple for the people hwo want to leagalize pot, although there areamany reasons why pot is illegal.

If you think that pot isn't harmful then you are lying to yourself.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Saliva?

lol

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rusta-burger
Member # 8753

- posted      Profile for Rusta-burger   Email Rusta-burger         Edit/Delete Post 
Originally posted by erosomaniac:

"It's harmful to others the same way alcohol is: because it impairs several abilities and irresponsible users end up hurting people..."

And alcohol doesn't?

Could someone please direct me to the page that explains how to hyperlink, quotes and use emoticons. I've been there once before but now I can't find it. it's probably right in front of my eyes as I write this, so sorry for the inconvenience.

Posts: 75 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Click "Full Reply Form."

Then use the buttons there to insert URLs, quotes, and emoticons.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Princess Leah:
>>>never heard of a case of marijuana-induced psychosis where the marijuana wasn't laced with something else.

That's where legalization could help. If you want pot and ONLY pot, buy gov't inspected pot and be sure that there's nothing else in it.

Exactly. Another reason why marijuana should be legal.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.