FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Who Wanted a Book of Mormon/New Testament in Spanish?

Author Topic: Who Wanted a Book of Mormon/New Testament in Spanish?
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I work across the hall from a chapter and I have them.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that was AoD
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
She wanted the Catholic Bible in Spanish, IIRC.
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
AoD reporting, and just like CaySedai mentioned, I was looking for a Catholic Bible or King James version in Spanish.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, you can't get a King James in Spanish... that's a translation, not a type.
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

Would the New Testament I have do?
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, it is the one I enjoy the most. Email me so I can give you my stats and such.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yank
Member # 2514

- posted      Profile for Yank   Email Yank         Edit/Delete Post 
The standard for Spanish Bibles is Reina Valeira. Still royal, but without the James. It's a much more recent translation, having been last revised in 1960, and so is much more understandable. It is, however, written in Academy Castilian and may be a bit difficult for those accustomed to American Spanish.

It is also a very beautiful translation that takes full advantage of Spanish's potential for poetry that rolls right off the tongue and lodges itself firmly in the ears and mind.

I highly recommend it to anyone trying to learn Spanish, even-especially, actually-if you are not Christian. The Spanish language is so intimately tied to Catholicism that it's subtleties (and even its profanity) will be almost entirely lost on someone who has had no exposure to Christianity through the Spanish language. It's like trying to learn Arabic without reading the Koran at any point.

I also recommend Don Quixote, not so much to help with one's Spanish (the language in it is quite archaic and would just confuse and misdirect a beginning student) but because if you can read Spanish at a reasonably advanced level and haven't read Don Quixote, you're missing out on the best-selling book in world history aside from the Bible. Cervantes was a Spanish Shakespeare, and the book is absolutely hilarious.

Posts: 1631 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Bowles
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for David Bowles   Email David Bowles         Edit/Delete Post 
I second both those recommendations. And don't just read book one of Quijote... read 'em both!
Posts: 5663 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yank
Member # 2514

- posted      Profile for Yank   Email Yank         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen them publish the two books separately.
Posts: 1631 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

Well, I just got the package. Thank you Valentine!!!
Valentine014
Member # 5981

You are so welcome!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.