FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Gift Exchange 2005: (Wow - is that everyone?) (Page 4)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Hatrack Gift Exchange 2005: (Wow - is that everyone?)
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante Shvester:
quote:
Favorite Hatrack moment? It has got to be when Chris Bridges posted this:

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

posted October 19, 2005 06:03 PMOctober 19, 2005 06:03 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll take a shot at a somewhat less snarky list. Let's see...

01) Being gay is not natural, aside from some perverted penguins, and some swans, and the occasional monkey but you know what they're like. Oh, and this dog I once had.

02) Acceptance of gay marriage will legitimize gayness and implicitly encourage normal, moral, innocent people who totter on the very brink of sexual experimentation, to try gay sex. Sweet, sweet, gay sex.

03) If we allow gays to marry it will start us sliding on the slippery slope that zooms past polyandry and polygamy, dips sharply into incest, and lands us directly into the pit of bestiality where we can buy tickets and go do it again but with our arms up this time.

04) The concept of gay marriage violates the very definition of marriage itself, a definition that has existed since man joined together with woman. Or with several women. Or with the widow of a man the first man slayed in combat. Or with a woman attached to a valuable piece of property. Oh, and they have to be the same color and/or tribe, did I mention that?

05) Expanding the definition of marriage will devalue marriage itself, because encouraging more people to commit to one person instead of screwing around just isn't the sort of thing our country stands for.

06) The central purpose of marriage is to raise productive children, obviously something gay people simply cannot do unless they adopt, inseminate themselves, or have children from a previous straight marriage. And then it's still wrong. Seriously.

07) Children growing up in a gay household are sure to become gay what with all the, you know, gayness lying around.

08) Gay marriage is specifically denied by my religion and that law, unlike all the other scriptural laws which we have since abandoned in the face of scientific discoveries, social changes, and even just other scriptural laws made later on that kinda contradict the first laws but not really, must be strictly enforced.

09) Children need strong male and female role models to grow up healthy. So not only can't gays marry, but some of you straight people better get on the gender-stereotype bandwagon. You! Sissy boy! Get a football, you want your kid to grow up weak?

10) Gay marriage will change the foundation of society. Ha! Deny that one!

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
When is the time deadline for this? I am debating on entering. (And trying to get some more words in for Nano at the same time.) I know someone might wonder about why I would be, but sending my name and address to someone is a huge deal for me. Paranoia is like second nature despite how wonderful you all are. It is hard to throw away conventions.
Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

We are matching tonight. The deadline is 6:00 pm Eastern today. [Smile]

The only person with your name and address will be the person who gets you. There's also us, but I promise we don't do anything funny with it and we delete the files after the exchange is over.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
And they're VERY trustworthy. Much moreso than your average person on the street. [Wink]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Larisse, would you feel more comfortable if a female/motherly type got your name?
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
/Takes deep breath.... holds it.... turns a lovely shade of cobalt blue... remembers to continue breathing
/end slight anxiety attack

Okay.... so I sent my info in. Now I need to find that thread where I list my likes and dislikes.

Hmmm... wonder who's gonna check it twice.

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Is Dagonee not on that list? Where has he been anyway? (and I haven't seen rivka lately either...) [Frown]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Wee I'm psyched to get my name!
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
See, I think that'd be lame. I'd rather get someone else's name.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Ya know, I thought about how my post could be taken that way as I went off to shower.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Narnia:
Is Dagonee not on that list? Where has he been anyway? (and I haven't seen rivka lately either...)

I know that this is how rumors get started, but..
you don't suppose they are off somewhere together, do you?

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering myself . . . where they are, not that they were off somewhere together . . . *grin*
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
(This is katharina.)

The matches have been made. Tonight, you will recieve an e-mail containing the name of your giftee. Tell no one. Reply immediately so we know you know who you have. For 93.5% of you, your giftee has posted in the "What I Want and What Will Make Me Break Out" thread.

Mail your gift by Saturday, December 10.

This message will not self-destruct.

Love,
Hatrack [Smile]

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucy hummer
Member # 7740

- posted      Profile for lucy hummer   Email lucy hummer         Edit/Delete Post 
Only 93.5? We can keep bugging, though I haven't seen most of the people you listed on AIM recently. I'll bump my thread too.

breyerchic

Posts: 94 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

Dude a self-destructing forum post would be cool, sorta. Depends on what else it destroys when it self-destructs.
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
*Eagerly awaiting my assignment!*
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
*sitting here, patiently waiting for the email with name of my giftee*
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Got mine! Woo!
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
The assignments are all out. Yay!
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Got mine! [Big Grin]
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Got mine too! [Smile]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
Were we supposed to reply to the email or post here? Oh, well, I got the email with my person's name.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altáriël of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altáriël of Dorthonion   Email Altáriël of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Got mine!
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Whee! Off to shop. Oh. Maybe I'd better wait until the stores open.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm planning what to get my person already. [Big Grin]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

ctm:
quote:
Favorite Hatrack moment: It’s not really a moment, but Teshi’s LotR Christmas carols were a real highlight for my kids and me last year…it was our first Christmas after their dad and I separated and it helped brighten up our days!

