FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Damn you, Safeway!

Author Topic: Damn you, Safeway!
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
You would think that after the Affair of the Inedible Sausages I would be a bit more cautious of buying food at Safeway on the grounds that it is cheap. But no. So yesterday I plunked down 3 dollars for this steak.

Now, I don't object to a large bone; that means a lot of marrow, which is yummy. And you can trim fat off the edge of the steak. It's when you cut into the middle of the steak and discover that it is mainly gristle, that I object. By a rough estimate, that hunk of meat was maybe 10% bone, 15% fat, and 30% gristle. I kid you not; quite literally, one third of the damn thing was completely inedible due to being tougher than leather. No wonder the damn thing was cheap.

[Mad]

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude, you need more money... Bad food sucks. Since i got a better job I've been eating fresh salmon.
I love fresh salmon and pineapple too.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been kicked out of a half dozen Safeways in Edmonton. [Big Grin] I love having fun in Safeways. You know, bouncing their beach balls around. Stuff like that. Innocent, harmless fun. Yeah, that kind. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Safeway has some great sandwiches. And their tomato bisque soup is good too.

I don't know that I'd call them 'cheap,' however. . .

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't call Safeway cheap . .. oh no, precious, not cheap at all. *twinkle*

KOM - do you have a Top Foods nearby? Some of their stuff is reasonably priced, but the two I've been to in my neighborhood have great meat and produce people that will take the time to help, including getting the right cut of meat out of a larger cut, with a good attitude.

Find a Top Foods and tell them you received a recommendation based on hearing about other Top Foods employees' willingness to help, good attitude, and reasonable pricing of their product - and wanted to check them out . . .

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
A pretty good cheap steak is a London Broil.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Dude. If you want decent meat, you need to do one of three things: Trader Joe's and get their frozen stuff or whatever's a decent price, watch for sales at your local Ralphs and Albertsons and Vons, or lay out the extra money and hit Stater Bros. (which has the best meat in SoCal. No, I don't shop there, but my dad does, and he invites me over.) It's not gonna be quite as cheap (although I don't call a $3 steak that's mostly bone, fat, and gristle "cheap"), but you can eat meatless the rest of the time (see the "Being Poor and Eating Healthy" thread) and supplement that with the meat you find occasionally. (I stock up and keep it in the freezer. Works quite well.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Trader Joe's... yes.. they rock.

Kroger's has good food too.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Out here, there's no Kroger's-- the Kroger brand is Ralphs. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmm...stewed neckbones!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Safeways still exist? They all went out of business around here and pulled out of Kansas -- so I didn't know they were still operating anywhere else.........
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Safeway is now the parent company of Dominick's here in Chicago. Bummer, too, cause the company seemed to be a heck of a lot better when the DiMatteo family still ran it.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Safeway is definitely expensive, but we used to shop there a lot because of their excellent customer service. Earlier posts seem to indicate that this is not the case everywhere, but in Tucson, Safeway is the nicest of the big chain grocery stores. Well, except for the one near the university.

They also have a really nice produce section here.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Why not forget the second- and third-rate beef and sausages and go with chicken? Always of reliable quality, and after eggs and beans, the least expensive protein in the supermarket.
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Safeway's all over British Columbia and Alberta, but they're not known for their service. They're more known for run-down stores and poor selection, except that they carry Ben & Jerry's ice cream, which, when I lived there, was pretty much the only source of that ice cream in town.
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Not that fond of chicken, actually. And I shop at Safeway because it is convenient to my way home from work, which is important when you bicycle.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
The Safeways where I lived in California always had excellent quality - especially the produce.

Kroger's just can't compete.

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
Safeways vary a lot from place to place from what I've seen. I was pretty annoyed when I came back to visit Anchorage and discovered the locally-owned (and rather good) Carr's groceries had become Safeways. The quality definitely took a turn for the worse.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by quidscribis:
I've been kicked out of a half dozen Safeways in Edmonton. [Big Grin] I love having fun in Safeways. You know, bouncing their beach balls around. Stuff like that. Innocent, harmless fun. Yeah, that kind. [Big Grin]

http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbmain/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=020916#000000
Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Whew! I thought you were chastizing me for repeating myself again!
Artemisia Tridentata
Member # 8746

- posted      Profile for Artemisia Tridentata   Email Artemisia Tridentata         Edit/Delete Post 
Here in our little town, if you don't like Safeways, its 78 miles to the next store. I think I'll just stick with Safeways. However, I do watch for sales (they are the same prices as the rest if the system) and stock up for the freezer.
Posts: 1167 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.