my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Sudoku

Author Topic: Sudoku
johnsonweed
Member # 8114

- posted      Profile for johnsonweed           Edit/Delete Post 
ARRRRGGGGHHHHH! [Wall Bash]

One day I will finish one of these things!!!!

Posts: 514 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
The traumatic brain injury incurred by bashing your head against walls makes that increasingly unlikely.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest changing the number already in place. And the rules. And possibly the siz of the square.

*promptly checkmates opponent in 2x2 chess match*

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I've finished one. It was a major accomplishment.

You can do it!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
123 456 789
456 789 123
789 123 456

234 567 891
567 891 234
891 234 567

345 678 912
678 912 345
912 345 67_

Try this one. Its a bit easy but at least you can say you finished it.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand whence this fad has come. I mean, I've been doing Number Places for years! My mother and I have nearly gotten into fisticuffs on airplanes to see who gets to do them in the large puzzle books! And all of a sudden we're ahead of the times? What is this?

I love them and I can almost always finish them.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand what we are talking about. What is a sudoku, or whatever?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Web Sudoku, for example.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't want to think about that sort of thing right now, but it looks like fun for anyone who likes logic-y puzzles.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
I am hooked. I have been playing at the site Mike linked to for the last hour, and have successfully solved puzzles at the easy through hard levels. I'm trying my hand at evil now, but it's not going so smoothly.
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Yikes, I didn't mean to create another addict. [Eek!]

I've been doing the medium difficulty trying for time. Easy is too easy. And hard takes too long. I haven't really tried evil yet.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dean
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for dean   Email dean         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got like eight books, and I've been creating addicts left and right. But one of the books has something called bridge-puzzles, where you're given various numbers in a circle, which is referred to as an island, and the number in the island indicates how many vertical or horizontal bridges that island has to another island with a maximum of two bridges between the same island. I canNOT figure those ones out. Does anyone have any tips?
Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
You could count me as another addict.
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

I eventually finished the evil puzzle, but I needed a little help in the beginning from the "how am I doing" button. Now I'm just having fun with the medium ones.

I must get myself a book of these, they are such a great time passer.

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

Ouch... so if I had to use the help button on easy... I must not be very good...

What were your times? I was doing easy in 10 minutes average.

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

I don't really know, I've been multitasking while playing.
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
I solved an easy puzzle in 4 minutes, 43 seconds. Yay. Go me.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Holy Cow, I solved an easy on my 3rd try. It took me that many times to get my plan of attack formulated. Now I think I'll be faster...
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Ha. 11 minutes. (I'm still on easy, but I don't feel like such a dunce now.)
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
Medium in 6:30.

But now I needs must go to bed.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

I must be going about it all wrong. I hate you people for getting me started. grrrr.
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Would any of you like a couple of tips to make them easier?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
OMG, I passed my 1000th post and didn't even notice!
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

It's still takes me about 11 minutes per puzzle. I improve my system every time though. I'll be here for a while.
DavidR
Member # 7473

- posted      Profile for DavidR   Email DavidR         Edit/Delete Post 
I got hooked on these about a month ago. I can usually do an easy puzzle in about the 3:20 -- 3:40 timeframe and a medium in about the 6 to 8 minute timeframe, but with the hard and evil level puzzles I am usually well over 30 minutes and often over 50 minutes. I've been reading up on the math involved and I am attempting to write a sudoku solver in Mathematica just to see if I can do it. I really should get a book of these before the next trip that I take.
Posts: 148 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
In one of my classes that I don't really have to pay attention in my friend and I do Sudokus. I print out a few every class. We can generally get through 2 mediums and 1-2 hards in 50 minutes. But we're always interuppted by having to take notes.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, I should write a sudoku-solver in prolog. The "dumb" method might take a decent bit of computer time -- even a few seconds -- but I bet there's a way to make it a pretty darn smart solver.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone gets "Games" magazine, they teach you how to create your own Suduko this month. (The Holiday issue)
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

Dumb method?

Right off the way I would do it is make an 2d array of all the slots. Fill the known numbers. Then iterate through each slot and figure out the numbers that are possible for the slot. The possible numbers fill the 2nd d. When the 2nd d only has 1 value, then that slot is solved.

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
human: prolog is a logic language. I wouldn't need to make any sort of array, I'd just tell it the victory conditions and current layout. Prolog, just by how it works, would keep trying all possible combinations until it fulfilled the victory conditions (and due to how prolog and sudoku both work, this would happen along a somewhat efficient path). However, there are more efficient ways.

I suspect there are better ways than your way, as well.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

Hm... Never learned anything about prolog.

You just passed 10000 posts.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.