FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Maurice "Rocket" Richard : The Movie

Author Topic: Maurice "Rocket" Richard : The Movie
digging_hoIes
Member # 6963

- posted      Profile for digging_hoIes   Email digging_hoIes         Edit/Delete Post 
Hockey legend, French-Canadian hero, now become almost a mythological figure, fifty years after he played and five years after his death.

Now, I don't really care for hockey, which is perhaps a tad unusual for a canadian. I am pretty much indifferent, though I do think it's a rather fun sport. But I haven't really cared about it since I was about eight years old.

But I have just come from seeing the movie about the life and hockey career of Maurice Richard. I can safely say it's the best movie I've seen in a long time, if not one of the best movies I have ever seen, period. In fact, I would even go so far as to say that it was beautiful.

Forget hockey movie. That is just the backdrop. It's a movie about the early rumblings of social upheaval that would lead to Québec's Quiet Revolution. It chronicles the growing tension and pressure felt by French-Canadians in Quebec, relegated to being second-class citizens in their own province. Richard was the reluctant hero to these people who had very few heroes in those times. And throughout, the movie does so without ever going overboard or becoming overtly political.

I don't think I should say much more, lest I wreck it. Maybe you have to be a Quebecker to get the full impact of this movie. It will likely not go far outside of Québec, certainly not out of Canada, because it would mean next to nothing to foreign audiences. It just assumes an intimate involvement with the culture and emotions of the history, the people and the place.

But, really, it's a shame. Because this movie beats out most Best Picture Oscar-winners. Certainly, nothing this good has come out of Hollywood for a long, long time.

Synopsis at Tribute.com
Maurice Richard on Wikipedia.

Posts: 109 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you!

As a non Canadian, but a childhood resident of the Adirondack region, I watched the Canadiens with great passion when I was a youth in the Seventies.

I remember one game, during the fighting-is-cool stage(fighting was not always cool in NHL hockey) between the Canadiens and the Flyers.

The benches emptied, and a major brawl ensued.

Yet, there was HEnri Richard, the only man still sitting on the bench. He was about fifty(?) at that time, at the end of his career.

I have always rmembered that moment.

I will see this movie for sure!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
DUh.
Oh, heck. I read too fast.
Maurice, not Henri.
I will go to see it nonetheless.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
dh, thanks for mentioning this! I hadn't heard of the movie, although of course I've heard of the Rocket, and I'm not at all into hockey either. In fact, I would go so far as to say it bores me to tears. But your description of the movie has me convinced I want to see it.

I wonder if it'll make it here? It's not completely impossible. We've had "Baptists at the Barbecue", "My Two Best Years" and "The Work and the Glory" show up here, all LDS movies in a country with less than 2000 LDS members, and only perhaps 10 DVD players in the lot, mostly belonging to the foreigners.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dh
Member # 6929

- posted      Profile for dh   Email dh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Elizabeth:
DUh.
Oh, heck. I read too fast.
Maurice, not Henri.
I will go to see it nonetheless.

Elizabeth, I believe Henri Richard was Maurice's little brother. In fact, they even nicknamed him "The Pocket Rocket". [Smile]
Posts: 609 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dh
Member # 6929

Oh, and lest there be any confusion for people trying to find the film, the title of this thread is not the title of the movie. It is simply called "Maurice Richard." The version with English subtitles is called "The Rocket", I believe.
Posts: 609 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah. Good info to have, dh. Er, the other dh. The Pocket DH?
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dh
Member # 6929

Hahaha.

We are both one and the same, my dear quid. This is my sleeker, compact, sexier screen name, mainly used for the purposes of Landmark Avoidance.

quidscribis
Member # 5124

Ah. Didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know.

Of course, in five more seconds, I'll forget this conversation ever took place... [Smile]

dh
Member # 6929

I've just learned that the english-subtitled version entitled "The Rocket" will not be distributed outside of Québec before March 2006. I assume this means at least English Canada, but I don't know if this includes the U.S. or elsewhere.
quidscribis
Member # 5124

WAAAAAAAH!!!!!

I wonder if they take piraters into consideration when they say that? Hmm. I'll have to see if we can get a copy locally just to prove them wrong...

dh
Member # 6929

It might not be impossible. I know the english-subtitle version is already playing in a few Quebec theatres. They just haven't distributed it outside yet.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.