FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Prague or Budapest?

Author Topic: Prague or Budapest?
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Some more of our European trip planning has changed - we now have to choose between Prague & Budapest.... and I just don't know which to go for!

Budapest looks sensational and the thermal springs would be amazing. The Czech Republic has Cesky Krumlov which would be difficult to get to from Budapest, but not Prague and Prague itself seems pretty nice too....

Anyone got any experience and advice?

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never actually been to either, but I've heard from several Europeans that Prague is one of the coolest cities in the world. It's one of my top goals after I get Italy out of the way.

Of course, i'm sure that Budapest is very nice too. If choosing between the two is your biggest dilemma, I doubt you'll get much sympathy 'round here. [Wink]

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
I have also been to neither, but from what I've heard from other travelers, articles, guidebooks, etc., is that Prague is beautiful and charming - and absolutely full of tourists. Budapest, on the other hand, seems to be much less-heavily touristed, and is equally rich in history.

There's actually a very good forum called Eurotrek where a lot of other travelers would be able to help you out with lots of details. (However, their language can be questionable sometimes, just to warn you.)

Personally, I'd love to go to either city, so that's really not much help. Sounds like it'll be a fabulous trip! [Smile]

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Dunno 'bout now but from the Soviet's Fall past the Millenium Party, Prague was the Tiajuana of Europe: LOTS of gringos/YAPs
Their estimate hadda be an undercount, cuz the joke around my set was:
If ya wanna run into somebody ya haven't seen for a while, head to Prague.
Something weird about a city of 1.2 million that keeps bumping you into old friends you didn't expect to see.

[ November 21, 2005, 12:58 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Prague really is an amazing city. No matter what your interests are (historical, cultural, and so forth) odds are you can find something in the city to occupy for as long as you have (Hradcany in particular).

Cesky Krumlov is another spectacular place, and significantly more condensed than metro areas such as Prague. Hopefully it has been restored after the floods a few years ago all but decimated it.

I haven't been to Budapest, so I can't speak too much about it.

EDIT: To correct a lack of reading comprehension.

[ November 21, 2005, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: Architraz Warden ]

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melissa Dedinová
Member # 7890

- posted      Profile for Melissa Dedinová   Email Melissa Dedinová         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see how this could possibly be a question.
Posts: 28 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I was in Prague this summer. It's truly a fabulous city, particularly if you enjoy gothic archetecture.

We came into Prague on bicycles. It was a nightmare. We've bicycled into a number of major European cities including Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Munich, Basel, Dresden, and Strasbourg. We didn't have any problems anywhere except Prague. Cycling through the Czech republic was great and we had no problems until we reached the out skirts of Prague. We then had 2 hours in heavy traffic and poorly marked bike paths trying to get to the city center. It was so bad we decided to take the train to back out of the city. Fortunately, the Czech trains are really cheap.

[ November 21, 2005, 06:40 PM: Message edited by: The Rabbit ]

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phytakai
Member # 8744

- posted      Profile for Phytakai   Email Phytakai         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just in Prague (Praha) a few weeks ago. It is really nice, but being an American and not being able to speak the language made it difficult. I don't know if it was just my experience, but people seemed standoffish and rude. Very nice city though and cool to wander around in.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Psst, Rabbit...

quote:
We've bicycled into a number of major US cities including Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Munich, Basel, Dresden, and Strasbourg.
Our expansionism isn't that rampant. Yet.
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Woops, That should have read "European Cities" not US cities.

Some day I will start proof reading my posts.

Maybe.

Well probably not. Proof reading is work and I don't post so that I can do more work.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

I concur, proofreading is overrated (hence the EDITed post earlier in this thread). Besides, the forum is much more entertaining without it.
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool - interesting responses.... it can be quite difficult to find out some of this info - anyone been to Cesky Krumlov?
Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.