FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Happy Bonfire Night, everybody!

Author Topic: Happy Bonfire Night, everybody!
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
So tonight it's four hundred years since Guy Fawkes tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament.

Since my (current) hometown, York, is where Guy, or Guido Fawkes was born, we're supposed to be having a great big, FREE, firework display tonight. *Does happy dance* [Party]

However, last night, at an event for international students, something quite bizarre and worrying struck me. The guy who was giving a talk explaining Fawkes and the conspiracy to the international students was very loathe to describe him as a terrorist.

Despite the fact that he was trying to blow up innocent people, we have made Guy into a cute, child friendly figure, an underdog people tend to feel a bit sorry for. And tonight, his hometown is celebrating him. Okay, so he didn't succeed, but, if things had turned out differently, he would have been a mass murderer.

So what's the difference between Fawkes and the men who attempted to blow up the London Underground for the second time on 21st July?

Four hundred years, campfire songs, roasting marshmallows and some pretty lights in the sky. Very weird.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it always struck me that Bonfire Night was celebrating the fact that Guy Fawkes didn't blow up the parliament- that he failed. Hence the burning Guy on a bonfire thing.

I miss Bonfire Night. *sniff*

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
It's that whole terrorists/freedom fighters dichotomy, Bella. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think so, actually - Guy, after all, was on the losing side. Granted, most people in Britain today probably could care less about the Protestant Succession, but still.

I think it's more the British thing about underdogs. When you think about it, the Bonnie Prince wasn't exactly a very nice guy, and he was allied to the French at that. He still manages to turn up on everything from radio stations to cookie boxes. King over the water, eh?

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Or perhaps it's just a good chance to burn a whole bunch of sticks and fire a whole bunch of fireworks before it gets too wet to do anything.

After all, England doesn't really have an "ngland Day", does it?

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to burn an effigy tonight with my friend, but he is nowhere to be found... oh well! This night is the reason that someday I want to live in England... and I am totally serious.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
You guys should just celebrate the 4th of July. [Wink]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Um....Isn't the whole point of Guy Fawkes Day that you burn Guy Fawkes in effigy? That's not exactly celebrating the guy as a hero.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Beren, the fourth of July is not my birthday [Razz]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
Um....Isn't the whole point of Guy Fawkes Day that you burn Guy Fawkes in effigy? That's not exactly celebrating the guy as a hero.
That's what I mean. Perhaps the whole thing has become confused?
Kettricken
Member # 8436

- posted      Profile for Kettricken   Email Kettricken         Edit/Delete Post 
Bella Bee, how were the fireworks? I also live in York but was away for the weekend so missed them.

I love bonfire night, just when the nights are drawing in we get an excuse to make a big bonfire, mull some wine and watch fireworks.

Posts: 169 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.