FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » G.I'll be home for Christmas...2006, from Iraq

Author Topic: G.I'll be home for Christmas...2006, from Iraq
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the Iraqi leadership has asked the US to pullout in one year.
Which of course means that Congressman Murtha was correct in his call for withdrawal of UStroops.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
The first point doesn't validate the second.

Should we withdraw from Iraq? Absolutely.

Should we do it in less than a year? Absolutely not. Prematurely leaving Iraq will do more harm than our current "war" already has.

A realistic, successful, withdrawal from Iraq is years away.

Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I am more interested in the possibility that we are working towards a peace solution with the insurgeants.

If we can get the insurgents to lay down their weapons we can concentrate on the real invaders of Iraq, Zarquawi and his homicidal lunatics.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seespot
Member # 7388

- posted      Profile for seespot   Email seespot         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see in the article where it specifically says that they want the troops out in a year. The only reference to a specific time is the election in December. Am I missing something?
Posts: 77 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tern
Member # 7429

- posted      Profile for tern   Email tern         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid I miss the one year part as well.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

"On Monday, Iraqi Interior Minister Bayan Jabr suggested U.S.-led forces should be able to leave Iraq by the end of next year, saying the one-year extension of the mandate for the multinational force in Iraq by the U.N. Security Council this month could be the last."

The Iraqi leadership conference also declared that the killing US-led troops by "Iraq's opposition" is "a 'legitimate right' of resistance". And that terrorism consists of "acts of violence, killing and kidnapping targeting Iraqi citizens and humanitarian, civil, government institutions, national resources and houses of worships."
Apparently, attacks on Coalition troops and collaterally damaged Iraqis are okay as long as the target isn't Iraqi.

[ November 22, 2005, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JTruant711
Member # 8868

- posted      Profile for JTruant711           Edit/Delete Post 
Being stuck over here... I'm going to say that it will never happen. Not because of politcal or social or whatever reasons. Because I'm not that lucky.
Posts: 73 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Aspectre, I hate to say it, but they are right. One is an insurgeant, a rebel. The other is a terrorists. You can come to peace with rebels. Not with terrorists.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

Are you agreeing, Dan_Raven, with TheHumanTarget's suggestion that Coalition troops would be stomping on the Iraqis' human rights if "Iraq's opposition" weren't exercizing their "legitimate right of resistance"?

[ November 22, 2005, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

quote:
Are you agreeing, Dan_Raven, with TheHumanTarget's suggestion that Coalition troops would be stomping on the Iraqis' human rights if "Iraq's opposition" weren't exercizing their "legitimate right of resistance"?
Ummm...where did I write this?
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TheHumanTarget:
quote:
Ummm...where did I write this?
aspectre seems to be hearing only what he wants to.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

I admit that I was suprised that my statement was so grossly misinterpreted...
aspectre
Member # 2222

So your point wasn't that the US would do nigh well whatever it pleased, hang whatever Iraqi sentiments might be?
aspectre
Member # 2222

With Rumsfeld and Rice trial ballooning for withdrawal, it is now apparent that Dubya&Gang couldn't jump on Murtha's bandwagon fast enough. As long-time Republican propagandist PatBuchannon points out, pulling out half of UStroops by November2006 has become the primary Republican campaign strategy for the USCongressionalElections.
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that's what THT is saying at all. From what I gather, he's saying that it would be irresponsible to leave now that we have involved ourselves in this war. To leave them on their own with little stability would be a problem. now that we've gotten involved we have to make sure the Iraqi government will be stable and successful once we pull out. It's not about Iraqi human rights, it's about the government succeeding as a whole. At least that's how I see it. I don't think we should pull out now. We need to see it through. I'm not sure how taking troops out will play out, however. To be honest I haven't really thought enough about it. I reserve judgement on this issue.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.