FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » SO*, I am now Management (almost). . . now with questions for FL people

Author Topic: SO*, I am now Management (almost). . . now with questions for FL people
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I got called into the office of my manager at work today. I moved to FL about two months ago, and am doing fairly well by my standards... I have had a few issues with some of the other commission people there already, but nothing major, just typical commission stuff... so I had no idea why he wanted to speak to me in private...I hoped it was for something good, but I wasn't sure at all.

He asked if I was interested in entering the management program. even better, he said that the store manager had asked about me, and that the company was considering creating a "specialty management position" within the management program, and that the store manager wanted me to have that position, providing I was interested.

I was flattered, but cautious. I said I was very interested in hearing more about it, and would really give it a lot of consideration. [Big Grin] His reply was that he never expected that I would agree to something without hearing all the details, details he personally didn't have at that time. [Big Grin]

He had told the store manager that he thought I was a good choice, and that he thought I would be very interested in it, providing it was within the city limits of Orlando, since I had just moved down here from MA.

He knows me pretty well, huh? [Big Grin] And they were thinking about relocating me....

He just asked me tonight, and I hope it is what I think it is...and actual management position, rather than a shift leader position. I make more than most shift leaders already as a commission suit person. [Wink]

As long as it isn't a pay cut (or at least a major one), and is truly a management position, full time-year around, I will be taking it.

Wish me luck!

[Big Grin]

[ November 29, 2005, 12:09 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, Kwea. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck! I hope it works out well for you. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, that's great! [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Thanks, I an excited to hear more about it, although a little worried that it won't match what I need to say yes....nothing could be more awkward than saying no to this because it sucks and still working for them... [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure you can manage, somehow. Good luck.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Thanks. It probably isn't the best case or the worst case things I have been wondering about, anyway.

Reality is almost always somewhere in the middle, as inconsiderate as that may be. [Big Grin]

Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hat] Congratulations on the opportunity.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Thanks. [Big Grin]

I found out a little bit more about it today, and will be having a sit down meeting with my store manager for an actual interview at a later date, although probably this week, I think.

I talked to my dad, who is a former store manager for the same company, and who just retired a few months ago, and he said it seems like the real deal. He also gave me some ball park figures to look for, although with disclaimers [Wink] , and I thought of some specific questions to ask.

It will be either a Fine Jewelry department or a Shoe Department manager position, and depending on how the bonus program is structured for each, sometimes shoes is the better option. It IS a real manager position, althouhg a rather specific one...I would be completely in charge of the department, with only minor store level responsibilities.

Sometimes not...depending on store volume jewelry can be one of the best jobs in the stores.....

I can't wait to find out more. [Smile]

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I was about to ask if you knew anything more. Thanks for filling us in!

It sounds good so far. Good luck and keep us updated!

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea - this is great! Congratulations on earning the respect and notice of your superiors!

Way to go!

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Go for the jewelry.

When my 10-yr anniversary comes around, we'll have to talk. [Razz]

BTW, was Black Friday at the Florida Mall any worse than where you came from?

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Yeah...we set the company record for total sales in a single day for one store...well over a million. [Big Grin]
Kwea
Member # 2199

Zan, want to meet for lunch tommorrow? I am not working, unless they call me in for that meeeting. [Big Grin]

Jenni is working today and tommorrow, her parents fly in on Friday for a visit so she switched days off. [Big Grin]

zgator
Member # 3833

I thought that might be. That's why I avoid the mall like the plaque on BF. Actually, I avoid all malls that day, but especially that one.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Actually we weren't that busy after about 2 pm...the doorbusters were done by then so psople wandered off. [Big Grin]
zgator
Member # 3833

I can't this week. We're driving to St. George on Wed., so I'm trying to cram a week's worth of work in 2.5 days. That's why I'm typing this twice as fast as I normally would.
zgator
Member # 3833

Does anyone ever actually buy something at JCPenney for full price? If I've ever seen anything I wanted that wasn't on sale, I've always known I could come back in a week and it would go on sale.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats on moving on up... to the east side.

And the nice thing is that even if it's a tiny step down, income wise, you're opening a lot of future doors by getting management experience.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:
Originally posted by zgator:
Does anyone ever actually buy something at JCPenney for full price? If I've ever seen anything I wanted that wasn't on sale, I've always known I could come back in a week and it would go on sale.

That's why they are the only retailer making good meny these days (other than Wal-Mart)...

You always come back for it, right?

[Big Grin]

They are a lot of things, but stupid isn't one of them.

