FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Because your cell phone isn't nearly cool enough

Author Topic: Because your cell phone isn't nearly cool enough
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you should get one of these!

(My daughter actually has -- and loves -- a Firefly. But those others are just unbelievable!)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the pet cell phone idea. My dog wanders. I bet if I had one of those and called her on her cell phone to tell her to come home, she might actually do it.

'course, I might save some money if I just built a fence. But that would be very lo-tech of me. [Big Grin]

edited: And you know, last year when I was travelling so much for work, my husband would take the dog to work with him so she wouldn't be lonely in the house by herself. So when I'd call to say Hi, he'd put the dog on the phone and make...er, let...me talk to her.

You might say our dog is spoiled.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

For almost $200, it should include a locator beacon. [Razz]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeni, what are you talking about? I always talk to my dog on the phone! [Big Grin]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, this would be so much cooler to me if I acutally had a cell phone? But since I don't already have one it means I won't be getting any new features or a new phone. Blasted parents and their penny-pinching ways!
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't look up the specs on the gold-and-diamond phone without paying a fee?

[Frown]

But how am I gonna know if it's necessary for my smooth pimp image?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
If it weren't low tech, pH, they wouldna covered up expensive really high-tech components with cheap gold and diamonds. They would have used diamond-film over transparent aluminum for a nearly indestructable case protecting&displaying the really really hot hi-tech components within.

I'm waiting for full-implants with a 100gigabyte flash memory, and HDTV-screen implantable lenses which double as asteropoeic telephoto/macroscopic video cameras. Though I suppose if the HDTV screen can't be combined with the camera, I'll accept the videocam as a third-eye. Then again biomimetic miniArgus-eyes planted all over the body with sponge-glass fiber-optic networking might be even purtier.

And I think that it's already federally mandated that within the next few years, the locations of all active*cellphones must be easily findable, pinpointable.
It ain't even as if new technology has to be engineered and manufactured, it already exists. The capabilities of the cellular system's router/locator function must merely be fully implemented, mostly through soft&firmwear updating.

* ie Cellphones turned on to receive signals of and "ring" for incoming calls, as well as those being used during actual conversation. The law?/bill? -- I'm not absolutely sure that it has already passed -- might have also included provisions for remotely activating switched-off cellphones.

[ November 12, 2005, 07:23 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Who... the #@$%#$% would want a $44,000 cell phone?!?!?!
How DECADENT!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the idea of the firefly, part of me hates children (meaning under 13) getting cell phones, another thinks "but they make it so easy"
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
*blinks*
Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
That's the advantage of having a third-eye or argus-eyes: your cellphone can record&rerun whatcha miss during a blink.

Anyway, here's an article on tracking people via cellphone.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
I like the idea of the firefly, part of me hates children (meaning under 13) getting cell phones, another thinks "but they make it so easy"

*nod* Exactly. And the Firefly (like some, but not all, of the other cell phones designed for kids) can be set either to accept all incoming calls, or just those in its phone book.

But my DD's has already been invaluable (when pick-up plans fell through) more than once.

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I know there would have been several times in middle and early high school I would have needed one (not so much elementary, my mom was a stay at home, I didn't go anywhere far from my school, and my best friend lived a block from school so we walked to her house quite a bit).

Cell phones started becoming common place for teens my freshman year, really common my sophomore, and by my senior year, I was one of the last to get one, but it was invaluable multiple times. I'm not sure how parents survived before their sixteen year old driver had a phone to call in case of problems.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.