FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Digital Cameras

Author Topic: Digital Cameras
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
I am currently looking for a digital camera. The feature that I want to use the most is the zoom. I like taking pictures of subjects that are far away (i.e. wildlife and animals) as well as scenery. While I still will always use it for taking pictures of friends, I still want a large zoom factor. However, I also do not want to spend a large amount of money. I realize that a good camera with more than a 5x zoom is going to cost me, but I would still like to not spend over $200. Also, I am really just a beginner photographer so I don't need anything real fancy.

I am currently looking at 3 possibilities: Olympus 740 (10x 3mp), Nikon Coolpix 4800 (8.3x 4mp), and Fuji S5100 (10x 4mp). I know where to get all these cameras for under $200, but I have not had the opportunity to view them in person. Friday, I am going to go to some stores to check out these cameras.

Does anyone have any of these cameras and like them? Is there another camera you would recommend I check out? [Dont Know]

Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok yeah I'm bumping a thread because I don't really want to start a new one.

I'm looking for a basic first nice camera in the $100 to $200 range.

Right now I'm finding good reccomendations for the Kodak EasyShare Z730 and the Sony CyberShot DSC-W5, but I'm open to just about anything.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] I'm in the market as well.

I've been looking at the Olympus SL series, but I've found no reviews about them and I'll be okay with most other brands.

I'm hoping to find something small and compact, optical zoom of at least 4x, easy to use (Point and shoot is enough for me.), good movie/ audio capabilities, and with that nice multifunction mode (Things like candle, fireworks, landscape, snow, etc.), and preferably with and SD card. Anything else is eh..

I don't know where to start, but I know what I want, if that makes sense.

Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
Can you seriously get good cameras for less than $200, or just moderately good ones?
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendil18
Member # 3180

- posted      Profile for Earendil18   Email Earendil18         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had good experiences with Canon.

There Powershot series is fairly popular but I'm sure there's one that's within your price range.

Posts: 1236 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Canon Powershot and I love it. Of course, I don't do much more than point and shoot [Smile]

Here's the one I have and another that fits in your price range. The amazon reviews might prove more useful than mine.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007MVHZS/104-9692132-9614350?v=glance&n=502394

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007KQUP2/ref=pd_sbs_p_2/104-9692132-9614350?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=502394

Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"Can you seriously get good cameras for less than $200, or just moderately good ones?"

Depends on whatcha mean by serious. The Panasonic Lumix LZ3S -- discounted to $185 at Amazon.com -- is a far better camera than point-and-shoot photographers will ever need 99% of the time.
Quicktime video with audio.
6X optical zoom. With a 4X digital multiplier that retains pixels/resolution better than most.
Optical Image Stabilizer with High Sensitivity Mode.

In head-to-head comparisons of picture quality by professional reviewers, the Lumix camera line has pretty much overwhelmed the competition within any given price range due to its superior Optical Image Stabilizer and High Sensitivity Mode.
I wouldn't even consider a near$200-or-more camera without optical image stabilization: it makes that much of a difference in eliminating blurriness. Using a stronger zoom won't be worth anything if the resulting picture is blurred by normal hand tremors.
Especially important if you like to crop pictures then blowup for better final print composition.

[ April 02, 2006, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Interestingly, the Panasonic Lumix LZ2 is also sold for $185 at Amazon.
Quicktime video with audio.
6X optical zoom. With a 4X digital multiplier.
Optical Image Stabilization but without High Sensitivity Mode.

And a useful Lumix price guide -- can be tuned to list by order of price -- though there better prices found elsewhere online.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I recently purchased a Nikon Coolpix 4600. It's really outperformed what I expected of it. The pictures are clear the the colors are bright. The CCD performs well in low-light (unlike the Canon I was also looking at), the LCD is easy to see and the camera comes with plenty of settings for various shooting conditions. You also get a Nikon lense. You can't lose with that.

You can check out some pictures I've taken with it at my gallery: http://www.primalcurve.net/gallery We picked up the camera somewhere around the 6-9 month range.

Here are some of my favourite pictures:
http://primalcurve.net/gallery/Ella6-9/Blue_Eyes
http://primalcurve.net/gallery/Ella6-9/DSCN0144
http://primalcurve.net/gallery/Ella6-9/DSCN0153
http://primalcurve.net/gallery/Ella6-9/DSCN0190
http://primalcurve.net/gallery/Ella6-9/DSCN0246
http://primalcurve.net/gallery/Ella6-9/DSCN0253
http://primalcurve.net/gallery/Ella9-12/DSCN0724_resize
http://primalcurve.net/gallery/Ella9-12/DSCN0726_resize
Etc. Etc. There are tons. I could link all day.

All of the images have been re-processed to 800x600 with some JPG compression so that I can have some space for other things on the site, but I have the raw images on my computer at home and they're quite stunning.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Aspectre and everyone else. This helps, I'm still not exactly sure what I want, but I'm getting there.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Aspectre, I can't take a camera seriously that has digital zoom.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xxsockeh
Member # 9186

- posted      Profile for xxsockeh   Email xxsockeh         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard good things about Fuji, and I have an Olympus myself. I love it, but the zoom is digital.
Posts: 63 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Primal, I"ve looked at all your pictures, and they're great.

I guess I'd probably like a camera with good zoom, since I would like to take pictures of 1/32nd scale model horses (yes I'm a geek), so which do you people think would be better for me, digital or not digital zoom?

aspectre
Member # 2222

Optical zoom is always better*: digital "zoom"/multiplier always increases apparent size by decreasing resolution/pixels. However, some digital "zoom"s/multipliers work better than others, ie the decrease is less.

