FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Simple powerful things people say

Author Topic: Simple powerful things people say
Troubadour
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Troubadour   Email Troubadour         Edit/Delete Post 
Rushing around today doing some last minute travel shopping Justine and I were in line at one of our big Aussie department stores (Myer) getting our travel pillows and wound up talking to another shopper while we waited. She was also heading off to London like us and so we chatted amiably for a while.

When we'd finished our transaction we were saying our goodbyes we both said "Have a good trip!" - and then she added:

"Be safe."

This statement, so heartfelt in its sincerity resonated so strongly within me that I went weak at the knees before returning the sentiment.

I guess I didn't realise how strongly the whole terrorism thing has actually affected me. While the US has definitely had the largest, most visible attack, it was on US home turf.

Australians have been targeted and continue to be targeted overseas. The two Bali bombings in particular were aimed squarely at us and other attacks have occured against our embassies. Recent documents have surfaced that outline how best to specifically attack Australian tourists.

Up until that point, I had barely even considered our safety overseas from that perspective, and her statement certainly didn't make me worry.

However it made me realise to what extent these events have had exactly the opposite effect that the terrorists intended. It's widened our community. This woman fevently wished for my well-being and safety. It seemed as if it was almost as important to her as if we were part of her own family. And I realised that I feel the same for all other Australians who will be travelling this Christmas. In some ways its brought us as a nation closer together.

We are not afraid.

And this woman's well-wishing had a power to it that felt like an invocation, a warding. As she said it, I got goosebumps, my knees went weak. I felt protected.

Posts: 2245 | Registered: Nov 1998  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Why the hell are Aussies being targeted? I mean...of all countries to think of as likely targets, Australia just doesn't pop up on the radar.

Dunno. Whenever I think Australia, my first thought is "good folks down there."

And what a powerful moment, TTT.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Australia is very close to Indonesia, which has a very serious terrorist problem. And Australia's government is considered "Western" and friendly to the USA.

I'm glad you had that experience, Troubador [Smile]

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
It's good to be reminded that good people exist. [Smile]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the most impressive people I have ever met have been Aussies. that whole "mate" thing in parliament really got me chortling.
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.