FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A Challenge

Author Topic: A Challenge
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, this is a challenge to help me out, but I would be eternally grateful and would shower you with blessings.

What two syllable thing (stress on first syllable) has the appearance of being young but is

a) actually older or old
or
b) has a traditionally or really deceitful nature

so youth, but not innocence.

The only thing I could come up with was a 'fox cub.'

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
cupid?
Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Serpent? Hmmm...I can do better than that.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
Dick Clark?
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
ElJay!
Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dropofTapioca
Member # 7867

- posted      Profile for dropofTapioca   Email dropofTapioca         Edit/Delete Post 
harpy, siren...meh, just ideas
Posts: 32 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[Laugh] Enigmatic
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Jadis
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Used Car?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Clarification- it has to fit in with Middle English and refers to a male character. I like siren (although it's not perfect because of the male thing), serpent is deceitful but not young.

[Smile]

I'm sorry I have to ask you all, but after a couple of days thinking about this, I am pretty much out of options!

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

My thinking with serpent was tied up with the whole shedding of the skin thing, with the symbolic rebirth and all that. Not that that makes it a better choice, but at least this way you don't think that I'm smoking crack. Hopefully. 'Cause I'm not.

::shifty eyes::

SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
What is the one Greek guy who was granted eternal life but to be ugly? Narcissus....or something like that.

Edit:

Nevermind, he is the guy who stares at himself till he dies. He was supposed to live to really old as long as he never saw himself. But the goddess Nemesis arranged for Narcissus to fall in love with his own reflection. And he did, and he stared at himself till he died.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
How about a marten? It's an animal in the weasel family, though it's kinda fox-like, I always liked its name, and the name's kinda guy-like... link
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

quote:
My thinking with serpent was tied up with the whole shedding of the skin thing
I see what you mean, now that you say it. Hm. Perhaps I'll put it tentatively in alongside . Perhaps I can put a footnote with it...

It is a bit obvious [Wink] . I mean say serpent in anything like this and klaxons go off, but it would do the job, certainly...

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My thinking with serpent was tied up with the whole shedding of the skin thing, with the symbolic rebirth and all that. Not that that makes it a better choice, but at least this way you don't think that I'm smoking crack. Hopefully. 'Cause I'm not.

::shifty eyes::

How about Draco?
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What two syllable thing (stress on first syllable) has the appearance of being young but is

a) actually older or old

Women... [Wink]

What about time.

Edit:

quote:
Originally posted by Teshi:
Clarification- it has to fit in with Middle English and refers to a male character

Opps, nevermind.
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

This doesn't mean I'm not still looking for ideas, though [Smile] .
plaid
Member # 2393

Angel?
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
Demon?
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Draco would be perfect although I don't think its a big enough 'thing' to use as in a similie so everyone will understand.

I wish there was a more obscure word for snakelet (which would also work).

airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
Loki?
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

Dracula or Vampire?
Teshi
Member # 5024

Okay, I can open the floor a bit. If it's a name it can be three syllables long as long as the second syllable is the stressed one. However, it's still better if it's two syllables and a thing rather than a name.

I know this is frustrating...

Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

Quick question, whats this for? Knowing might help give us a clue to the word that we are searching for.
Teshi
Member # 5024

I like vampire. It's a creature that seems youngish, yet sucks blood (this particular male is an embezzler.) Again, it's obvious, but Vampire is definately on the list!
Teshi
Member # 5024

It's a character discription in the style of Chaucer's general prologue to the Canterbury Tales. The character is one of those white collar embezzlers with perfect teeth and a large house with a pool bought with his ill-gotten gains. The line is...

1. Ther was a cliuer man of bysynesse,
2. A man of five and thritty yeers, I gesse,
3. Though yong he looked (seemed?) as a {something ((fox) cubbe/serpent/snakelet/vampire)} doth.

Teshi
Member # 5024

I've been doing some research and I've come across Ustrels- children born on a saturday that become vampires. It's not an English word, which I don't like, but it's combining a lot of the right characteristics.

EDIT: But then vampires aren't English either and I don't like the idea of this guy being an incubus, even if the stress was in the right place.

plaid
Member # 2393

Cherub?
Teshi
Member # 5024

HA! Got it!

I was thinking about "evil" children, and I remembered changelings.

Thanks all so much. I didn't use your suggestions but they got me thinking in the right direction and now I can complete that line. (It's been taking me about an hour to write a line).

Blessings all round!

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

Your welcome, glad to be of help.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.