Kwea
Member # 2199

Not everything is on sale always, but they do have a lot of sales for sure, and as long as you can wait a little bit you can usualy get a great deal on it.

I was just selling 400$ Pierre Cardin suits (which is STILL less than most places sell them) for $160, wihtout any employee discounts.

I did over $5000 worth of commission sales on Fri and SAT alone....and there were 7 commission people on, although only one of them did as well or better than I did.

[Big Grin]

punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to wish you happiness and success in your new home, since I missed doing so earlier and also wish you success in this possible promotion.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck. I hope it works out for you.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Thanks...looks like I got it, although as it stands now I have to interview for it.

The manager who asked me to join will be conducting the interview though. [Big Grin]

Put it this way....Jim, my department manager, shook my hand and said " Congratulations. ". [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

It is a significant pay raise, although exactally how mcu of one will depend on which job I take and what their volume is in sales. My father said to ask to see the last years reports before I decide, providing I will be given a choice (and I probably will).

Yeah me! [Big Grin]

jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay!! Congratulations!
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I have a question, for those of you here in FL....

I may have an option of sotres, but I know nothing of the areas. One is the West Oaks mall, and the other is the JCPenney Orlando Fashion Sq mall.There is also another one in Altemont Springs, but that is almost 30 miles away, too far for me to consider, I think. [Big Grin]

Which is in a better area? WHich would probably be a busier mall/store? I will check the figures, of couse, as I have access to a lot of confidential info, but the numbers often don't tell the whole story.

Kwea

zgator
Member # 3833

I would say that after the Fl. Mall, Altamonte is probably the busiest, but Fashion Square is close behind. I haven't been to the West Oaks mall in years, but I remember it is a rather small one. However, that area has been booming residentially, so they might have expanded.

The Altamonte mall is right off I-4, so if traffic is good, it's not a bad drive. Of course, how often is traffic good on I-4 (says one who is working to make it better)?

Fashion Square is east of downtown Orlando, so you would still have a pretty good drive getting there. If you get a chance, you might want to try driving it. Let me know where you ended up at and making I could think of good directions. It is a nice area, though. Winter Park is just north, Baldwin Park is on the east side, Thornton Park is SW, etc.

West Oaks is out in Ocoee and Winter Garden. Once the Western Beltway is connected with I-4 down by Disney, which should be within a year, that would be your quickest drive.

Kwea
Member # 2199

I am going to drive to two of them today, I think, with the rain here I can't really clean out the cars as I had planned so I might as well. [Big Grin]

Thanks for the info, but I still feel like Altamont might be too far, it takes me almost 40 min just to get to the FL mall from here most days, and that is only 10.8 miles (according to mapquest).

Kwea
Member # 2199

I will be looking at them soon, I am going to the Doctors office first, then to the malls, if I have time.

[Big Grin]

Kwea
Member # 2199

Well, $170 dollars later, and needing eye surgery (sort of), I got out of the doc's ffice today.

I went to one of the other malls tonight...West Oaks is a very nice mall, but our store there is small. It is also about 40 min away from my house, even with light traffic. [Frown]

[ November 29, 2005, 11:47 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Do Jewelry! My mom had a summer job at JCP's and she got the greatest deals on rings n' things. I know there is a special someone in your life who will thank you for it.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

I probably will, providing that the volume will be good at whatever location they send me to.

Keep in mind that I get the discount on that stuff no matter where I work in the store. [Smile]

I think that managing jewlery is a better choice based on marketability, in case I want to go somewhere else and work in a few years. [Cool]

Kwea
Member # 2199

I had a quick meeting with my store manager today, and he wanted to know if I could make up a resume sometime in the next week or so...I told him I would have it for him tommorrow, and he seemed suprised that I had one ready. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I just popped my head in to ask if I was suppose to schedual the apointmet with him or if he would let me know...I didn't want to push, but I also didn't want to not ask in case they were expecting me to do it myself in order to express an interest in the position.

He said he would recommend me, and that my supervisior had spoken highly of me, but that he wanted to speak to me because he didn't know me very well personally. I had to interview with the DM as well, although that might be a phone interview.

He said that there will be several openings in Jan, and that there was a few possibilities, including several that involved me skipping the training program completely and becomming a department manager right away. [Big Grin] If that didn't seem to work out, I might enter the management training program and work up from there.

He said that he will get back to me, either tomorrow or Friday. [Smile]

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Kwea! [Smile]

It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Even if that guy is only ranked 550 these days? [Wink]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.