FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Palestinian boy killed by Israeli soldiers. Organs donated to Israelis

Author Topic: Palestinian boy killed by Israeli soldiers. Organs donated to Israelis
St. Yogi
Member # 5974

- posted      Profile for St. Yogi   Email St. Yogi         Edit/Delete Post 
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051107/ap_on_re_mi_ea/palestinian_organ_donation

This gives me hope [Smile]

Posts: 739 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*cries (in a good way, although not about his death)*

That man has a nobility of spirit I hope one day to achieve.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. That's just incredible. [Smile]
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I never thought I'd read such a thing. That guy is cool.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
The world needs more people like this man. Instead of being bitter about his son's death, he chose to make something beautiful of it. What an amazing act of compassion and love.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed, it is very noble of the parents, and I grieve the poor child's death. I wonder, though, what he was doing in the middle of a gunfire combat between Israelis and Palestinians.

Edit: I also feel sorry for the soldiers who will have to deal with remorse and guilt for the rest of their lives. Sent on a mission to destroy terrorism and defend their own people - and now a foolish accident turned them into murderers.

[ November 09, 2005, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: Beanny ]

Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Beanny, the whole country is a gunfire combat between Israelis and Palestinians.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it's not. Most parts of Israel are completely at peace, most of the time. Ditto with most parts of Palestine. But when fighting breaks out, you can find yourself quite innocently in the midst of things.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

That is true, but Jenin (a large Palestinian city in the West Bank) is definitely a hot area, given that most of your neighbors are most likely to be terrorists, or have a relative involved in a terror organization.
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I wasn't being literal, of course.
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
In 12 years of living in Israel, I've never seen any of the stuff you hear about in the news. I felt a lot more secure there than I do here, where you can't let your children out of your sight for a moment for fear that they could be abducted or worse.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
The state department does not list Israel as a terrorist state, and the intentional death rate there is only 11/100,000 per year. In the United States, the rate is 17/100,000 per year.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

starLisa, if your stay in Israel was before October 2000, then I would definitely agree. However, since the second and third Intifada have broken out, things are different.

Yes, Israel's military actions and consistent efforts during the last years, to stop the terror attacks, have been fruitful. Add that up to other factors, such as the death of Arafat, and support from the US (which, to the great sorrow of us all, is mainly a result of the Septemnber 11th terror attack) - Israel's situation has definitely improved.

Yet Israelis are still being murdered by terrorists, Israeli soldiers are dying in combat against terrorists, and the welfare of Palestinian civilians is sacrificed - by their own people who chose the way of terror, and by the Israelis, who would rather have a fence in the middle of a poor Palestinian's field and harm the lives of many families, than see one more Israeli child slaughtered.

As long as no one has power over the Hamas, this will never end. Both sides will continue to suffer pointlessly, despite the fact that the majority only wants peace. No diplomatic move can help here, but I doubt any military can destroy the Hamas without thousands of casualties, and quite a few of them innocent civiliznas. Assasinating Yassin didn't do to the Hamas what the capture of Barguti did to the Tanzim. The Hamas is too strong and well organized.
Only after we overcome that obstacle can we deal with "minor" probelms such as finding a territorial solution in which both sides are least displeased.

Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the point was that the boy was not at fault for being where he was when he was.

Its not like there is a "front-line" to the conflict, or certain areas where its known that gunfire will break out.

quote:
Khatib's son Ahmed, 12, was shot Thursday while Israeli troops conducted a raid in Jenin.
Its not like the Israeli troops made it known where they were going to raid and when. He was probably out playing with some friends in the street he lives on.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

You're right, I was just derailing the thread because I have a military ceremony tomorrow, so my head is full of these things...
rivka
Member # 4859

Beanny, I have been in Israel twice since 2000, and I agree with Lisa's assessment (and OSC's, for that matter).

In many ways, it is safer for a child to walk down a street there than here. People look out for their neighbors in ways that are not commonly expected here.

There are reasons why I do not currently live in Israel (among them: my parents are here, and my kids' father is as well). But safety is not on that list.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
That's terribly sad that the boy died, especially so young and in such circumstances. But it's so hopeful what happened after.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
i work with the worst of international relations in mind. it's nice that there's this kind of real, true love for peace and humanity in the world. This man and his son should get a peace prize.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
So... are Palestinian organs Kosher?

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
That's uncalled for, BC. They're people. Sheesh.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*calmly* Which means that (like all human tissue) they are both kosher and parve (neither dairy nor meat).

Still not allowed to eat 'em.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.