FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » When swearing becomes tragic (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: When swearing becomes tragic
tern
Member # 7429

- posted      Profile for tern   Email tern         Edit/Delete Post 
True Story

I'm not sure whether to feel bad for them or laugh...but some people really need to chill out.

Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, there's evolution in action. Let's see the ID people explain that one.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]

That's so very sad.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, I wish words failed me. I will just echo Boon and say that that is very sad.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tern
Member # 7429

My wife and I were wondering how this affects his exaltation - does it count as suicide, or just fanality?

It's a terrible situation, but good heavens, it's just a swear word, it's not worth your life.

Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tern
Member # 7429

I just wonder, what could he have been thinking? And how could he have let it affect him so much? And how did he get through his mission without getting sworn at? I had little kids coming up to me and saying "F*** you!" Missionaries get sworn at all the time.
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Too much sensitivity these days. I tend to comprimise with people, but there is usually an end goal I have in mind that is to my advantage. I can't...nevermind.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
When you come home from your mission, you're weird. It's a well known fact that there's a needed period of adjustment. If he wasn't out of his yet, taking a stand by leaving the car may have seemed like a good thing to do-- and he forgot that getting out of a moving car hurts. [Frown]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
That guy would definitely qualify for the Darwin Awards. That's just talent.

It's so sad to see people take things to such extremes. We all just need to take a chill pill (better known as pot)

JUST KIDDING!

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
He also quite likely had no idea it would kill him. People in movies jump out of moving cars and roll across the pavement and are fine, maybe a couple of scratches. Sad.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
This seems so tragic and stupid, all at once.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I know this sounds callous, but my first thought was:

"Well, I guess he made his point."

kq makes a good point. Sometimes people undergoing transformational experiences aren't necessarily safe or conforming to the world's definition of "sane" immediately after the experience.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second that Darwin Award. Yeesh.
Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Usually when I hear about this level of idiocy, I figure that liquor is involved. But I guess not, seeing that he is an LDS missionary. Just innate idiocy, then, I guess.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Could have been nothing more than he grabbed the door handle intending to make a point, leaned too hard, lost his balance, and fell out the unexpectedly open door.

One of our Hatrackers jumped out of a moving car, to avoid getting squirted with water in a live action version of a "mafia game". Admitttedly, the car was moving slowly at the time, but...
Sometimes the reflex is just wrong. Falling under the wheels of a slow-moving car ain't gonna result in a pleasant experience.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] This is horrible. [Frown]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
opening a car door against a 35 mph "effective" wind is tough to do by accident.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

The problem is ya don't know what the effective wind is except in relation to the real windspeed&direction, which we don't know.

He could have intended to make his point by opening the car door, met unexpected wind resistance, leaned harder, and fell out.
Or it could have been a truck with "suicide doors"; ie doors with hinges on the back edge rather than the front edge.
Or a backward sliding door, or a rear door. Often folks use 'truck' as a generic term including vans and SUVs.

The story just doesn't give enough details for me to reach the conclusion that the death resulted from a purposeful jump.

[ November 15, 2005, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Although that's certainly the most likely conclusion.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I keep thinking how awful the brother must feel.

I don't think he bears any more responsibility than someone saying "go jump off a cliff" would if the person actually did it, but still, he must be devestated.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Dana, I agree. This is devestating, and especially for him.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:
Could have been nothing more than he grabbed the door handle intending to make a point, leaned too hard, lost his balance, and fell out the unexpectedly open door.

Seat belts save lives, people.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Sad story. [Frown]
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

When it comes to deciding whether a death came via accident or through a deliberate action,
mere 'likely'hood isn't a good basis for reaching a 'worse case scenario' conclusion.
Any meaningful doubt should lead to a conclusion which will do the least harm to those who loved the victim in life.

ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just about to comment on the seat belts, as well. I don't know about elsewhere, but here and most other places in North America, I thought, they are mandatory, and if he is that stringent about swearing, I'm fairly sure he would not be breaking a law like that.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I don't see why there would be a definite corrolation between clean language and seat belt use. I've actually heard someone say "Put on your seat belt right now, D*** it!"
katharina
Member # 827

That's because you do not understand what happened.

Using clean language and following the law are both something someone striving to be clean and obedient would do.

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
If someone is messed up enough to jump out of a moving car, I doubt you could put them in the "healthily striving to be clean and obedient" column. Without qaulifying it with "healthily", I don't think that the first part of your statement follows.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

You added the "healthily" part. It's easy to counter statements you make up. And your second sentence is your normal nonsense.
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Kat, along the “not understanding what happened” line . . . using clean language I get, but is there something in LDS teaching about not even being in the presence of people swearing? I mean, how does it compromise him that someone else in the truck was swearing?
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
There is no such teaching. I can understand being uncomfortable with his brothers swearing and even asking them to stop, but he went way overboard with his objection. That was just plain dumb, IMO.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it goes back to what kq said up top, that the guy wasn't readjusted to secular life upon his return from his mission.

Maybe he just overreacted. Well, if he jumped he definitely overreacted.

This isn't something I have any experience with.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

One of our Hatrackers jumped out of a moving car, to avoid getting squirted with water in a live action version of a "mafia game". Admitttedly, the car was moving slowly at the time, but...
Sometimes the reflex is just wrong. Falling under the wheels of a slow-moving car ain't gonna result in a pleasant experience.

At my defense, I did say "stop the car", she stopped the car, then hit the gas again. However, you are correct- no matter how slow the car goes, the weight isn't going to be any lighter.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
Having served a mission, I have seen the interesting and focused social situations the field can create.

Religion in general has some interesting characters, and in a social microcosm like the missionary field some interesting beliefs take shape.

Even so I think you're a special kind of different to be willing to jump from a moving vehicle.

Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I think the "fell out by accident" is a convenient fiction that I could endorse were I thinking of the family (especially the brothers) and their feelings as "guilty" survivors of this horrid event.

As a group of people who send young people out to undergo the transformational experience, I would advise a less rosey picture of it all.

In this country, we have only recently begun to deal with the idea the post-traumatic stress might be a real problem faced by our enlisted men and women coming home and adjusting to a regular life after spending time in combat zones.

I don't assert to know anything about LDS mission trips, so please don't take this as anything more than speculation. But it seems that people here are reporting that some people return home from mission trips with a level of (what to call it? zeal, fervor, belief, just "difference") as to cause concern in their close relatives, at least for a period of adjustment.

It's to be expected, honestly.

But if this sort of thing weren't just a strange fluke, but were looking like part of a pattern, then there'd be some real cause for concern in how people are doing mentally during and immediately after their mission trips.

I'm a bit uncomfortable raising this point here on Hatrack, but I did want to address aspectre's point at least to the level of agreeing that it's a good way to work in the family, but a potentially dangerous way to work on the issue overall. If (and that's a BIG "if") there really is an issue.

advice for robots
Member # 2544

Anybody who returns from any kind of extended, focused service like that is bound to have some adjustment time back to “real life.” I imagine it’s the same with returning from a military tour of duty, an immersion program at school, a service program, or even a prison term.

I would say that recently returned missionaries tend to be very straight-arrow for a while until they learn to relax again. But certainly not to the point where they can’t deal with society. This is the first time I’ve heard of anything like this happening. Definitely not the norm.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
When you come home from your mission, you're weird. It's a well known fact that there's a needed period of adjustment. If he wasn't out of his yet, taking a stand by leaving the car may have seemed like a good thing to do-- and he forgot that getting out of a moving car hurts. [Frown]

It seems to me that if going on a mission has the effect of making it seem like dying is preferable to listening to someone cuss, perhaps the church should have some kind of obligation to help facilitate the transition back to real life. Because leaving a moving car because someone is cussing just does not seem like a mentally healthy thing to contemplate.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there is enough information to justify hashing out the motivations of someone who'd jump out of a moving car, except in the most theoretical way. My first reaction was, "How does anyone know he jumped?" The dead guy certainly can't admit it.

What if he was getting on his brothers' nerves and he got pushed out? I can see that happening, not with intent to kill, but just as an impulse thing. I can also see "he jumped out" as an easy cover-up seeing as no one is there to deny it.

Now, I'm not saying there's any more evidence for this scenario than the one reported in the article. But I don't see any less evidence for it, either. [Dont Know]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

quote:
Originally posted by littlemissattitude:
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:

It seems to me that if going on a mission has the effect of making it seem like dying is preferable to listening to someone cuss, perhaps the church should have some kind of obligation to help facilitate the transition back to real life. Because leaving a moving car because someone is cussing just does not seem like a mentally healthy thing to contemplate.
[/invisible]
Like I said, the transition isn't hard for most returned missionaries. This guy had his own unrelated issues.

smitty
Member # 8855

- posted      Profile for smitty   Email smitty         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, he certainly did get his point across. And I have heard of people doing more dramatic things for worse reasons. That being said, I'm glad my friend took a different approach in curbing my tendency to curse. It's entirely likely he just didn't think through the consequences of his actions. Nooooo, that never happens.
Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Thank you, AFR. It's like blaming engineers for building bridges when someone jumps off of them.

I am not going to speculate on motivations or mental states. It is so sad for everyone.

smitty
Member # 8855

We engineers get blamed for everything [Wall Bash]

Bottom line is, it's a sad day for all involved. No sense in bashing the guy.

Posts: 880 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't mean that he thought he would get hurt, btw. Maybe he wasn't sure how fast the car was moving, etc., etc. But in any case, we have been taught that we should take a stand against swearing, and who knows what was going through his mind. I feel really bad for everyone involved, and I know that the brother is going to feel bad about this for the rest of his life. [Frown] Poor people.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Drats. Too slow. Yep, this has been changed.
ketchupqueen jumped between my original posting and the straight line.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by KarlEd:
My first reaction was, "How does anyone know he jumped?" The dead guy certainly can't admit it.

What if he was getting on his brothers' nerves and he got pushed out? I can see that happening, not with intent to kill, but just as an impulse thing. I can also see "he jumped out" as an easy cover-up seeing as no one is there to deny it.

This was my first reaction too. How do we know this guy jumped? If he did, how do we know it was becuse his brother was swearing? This story is fantastic enough to deserve scepticism.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

Yup - the auto manufacturer should have had an engineer design a failsafe so that the car door couldn't be opened unless the car stopped moving... And ground mounted air bags, as a secondary measure. That's who is to blame here - the auto manufacturer engineers!
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
No the people to blame are the people to made the road so hard. If it hadn't have been so hard then he wouldn't have been hurt hitting it so hard.

But seriously folks, this is really tragic.

Now assuming that what was clamed to have happened actually happened the only fault is the person that died. He made a choice. That choice was to be offended by other people’s actions. In effect he gave up control over his life to other people. That is the most tragic part about it.

Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty
Member # 8855

Wasn't trying to trivialize it. I'd prefer to believe he made a stand for what he believes. It may have had different consequences than he had planned or even realized, but I would much rather believe that than he was tragically stupid or his friends killed him and covered it up.
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm less than inclined to judge this event based on facts presented in one news article. It sounds a bit too sensationalist to me.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm less than inclined to judge this event based on facts presented in one news article. It sounds a bit too sensationalist to me.
Yep, that's why the "nevermind" comment I made earlier. However, if it is true, then definately too sensitive.

But then my friend Ben and I have told stories that literally made people gag. So maybe I'm not sensitive enough.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.