If you are going to take still lifes using a tripod mount and flash, the camera with the stronger optical zoom will be better*.

However, if you are planning to take handheld flash shots of still-lifes, an optical image stabilizer with a weaker optical zoom will usually produce a picture that can be cropped and blown-up to better image clarity.
If you are planning on taking handheld shots without flash or shots of living objects, having the high-speed (eg Lumix's high sensitivity) mode as well as the optical image stabilizer is best.

Do not mistake digital or electronic "image stabilization" with optical image stabilization.
Digital/electronic "image stabilization" is an even poorer relative of optical image stabilization than digital "zoom" is of optical zoom.

* As a general rule. But different camera makers have different quality standards: eg a stronger zoom can have a much lower lens transparency from one manufacturor than the same-strength zoom from another manufacturor. Lower lens transparency means longer exposure times to collect the same amount of light. Which in turn means it's also easier to blur handheld shots, or for action shots to be blurrier.
Same with using CCD chips with less light sensitivity.
And there also exist chromatic abheration and other problems that lensmakers have to deal with.

[ April 02, 2006, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

quote:
Originally posted by breyerchic04:
Primal, I"ve looked at all your pictures, and they're great.

I guess I'd probably like a camera with good zoom, since I would like to take pictures of 1/32nd scale model horses (yes I'm a geek), so which do you people think would be better for me, digital or not digital zoom?

Breyer, in this instance what you don't want is zoom at all. What you want is referred to as "Macro." You put the camera as close to the object as possible rather than trying to zoom in on it. The Nikon has a macro function. A lot of the closeups of Ella showcase how well that camera works on that setting.
aspectre
Member # 2222

An article on macro photography which points out that if you are serious, you are going to have to buy a SingleLensReflex camera capable of taking on separate interchangeable lenses. ie It will be a more expensive proposition than buying a point-and-shoot zoom camera.

The article also says, "Most point and shoot digital cameras have built-in macro modes...": so another site on zoom and macro.

Basicly, it depends on how serious you are about picture quality when taking macro photographs.

[ April 02, 2006, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Ok I'd heard that term when talking about these horses, so yeah you're probably right, macro. I'm not that serious, but just want something that I can get a few shots of these guys, I've also heard Nikon is good for what I want.
aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks from me as well, this has helped clarify a few rather important things.
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
And digital SLRs are coming down in price as well. [Smile]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
There might be something of worth in here: Hatrack Reviews: Digital Cameras
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I should also mention that I use Energizer's rechargeable batteries for my Nikon. I make sure to buy the 2500mAh so that I get plenty of life out of one charge. You pay a premium, but this way I'm not always running to the store for new batteries and I'm not filling up landfills with batteries constantly. The charge times are not bad either.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

I think it's funny you're pointing out that this thread is a repeat when breyer purposefully bumped this thread to avoid a repeat. Sheesh.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
PC, your website has even less content than mine. Which I wasn't sure was possible.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

<shrugs> I'm not a blogger. I just installed the software to see if I could do it. I intended to mess around with the templates, but I had more important things to do.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:

I think it's funny you're pointing out that this thread is a repeat when breyer purposefully bumped this thread to avoid a repeat. Sheesh.
Guess she should have looked a little harder. [Smile]

Besides, I wasn't really slamming this thread, I was more attempting to bridge them.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got the Panasonic FZ20(k) and it's a great little camera. I carried it all over Europe, as I just wanted a good quality point-n-click that I didn't have to worry too much about.

Turns out it was much better equiped that your average digital camera and I enjoyed using it immensely.

I'm currently putting online my diary from my recent trip to Europe http://www.kelseybrookes.net/blog/ - you can see some example photos gradually going up there.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

And another lengthy thread on the merits and disadvantages of various cameras.
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
Buy a Lumix. You will NOT be disappointed (I have the FZ 20--and covet mightily the FZ 30--but all the other models mentioned are excellent on a budget.)
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the Lumix's linked here, in fact, the LZ3S looks really good. My only concern is the lack of an optical viewfinder. Having only the LCD screen to aim is troublesome, especially when trying to take pictures in bright light. Which I could be doing a lot.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am currently looking at 3 possibilities: Olympus 740 (10x 3mp), Nikon Coolpix 4800 (8.3x 4mp), and Fuji S5100 (10x 4mp).
I currently own the Fuji (or a little higher-end sister to that model) and I couldn't be happier. I know it isn't a big name-brand that Nikon or others are, but that kept me from paying name-brand price too. It has been a dream.

While all my regular SLR (non-digital) stuff is Olympus, I was leaning that way, but I'm glad I got the Fuji now. Mine is 6mp, and is an SLR digital.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
The Lumix LCD is good quality, even with sunlight on it, but I agree that the lack of optical viewfinder is annoying. However, IIRC when I was looking at digital cameras with great zoom lenses, none existed with an optical viewfinder.
Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
I ended up buying a Nikon Coolpix 4800. It has an 8.3 optical zoom and I found it at Sams Club for only about $170. It is actually pretty nice. If you want to use it for sports pictures though...I wouldn't suggest it because it is harder to get it to focus. However, the zoom is the main reason I bought this one and it works great for me.
Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

They're telling me I don't need zoom as much as I need macro which makes sense to me.

And at first I was going to say I have no intrest in sports, but realized that taking real horse pictures sorta counts (if they're moving).

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.