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Narnia:
Is Dagonee not on that list? Where has he been anyway? (and I haven't seen rivka lately either...)

I don't know about Dag, but I heard from Rivka last night. Real life is keeping her distracted from the important things -- like Hatrack -- but she assures me that she is well and we'll be seeing her again in a couple of weeks.
katharina
Member # 827

Carrie:
quote:
I suppose my favourite memory/moment/thing isn't really a specific
instance, but rather a process. Having been here for what feels like
forever, my favourite part of Hatrack is seeing the ebbs and flows of
the forum. I like seeing the antagonistic people - and then seeing
them get kicked (or booed) off. I like seeing the emergence of
intelligent newbies - and then seeing them develop into fantastically
real online personalities instead of just the name-on-the-screen that
they could be. I like watching for the lurkers to come out of hiding
- and then reveling in the fact that I actually have a higher post
count than some people [Smile] So again, my favourite moment isn't
actually a moment - it's the continuing sense of community that keeps
me coming back day after day, year after year.

Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I like that. [Smile]
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to pop in and say "Neener neener neener".

I've got my gift for my Hatrack giftee and it should be in the mail by Saturday at the latest!!

And NO. It's not a book thong!

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
See, now I would actually LIKE to receive a KarlEd Limited Edition Book Thong! [Smile]
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

littlemissattitude:
quote:
My favorite Hatrack Moment is the thread in which Bob and Dana announced their intention to get married. It was just so them.

Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
A suggestion:

Next year could we bump up the max spending amount from $10 to $15? It was difficult to stay under $10. I ended up spending $12.50 (without tax). What do you guys think? Maybe we could vote?

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I put the limit at $10 because we have many college students and because of the shipping cost, so that no one would feel like they couldn't afford to play.

But I think last year the expected limit was $10, but it was up to $20 if you found something perfect. [Smile]

How's the shopping going? There are a still a few people who haven't acknowledged that they have recieved their assignment. Please let us know. [Smile]

Choobak:
quote:
And for me the event with Hatrack who mark my memory this year is uncontestable
the Europcon !!!

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that I know what I'm going to get my person (kat, I'll email you tonight to talk about it). Now I just need to find the items in question.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Jake, a little birdie gave me an idea of what you might be thinking of. If you can't find it in town, I know where to get it online. And I wholeheartedly approve.

As for me, part of my gift is homemade, and the materials have been bought and it is in progress. The rest I intend to pick up tomorrow. [Smile] It will probably go in the mail close to the deadline, due to the homemade part.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Ummm... I thought the $10 thing was just a suggested ball-park figure kinda thing. Like, if we were to choose to go over that without causing any hardship on ourselves we could..........

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's a "spirit of the rule" kind of thing. My gift was homemade and the material cost was under $10, but it would have cost me WAY over $10 to purchase the same thing retail as a finished product.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, well, I seem to remember, from the "thank you" thread of last year's exchange, that many of the gifts sounded well above the $10 limit. And some probably cost that much just to ship.

So I'm going with the "spirit of the rule", as you say.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I ignore those guidelines completely. I always have, and always will.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

My gift would seem like it cost more than $10, but it really didn't. For the homemade bit, I used materials I had left from other crafts projects, so I didn't really count it into the cost. For some other things that I hunted down, the person that I got it from wouldn't charge me -- just told me to make a donation to charity. So, all together, I spend not so much for a (I hope) nice gift.
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Um... if the person who last year got the gift for me spent more than $10, but I spend less than $10 re-wrapping it, that's ok, right?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[ROFL]

Our gifts are going to be under $10 each because they need to be, but I think they will be enjoyed all the same.

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I found my present for my giftee, but I needed to order it (and I couldn't have it just sent on to the giftee), so I hope it gets here in time for me to wrap it and get it out by the 10th. [Smile]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucy hummer
Member # 7740

- posted      Profile for lucy hummer   Email lucy hummer         Edit/Delete Post 
I luckily had already made something that will work for my person, so I'm just going to pick up a few other things for the package, and we'll be good.
Posts: 94 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm making something for my person and will start on it tonight. Hopefully it won't take more than a couple days, and I can get it in the mail before Saturday. Heh, kind of a lucky thing that my landlord is doing renovations on the living room, depriving me of my TV, DVD player, and favorite reading spot--leaves me with not a whole lot to do besides knit [Smile] That'll help ensure that I get it done quicker.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm making mine right now.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

I have bought part of mine but still need to figure out what to do for the other part.
Aiua's Secret Santa
Member # 8915

- posted      Profile for Aiua's Secret Santa           Edit/Delete Post 
Psst! Aiua! I just ordered your gift! I think you'll like it! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.