FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » For the first time, I have a reason to watch "StarGate: SGI"...

Author Topic: For the first time, I have a reason to watch "StarGate: SGI"...
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Because they're showing a scene from that film I've obsessed about ever since I first came to Hatrack! Why else? [Wink]

Oooh. I hope it's either "Lucy Meets Mr. Tumnus" or "Edmund and the Witch".

Though I get the feeling it'll be another glimpse of the big battle.

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
If that's your only reason to watch Stargate, then all I have to say is, you are not one of us. *glares*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Awww.

I never forgave SciFi for cancelling MST3K, so I've not really followed much of their later shows. [Smile]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, really, Stargate has gone downhill this last season or two. It's still one of the best things on, but you should totally Netflix it. (It didn't start out on SciFi, I don't think.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
If that's your only reason to watch Stargate, then all I have to say is, you are not one of us. *glares*

For some of "us," even that isn't a reason to watch it. [Razz]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Then, you, too, are not one of US.

Those who are some of US will know who they are. [Big Grin]

Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, my name is Shigosei and I'm a Stargate addict.

Hi, Shigosei.

I would join the Air Force if I thought there might really be a Stargate under Cheyenne Mountain and there was even the slightest possibility that I might get to go through it.

My family once stopped to take a picture of a stranger's house because it had a decorative standing stone circle.

If I need to tell someone that a word has two LLs, I hold up three fingers.

Yes, I need help. I have definitely lost it. Which means go crazy. Nuts. Insane. Bonzo. No longer in possession of one's faculties. Three fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
Lol, I am with you there Shigosei.
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I would join the Air Force if I thought there might really be a Stargate under Cheyenne Mountain and there was even the slightest possibility that I might get to go through it.
As would I, and I'm not even American. [Razz]

quote:
If I need to tell someone that a word has two LLs, I hold up three fingers.
But of course. How else would you get the point across? [Big Grin]

(Does it say Colonel anywhere on my uniform?)

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished buying all the DVDs for Stargate. I now own 1-8 for SG1 and Season One of Atlantis.

I love them.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I like Stargate because it has a low commitment (as in, it's not like Battlestar Galactica, which is like watching a train wreck in slow motion), loveable characters, interesting (although somewhat predicatable) plots and a great premise. It's enjoyable, funny and exciting.

I always get a little annoyed, no offense twinky, with people always looking down their noses at Stargate because it's a "lesser" sci fi show. People forget that there are different types of science fiction, just as there are with any other developed genre. Just because your preferred style is different, doesn't make the people who like it somehow not as refined or as smart as you, just that they happen to like different things, or, even, more things.

Sorry, that was a rant, but it really bothers me that Stargate has this stigma attached to it when, in the grand scheme of things, it's not a bad show and it's not a silly brainless one!

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never forgiven SciFi for cancelling Farscape. As glad as I am that Ben Browder and Claudia Black have nice steady jobs that could go on indefinitely, I will not be watching them.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
What are they in? I mean, I'm off in nowhere land....
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I followed SG1 every week until this latest season. Sorry y'all, but I've seen the light -- SG1 has jumped the shark. I might have let the silly stuff introduced in this season slide if they hadn't completely ravaged the SG-1 team. So sad that the banter is gone. [Frown]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
What are they in? I mean, I'm off in nowhere land....
The're in SG-1. Unfortunately. *sighs*

Not that they're not good or anything-- I still watch (or will WHEN THEY GIVE US BACK OUR FREAKING TV), but yeah, I think the shark has been jumped. Still better than a lot of stuff on, though-- I watched the X-Files even after it jumped the shark, and at the end was glad I had. [Smile]

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I should point out that I'm in the second season, so I'm still in all the good bits.
[Smile] [Smile]

I do love Stargate Atlantis, though. When it's on. Not that they show it in Canada.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

kq - thanks. Um, we haven't watched season 2 of Atlantis at all, nor the current season of Stargate SG1. I want to, but Fahim argues that we're in the middle of season 2 and we can work our way there...

Sigh.

I need my current Stargate fix, too, ya know!!!!!

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
what happened exactly thats ticking off some of you?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

What if I only like the movie?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, really, Stargate has gone downhill this last season or two. It's still one of the best things on, but you should totally Netflix it. (It didn't start out on SciFi, I don't think.)

If you're refering to the movie that started it all then you are correct. The film was not a SciFi Network production. However, Stargate SG1 and Atlantas are both SciFi original series, though old episodes are being syndicated. I know for sure that they are on UPN.
Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure about that? I though Stargate SG1 started on Showtime.

edit:

According to Wikipedia:
quote:
Stargate SG-1 debuted on Showtime on July 27, 1997, and moved to the Sci-Fi Channel after its fifth season.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

It might have jumped the shark. I think it started lagging around Season Eight, but there was still enough good stuff there to keep me interested.

