FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Superman Returns Teaser

Author Topic: Superman Returns Teaser
BryanP
Member # 7772

- posted      Profile for BryanP           Edit/Delete Post 
http://supermanreturns.warnerbros.com/trailer.html

wow.....

Posts: 326 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Exxxcellent.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
So cool...

My only disappointment is that we didn't get to see any of Spacey's Luthor.

Much as I love Gene Hackman, his campy and zany take on Luthor...never really appealed to me.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm betting you should blame the director more than Gene Hackman for the campy/zany take on Luthor.

But I'm with you. I want to see a Luthor at least as serious as the Luthor on Justice League, but preferably a plausible adult product of the Luthor on Smallville (at least the first season, which is all I've seen).

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Iiiinteresting. Looks like they kept the John Williams main theme from the original movie.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the trailer was kind of disappointing.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
As a teaser, it's fine. Just there to whet your apetite, let people know there's a Superman movie a'comin', and give everyone a sense of the look of the thing. I want to see a lot more before I start getting my hopes up.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

quote:
Originally posted by Megan:
Iiiinteresting. Looks like they kept the John Williams main theme from the original movie.

Actually, movies often use old theme music in trailers, expecially a teaser trailer, which is rushed out long before final scoring and post-production work on the film as a whole is done. Since the John Williams theme is recognizeable and well liked, it was a logical choice for something like this even if the final score for this movie is something completely different, but was not available for the teaser. (Not that I have any knowledge that this is the case. It just wouldn't surprise me and would absolutely not be the first time this was done.)
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
As a teaser, it's fine. Just there to whet your apetite, let people know there's a Superman movie a'comin', and give everyone a sense of the look of the thing. I want to see a lot more before I start getting my hopes up.

I see Scott's point of view, though, too. This trailer really offered nothing that we haven't seen before. The beginning shots could have come right out of episodes of Smallville, and the later ones could have been from the Christopher Reeves film. I'm still looking forward to the movie, but this particular teaser doesn't reinforce that much.
Atlantis
Member # 8788

- posted      Profile for Atlantis   Email Atlantis         Edit/Delete Post 
No matter how bad the movie may turn out though, I’ll probably end up watching it anyways. It’s just one of those movies that would need a miracle to crash in the BoxOffice, regardless if it’s any good. People just WANT to see Superman.
Posts: 37 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

quote:
Originally posted by Atlantis:
No matter how bad the movie may turn out though, I’ll probably end up watching it anyways. It’s just one of those movies that would need a miracle to crash in the BoxOffice, regardless if it’s any good. People just WANT to see Superman.

I agree, and that is one of the facts that often ruins creativity in Hollywood.

What this movie has going for it that may help prevent a lax attitude apparent in the creation of so many "sure thing" movies is a competent director who really cares about the story, and a studio who saw the last iteration of the Superman franchise slide into irrelevance and knows that if this iteration is done right, it can mean a decade of "sure things".

Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
I know that, Karl. [Wink]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

As a huge sentimental fan of the first 2 films, I loved the trailer and it's use of the music and Brando's voice. Sent shivers down my spine.

As for the theme, Singer has confirmed that, at least, the main theme will be used. Seems like a good idea, as it would be pretty much impossible to come up with a theme that says "Superman" as much as that one does.

Posts: 326 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
It's only a teaser, but it didn't really do much for me. It seemed to be focusing on the origin story, but it's the "Returns" part of Superman Returns that I'm curious about. My understanding was that this Superman is supposed to have been gone for several years and this movie is his return to Metropolis and heroics. The teaser looks more focused on a rehash of Superman 1.

I'm going to see the movie, but I'm nowhere near as hyped about it as I was about Batman Begins.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

I'm currently more hyped about X-3 and Spiderman 3. But this one was already on my must-see list, too.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
X Men 3 and Spiderman 3 have me very VERY nervous. The blurring of plot lines already has me annoyed, I'm wondering how much worse it can get.

I'm happy with the casting for Superman however, I'm EXTREMELY happy they didn't get a famous hollywood actor to do it. It NEEDED to be someone relatively unknown.

He should probably lift a couple weights though.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm scared of X-3. [Frown] They're going to ruin it.

And Nightcrawler isn't coming back, is he? He was my favorite.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

No he isn't. Other than the main three or so characters, most of the others won't be coming back, or will only have bit parts. The theory is that they these characters should be replaced with others, so, the Nightcrawler fans had their day in the sun, now its time for Angel and Beast fans to have theirs.

The mixing of plot lines is all that has me worried. Juggernaut is supposed to be in this movie, but Colossus can't really fight with him, as he is a child in this movie, which still pisses me off, as he is my favorite X-Man, and they childized him, eliminating his storyline with Omega Red more or less.

Is it really so hard to at least TRY and stick to what the fans know and love? Making Rogue a teenage and taking away half her powers wasn't necessary. It didn't add anything to the movie, and-

Just rerealized this is a Superman thread, not an X-Men complaint thread. I'll take my whining somewhere else [Smile]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

Interestingly, Brett Ratner, who is directing X3, was originally attached to direct Superman. I would be worried about X3 losing Singer, but I have confidence Ratner can continue the series well. He did an excellent job with Red Dragon after having only done the Rush Hour films, and he seems like quite a good director.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I think it kinda makes sense that Superman (appeared) at least not to be a beefy musclehead in that teaser. I mean, if it's showing his origins and whatnot, well, it's not like he'd have gotten many workouts at that point, y'know?
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Well I don't expect him to look like Mr. Universe. But Christopher Reeves had the Superman body.
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Great, now I'm going to be listening to the theme from Smallville the whole day...
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

I am confused as to why they showed so much origin stuff. The story is supposed to be that Superman's been gone for 5 years after he left to go check out the remains of Krypton. Now he's back. I've heard it follows loosely after the first 2 films...which have already covered the origins. So I don't know why they have so much of that in the preview.
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BryanP:
I am confused as to why they showed so much origin stuff. The story is supposed to be that Superman's been gone for 5 years after he left to go check out the remains of Krypton. Now he's back. I've heard it follows loosely after the first 2 films...which have already covered the origins. So I don't know why they have so much of that in the preview.

OooOoo It's just to make it exciting...
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
camus
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for camus   Email camus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BryanP:

I wondered that too. Although, I hate it when the previews give away too much of the story. I actually kind of like not knowing much about what's going to happen. The less I see in the previews means I will be more curious about the story which means I will anticipate the movie more. So if the parts that are shown in the previews are taken from the first 30 minutes of the movie, I'll be happy with that. Either way I'm excited about it. I just wish the computer I'm working on here at work had speakers so I could actually *listen* to the previews also.
Posts: 1256 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Solar Macharius
Member # 7775

- posted      Profile for Lord Solar Macharius           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I just wish the computer I'm working on here at work had speakers so I could actually *listen* to the previews also.
So you didn't hear the William's theme and Marlon Brando narration?
Posts: 254 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.