FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Purse Bananas: Euphemisms for nutty things he/she does

Author Topic: Purse Bananas: Euphemisms for nutty things he/she does
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
I asked where the bruised and over-ripe banana came from that suddenly appeared on the kitchen counter long after the good bananas have been devoured.

"I was hungry, so I put it in my purse. It should still be good."

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Cute.

Married Talk.

One day, long before Sasha came into our life, my wife and I were joined by a couple of friends, packing for a weekend at their parents vacation condo. They even allowed us to bring our dog. As our two friends, a newly married couple, sat watching us pack like precision drill team, my wife and I had the following discussion.

Cindy, "Did you..."
Me, "Yes, but..."
Cindy, "I got it."
Me, "Thanks."

Confused, they broke out lauging.

Me, "What are you laughing at?"
Jesse, (the husband) "What was that conversation. We have no clue what you were talking about."
Me, "That's easy. Cindy asked if I had gotten the dog food bowl. I said yes, but not the dog food itself. She then said, "Oh, I see it. I will bring it."
Jesse then turned to his wife and said, "Do me a favor Charity. If we ever start talking like that, shoot me. I never want to be that married."

Since then they have grown to be--that married.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
That's funny, Dan. [Smile]

If my wife calls me at work, I can tell about two-thirds of the time why she's calling before I pick it up--and what mood she will be in.

Ring tone?

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Historian
Member # 8858

- posted      Profile for Historian   Email Historian         Edit/Delete Post 
My kids are the same way.

There is a great park here with a huge wooden castle near the Beach called "Sunshine Park". The first time we went my son fell and scraped his knee pretty bad. So now they ask to go to the "The Park where <child's name> scraped his knee", no matter how many times I tell them it is "Sunshine Park".

Posts: 80 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I love that shorthand.

Except when it doesn't work. lol

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I saw this thread yesterday but didn't click on it. I've been wondering ever since what "Purse Banana" might be a euphemism for.

Well, of all the things I thought of, an actual banana kept in a purse was not one of them. [Evil]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
You naughty, naughty boy... [Wink]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] Oh, man, that is dirty.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that's what happens when you keep your bananas in your purse. It gets dirty. Umm... Yeah...
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
[ROFL] Oh, man, that is dirty.

Well whose fault is that? [Big Grin]

I mean, a euphemism, by definition, is something innocuous meant to represent something potentially offensive.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
EW!!!!!

I knew at first glance what a purse banana is. I've had bananas in my purse, and honestly, skillery, your wife is not that unusual.

[/rerail]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Ew to putting a banana in your purse. Then everything will smell like bananas.

Not that I own a purse, but still.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Bananas are nasty . Full stop.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by theCrowsWife:
Ew to putting a banana in your purse. Then everything will smell like bananas.

Not that I own a purse, but still.

--Mel

But they don't. I mean, I am assuming you don't peel it first. I don't. [ROFL]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno. Every time I ever took a banana in my lunch, even though it was unpeeled it made the rest of the lunch taste like bananas. And then the lunchbox smelled like bananas. *shudder*

Bananas are all well and good, but not something I want to smell every day.

Besides, in the first example she left the banana in there until it was "bruised and over-ripe," so I bet it was pretty smelly by then.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
And then there's the reappearing cubicle-yoghurt.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
I am getting to know a couple that has that same sort of short talk. They also have the cutest euphemisms. They lived in Korea for years as ESL teachers. There, apparently, instead of freecycle, people just put stuff they don't want anymore out on the curb and if you want it, you just take it. Often it is very nice stuff, as people are constantly circulating new stuff through their houses. So they called it roadkill. I had dinner at their place last week and we had fun looking at all the roadkill they'd brought back to the US. [Big Grin]
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.