FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Storyline patents

Author Topic: Storyline patents
Ziusudra
Member # 8601

- posted      Profile for Ziusudra   Email Ziusudra         Edit/Delete Post 
U.S. Patent Office Publishes the First Patent Application to Claim a Fictional Storyline

WTF?

I'm speechless.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
We better hurry then. There're only about a dozen storylines being used today.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
So what would fall into the scope of infringement of his patent? Certainly not all "zombie" stories. What about a similar story where the zombie state was not an answer to prayer but because of some scientific experiment? In short, what degree of similarity must be reached before it constitutes infringement?
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Remember, he hasn't been granted anything yet. 18 months after one files a patent application, it's published. At this point, provisional rights attach.

If the application is ultimately denied, those rights mean nothing.

I'd like to see the actual patent.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, for one thing, this plot sounds very similar to 13 Going On 30 .

Here's the patent application itself.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Storylines should not be patentable. Patents are for inventions (not in the loosest sense where an invention is anything a human makes in any sense), not (among other things) abstract ideas. Just as no one can patent e=mc^2, no one can patent a plot twist.

Copyright is the mechanism for that.

Even looking at the patent application, the first claim, among others, is already completely covered by 13 going on 30, and I suspect by numerous other works.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Patents are an iffy proposition in the best of cases. Consider the telephone, for example. Elisha Gray (from my hometown of Highland Park, IL) invented the telephone. But Alexander Graham Bell got to the patent office first. Why should Gray have been prevented from profiting from the fruit of his creative mind? And that's leaving aside the fact that the phone in Bell's patent didn't even work, and Gray's did.

There's this person in the Chicago area who is going around copyrighting everyday terms. That's as dumb as this.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps you mean trademarking everyday terms? Copyright can't be used on something which is an everyday term, and wouldn't be granted (edit: that is, wouldn't be allowed to be registered; if a work is copyrightable, its automatically copyrighted upon creation).

[ November 04, 2005, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: fugu13 ]

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by fugu13:
Perhaps you mean trademarking everyday terms? Copyright can't be used on something which is an everyday term, and wouldn't be granted (edit: that is, wouldn't be allowed to be registered; if a work is copyrightable, its automatically copyrighted upon creation).

Yep. I meant trademarking.

Check this out. This guy and the plot patenter should be locked up in the same loony bin.

Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, for one thing, this plot sounds very similar to 13 Going On 30 .
...which, of course, was just a rip-off of Big.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds a little like "Forever Young" too. Just a smitch.
Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to write a screenplay in which a kid prays to be a zombie until his college application letter comes, then wakes up 29 years later and realizes he's been a zombie all this time. And the college will be, get this, Harvard. And I'm going to call it The Zombie Gaze. There's no way that could be mistaken for the same story. It's airtight.

Well, other than the part where it still sucks and will never sell. Aside from that, though, it's golden.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
It was not a ripoff of Big!

For one thing, Big was about a guy! 13 Going on 30 was about a girl, and it had a Michael Jackson dance-off scene (which was strangely absent from Big).

Sheesh! It's like no one else even watched the movies.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
and it had a Michael Jackson dance-off scene (which was strangely absent from Big).

But does it beat the ultimate michael jackson dance off. [Big Grin]

edit: for some reason, I'm having trouble with the URL tag.

link(warning, some swearing towards the end):
http://www.m90.org/gallery/video/jacko%20fight0-3516.wmv

[ November 05, 2005, 02:47 AM: Message edited by: ricree101 ]

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ricree101:
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
and it had a Michael Jackson dance-off scene (which was strangely absent from Big).

But does it beat the ultimate michael jackson dance off. [Big Grin]

edit: for some reason, I'm having trouble with the URL tag.

link(warning, some swearing towards the end):
http://www.m90.org/gallery/video/jacko fight0-3516.wmv

Not Found
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Edit: You should be able to click on it fine now.

you have to copy and paste. I wasn't able to get the link working with that space. Sorry

Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.