It all depends on where they take this Ori thing. Season Ten COULD be good. I really like Claudia Black, and I've....grown accustomed to Ben Browder, though I'm really not a huge fan.

Atlantis is going to fall apart too if they don't kick it up a notch. I don't really feel like I'm being taken anywhere with that series. There's no progress made after two seasons.

I'd like to see a little more crossover between the two series. I'm glad they are both starting up again soon. Richard Dean Anderson is supposed to be coming back for a few episodes here and there, but nothing like a full term basis. Can't say I blame him, but a piece of the show died when he left. I will watch anxiously this season to see what happens. With the Season Nine closer, they have a real dramatic situation set up. The last fifteen minutes of the last ep of season nine I barely breathed. It was good and tense, and destroyed everything we've really come to think of as the foundations of the Milky Way. Everything is up for grabs now.

Personally, I'll be satisfied if they just explain the who, what, where and why on the Furlings this season.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the movie was a theatrical release? You know...released in the cinema?
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andi330
Member # 8572

- posted      Profile for andi330           Edit/Delete Post 
The next part of that same paragraph in Wikipedia says this:

quote:
Since season six, the show is aired on the Sci Fi Channel.
I know for a fact that this is not true. SG1 has been on the SciFi network for more than just three seasons. I can't find any information on Stargate on Showtime's website and the SciFi network bill SG1 as a SciFi network original series, which I've never heard them do for a show that didn't originate on their network. So I think, (though I could be wrong) that SG1 originated on the SciFi Network. Remember that anyone can change things in Wikipedia, so it may not be accurate.

Edit: imdb.com does refer to Showtime versions of the show but it does not say when they made the jump to scifi. However, Atlantis is 100% scifi network and spun off during the seventh season of SG1.

Edit 2: It is interesting that if sg1 did originate with showtime, that the DVD versions of the seasons that appeared on showtime are not priced at the usual showtime price of $80-$100 but are much more reasonable at about $30-$50.

Posts: 1214 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angiomorphism
Member # 8184

- posted      Profile for Angiomorphism           Edit/Delete Post 
Whoever said they miss the banter, there's actually some really good banter this season between Mitchell and DJ (like in the episode where they finally get that machine that cancels Ori powers working, and they are taunting the guy, that's hiallrious!)

Mitchel isn't Jack, and that's a good thing. He really did bring a whole new dynamic to the show, and I personally enjoyed the episodes where he's kind of working his way into the team. I have seen almost every episode, and I have all of the seasons so far (both Atlantis and SG-1), and I can honestly say that I enjoy the recent episodes just as much as I enjoy the old ones (there were some quality episodes this season, like when Orlin comes back.. great 2 shows, and sad!!!)

Anyway, I gues my point is that I disagree with everyone who says the show went downhill (though I do have one quabble, the whole carter/jack romance that never really happened but kind of did, wtf). This season was on the whole pretty good, had a great dramatic ending, and had some hillarious dialogue (which is really why we all love Stargate rather than other sci fi I think).

Posts: 441 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
Not that it really matters, but from Gateworld.net:
quote:
The shows air on The SCI FI Channel in the United States. (For its first five seasons, SG-1 was aired commericial-free on the Showtime subscription cable channel in the U.S.)
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
It might have jumped the shark. I think it started lagging around Season Eight, but there was still enough good stuff there to keep me interested.

It all depends on where they take this Ori thing. Season Ten COULD be good. I really like Claudia Black, and I've....grown accustomed to Ben Browder, though I'm really not a huge fan.

That about sums up my feelings about the recent seasons. I don't really like the absurdity that was brought in w/Claudia Black, but she's so hilarious that it's almost worth it.

quote:
Personally, I'll be satisfied if they just explain the who, what, where and why on the Furlings this season.
For some reason, I keep on picturing them as Tribbles. *shudder*
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
That about sums up my feelings about the recent seasons. I don't really like the absurdity that was brought in w/Claudia Black, but she's so hilarious that it's almost worth it.
Precisely how I feel.
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
I ahve a friend who has the 8 seasons of SG1 currently available on DVD, and Atlantis Season 1 as well.

She loaned the mto me, and I've now made it through al 8 seasons of SG1 and am working through Atlantis's 1st season.

