FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » help... oldish salsa... still good?

Author Topic: help... oldish salsa... still good?
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys...

Quick question... I found some old opened salsa in the fridge.. the expiration date says May 06... is it still good to eat if it's been opened?? *so hungry*

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Go ahead and eat it.

Let us know tomorrow how you are feeling, though. [Evil]

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Probably. Is it fuzzy? Fuzzy is not good. Is it all dried out? Dry salsa isn't tasty. Does it smell good?

(I think the high acidity should mean it's okay as long as it smells good and isn't growing a pet.)

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup.. it smells good.. no fuzz...

*munch*
Tastes good.

I'll let you know if I get sick. [Smile]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Opened salsa does go bad, but there's usually visible growth.

If there is visible growh, discard the entire thing. Tomato growths...oh, so bad for you.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it moldy? If it's moldy or smells, it's bad, otherwise, it's not.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Why is tomato mold worse than others?
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Because the pale green of the fuzzies clashes with the bright orange-red of the tomatoes.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

[ROFL]
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
"When in doubt, throw it out."
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Well... I ate what was left...about half the jar. And I'm still here! No food poisoning! Yay!
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Could be like when Homer at that poisonous fish...
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Or on "Airplane"...
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Old salsa rocks.
*dances*

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
How are you doing? Cramps? Nausea? Hallucinations?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Um... nope... wait.. what's that?? OMG!! IT"S!..m,...........

[Wink]

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Telpy just gave birth to an alien...
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

We'll have to ask Papa to sticky-post the baby pictures to the top of the forum.
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never heard a rule about mold on tomatoes. But I have heard that bread with any mold at all should be discarded, because:

1. Bread mold is particularly toxic.

and

2. Bread mold grows long tendrils which permeate the bread, so you can't safely remove the moldy part.

Cheese mold is benign at worst, and possibly good for you, unless you're allergic to penicillin. Cut off the bad part if you don't like the taste (smell) and eat the rest.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is it fuzzy? Fuzzy is not good.
Fuzzy may not be good, but a friend of mine makes a fizzy salsa that's out of this world. I don't know if it's slightly fermented or what, she won't tell me.

I've been trying to carbonate salsa for some time, in order to test it out, but I kinda lost my access to CO2 some time ago.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I usually steer clear of anything that is open and has been in the refrigrator for more than five months. If its green or weird smelling, I avoid it too.

Edit:

quote:
Is it fuzzy? Fuzzy is not good.
What do you have against the cute, little bunny rabbits!?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
fizzy salsa
When I was a missionary in Japan my companion undertook to make Mexican-style salsa from some old vegetables that were given to us.

The salsa was a welcome break from the bland Japanese food. The large batch remained on the stovetop for several days, and we dipped freely from the pot, mixing the sauce with everything we ate.

By the fifth day there was about an inch of froth on top of the salsa, and it had become pleasantly tangy. Unfortunately, we had visiting missionaries from a neighboring town, and they quickly finished it off.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What do you have against the cute, little bunny rabbits!?
I don't have anything against them. Once they're de-fuzzied, they're pretty tasty.

Of course, bunnies and rabbits are not the same thing.

[Razz]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I thought rabbits were for eating, and bunnies were pets? Yeah, I like wabbits, too. Yum!
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
Hmm. I thought rabbits were for eating, and bunnies were pets? Yeah, I like wabbits, too. Yum!

If rabbits are for eating, and bunnies are for pets, what are wabbits for? [Wink]
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Wabbits are pets you eat, silly. [Razz]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Telperion the Silver:
Why is tomato mold worse than others?

I don't know about mold, but I know botulism can grow in tomato paste that's left alone too long. It's a muscle relaxant so too much and you stop breathing. [Eek!]

On the other hand, salsa is pretty acidic, and the CDC says botulism can't grow below 4.6 pH. Also only about 110 cases of botulism poisoning occur a year, of which 25% are from food poisoning. and with treatment you have a 92% chance of survival. So I guess it's not that big a deal.

CDC disease listing for botulism

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

Mmmmm... bunnies...

Mmmm... fuzz...

Oh, everyone say hello to my new alien-salsa-baby. Good boy.

Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
For the love of heaven, it's a JAR of SALSA. And it's not even the last one left on earth (new ones are available for around two dollars).

Just throw it away!

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ricree101:
quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:

If rabbits are for eating, and bunnies are for pets, what are wabbits for? [Wink]
Wabbits are for hunting with your spear and magic helmet.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, they west in wefwigewatows.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.