FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Giant Ape Lived Alongside Humans

Author Topic: Giant Ape Lived Alongside Humans
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Read all about it.

Now, we've been finding remains of gigantopithicus since the 30s, but this is the first proof we've found that it and homo sapiens were contemporaries. Anybody know anything about the "high-precision absolute-dating method" referred to in the article? This is the first I've heard of it, that I can recall.

Something I find interesting is the mention in the article of gigantopithicus's diet consisting almost exclusively of bamboo. Becoming that specialized is such a dangerous thing for a species to do. What other animals have specialized to such a degree that there is only one foodsource that they can eat? Pandas leap to mind as another bamboo eater, and koalas as eucalyptus eaters. All baleen whales feed exclusively on krill...any other such species of animal anyone can think of? I expect that some of the things living near hydrothermal vents have taken this tack, and I recall reading about a species of worm that feeds exclusively on whale carcasses that have fallen to the ocean floor, but those are more extreme environments that I guess I'm asking about. What I want to know is what other animals, when their environment contains multiple possible food sources, have specialized to such a degree that they can only feed on one of them.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to suggest the phainopepla, which I thought ate only mistletoe berries, but further research shows that they supplement with insects when they have to.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Giant Ape Lived Alongside Humans
Yeah. In the apartment complex where I used to live, there was this guy...
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For nearly 80 years, Gigantopithecus blackii has intrigued scientists, who have pieced together a description using nothing more than a handful of teeth and a set of jawbones.
Interesting that they feel they can put together such a complete picture of this from only that little bit of stuff....

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, the origins of King Kong... a culturally preserved race memory!
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Was the ape purple? "Grape ape, grape ape." [Big Grin]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 5938

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone           Edit/Delete Post 
The real question is: Where did it sleep?
Posts: 99 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 7339

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't you guys know anything? This is a Bigfoot. Gigantopithecus blackii is Bigfoot. Science Fiction writers and Cryptozoologists have known this for years.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
It's in Asia, so it's not bigfoot. Maybe the abominable snowman. . .
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by EricJamesStone:
The real question is: Where did it sleep?

Anywhere it wanted to. [Big Grin]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
sniff, sniff, is this one of Peter Jackson's viral marketing campaigns?
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Interesting that they feel they can put together such a complete picture of this from only that little bit of stuff....
You'd be amazed what a good zoologist can do with just a *single* tooth. These are people who spend their lives analyzing the minute differences between species. Given a tooth of a certain size, knowledge of existing primate forms, and an understanding of biomechanics, an extrapolation of the ape's size and general shape is quite reasonable (albeit theoretical).

That aside, I suspect the detailed hand drawing in the article is meant as nothing more than an artist's impression. You can determine an animal's size pretty accurately with a few bones alone, and guess at the bone structure and anatomy by comparison with similar species, but its fur patterns and expression? Not so much.

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Audeo
Member # 5130

- posted      Profile for Audeo   Email Audeo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Something I find interesting is the mention in the article of gigantopithicus's diet consisting almost exclusively of bamboo. Becoming that specialized is such a dangerous thing for a species to do. What other animals have specialized to such a degree that there is only one foodsource that they can eat? Pandas leap to mind as another bamboo eater, and koalas as eucalyptus eaters. All baleen whales feed exclusively on krill...any other such species of animal anyone can think of?
I would say that in this humans, and other omnivores are unusual in their range of diet. For instance there is a large variety of animals that subsist entirely on grass, another large variety depend upon one or two prey species for their entire diet. Beavers eat only inner bark of trees, granted more than one type of tree, but still a pretty limited food source when you consider how long it takes a tree to grow. Most animals, even in an environment with rich variety, will survive on one specialized food resource. This actually enhances an organisms survivability, because the organism can specialize so that it is better adapted to that food source than any other organism.

If we look at bamboo for instance, it is very difficult to digest, and the digestion requires a specialized stomach. The ratio of energy required to digest bamboo, compared to the energy gained is very low. So pandas, for instance, have a very low metabolism. They spend most of their time just trying to eat enough to maintain their weight. On the other hand, bamboo is like grass, it just grows everywhere, so it's relatively easy to forage. So it makes sense to have one organism in an ecosystem that can utilize bamboo, where no one else can. But if an organism has a stomach specialized to digest bamboo, it won't be able to digest anything else. So you specialize to reduce competetition for resources, at the price of restricting diet.

Posts: 349 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
[aside]Bamboo is like grass because bamboo is grass.[/aside]
Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] Mel, you are too cruel. *smirk*
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.