SG1 took a while to grow on me, but I've come to enjoy it. Even so, like someone said up above. . .it's just fluff. No commitment to it is necessary, and if you miss an episode here and there you don't really miss all that much (though some would be "critical" to the overall story.

Atlantis. . . I'm not in very far yet, so I'm still getting a feel for the characters. It's okay so far, but I am hoping for improvement. I'm told that season 2 is "a lot better" so. . . I guess I'll see,

Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I wouldn't necessarily call it fluff. In the sense that more or less ALL television is fluff to a certain degree, alright, it's fluff. But there's a lot of very real character development in there. And some issues being discussed from time to time.

I have all 8 seasons of SG1 on DVD, and 1 of Atlantis, and eagerly await the next season of both. Hint to everyone buying them, check out Amazon and Costco before you buy anywhere else. I practically got a third of them for free from the savings accrued from getting them at Amazon and Costco instead of Best Buy or what not.

I'm a little annoyed that I heard they'd start releasing the DVDs in the thin cases instead of the giant box sets they've released the last 8 seasons in. Now my set won't match, and it'll still take up a buttload of room. I'm considering buying a Media binder to store them all in and put the boxes somewhere else.

calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yes, I need help. I have definitely lost it. Which means go crazy. Nuts. Insane. Bonzo. No longer in possession of one's faculties. Three fries short of a happy meal. WACKO!
Making smiley faces on your plate with your mustard and ketchup is perfectly normal... Right?

I think that's one of my favorite episodes. I like all the Jack focused episodes. The series has definitely lost a little since Jack's retirement. His replacement just isn't ornery, saavy, or downright badash enough to fill Jack's shoes.

Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never seen this show, though I was tempted to watch when I heard Ben Browder and Claudis Black were on it now. I love them both soooo much! [Wink]

But, I'd have to,like, download it all and I just don't have the will. I do sort of know people who write fanfic of it, but I haven't read any. Cuz I don't, you know, really care.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
There is only one reason to watch Stargate SG1, and it is the best reason in the world and everyone should watch it, because.... it has Macgyver in it!

Hell yeah, any show that stars Macgyver (and don't give me any Richard Dean Anderson crap) should be watched by absolutely everyone.

*Drools*....mmmmm, Macgyver....

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numinor West
Member # 9375

- posted      Profile for Numinor West   Email Numinor West         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that with the Ori, its almost a new show. Which means we have to give the cast and writers some time to find their groove. As Angi stated, there were some good episodes last season where the banter worked nicely. Saying SG1 has jumped the shark is a bit harsh. I really give the writers credit for not doing something as contrived and stupid that would constitute a jump. Not yet.

As for SG-Atlantis, I really can't get into that show. I try. But, I only watch it now if there is nothing else on.

Posts: 90 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I think that the Ori thing is finally getting better; at the end of last season, I actually was involved and all. (Better than the Replicators. I wasn't really into the Replicators.) And Atlantis, well, it's good on DVD. I can't seem to watch it with commercials in it, it interrupts the flow so much that I get irritated and bored.

And have you seen the MacGyver commercial? It's teh awesome. [Big Grin]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*looks at Olivia suspiciously* And here I was thinking you were one of US.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

They considered renaming SG1 to Stargate Command, but didn't because they didn't want to anger fans. It really is a new show in many ways.

But SG1 won't last much longer. Canadian production costs are rising, and it's only because of a tax break that they remain in Vancouver at all. Also with every season contracts are renegotiated, and salaries rise. Eventually it'll be impossible to turn a profit from the show, and it will end.

But I think the next generation of Stargate is coming soon, there is serious talk again of Stargate II being filmed as a feature length film in the next couple years, and that will end with the setup for a third Stargate show. What became the last episode of Season 7, and the first of Season One of Atlantis was supposed to be the second movie, but they turned it into good television instead.

I think SG1 will peter out around Season Twelve or Thirteen, which means ending this Ori thing in just a couple years. And by then we'll have another series started up and running.

PS. Window of Opportunity is a great episode [Smile]

vonk
Member # 9027

quote:
And have you seen the MacGyver commercial? It's teh awesome.
Yes! I had to change my pants after I saw that! Your talking about the credit card commercial right? Or is there another, there should be another. *sigh* I miss that magical man.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

He'll be back. His daughter told him he could go back to work. Five episodes this season between Atlantis and SG1.
vonk
Member # 9027

Oh no, he'll never be back, not really. Just his gun wielding doppleganger. Mac rode off into the sunset on his motorcycle with his son at his side on a crotch rocket. How could you leave us Mac?!

*sigh* I wish I were his son....

(hmm, I think I may have a man crush on Macgyver)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.