FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » It's cold!

Author Topic: It's cold!
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
And not outside, either, where it is supposed to be, but at my computer desk. Which for reasons of access to phone jacks and power outlets has to be well away from the gas heater, which in any case isn't powerful enough for this size of room. Why oh why can't these Americans build houses with double glazing and proper insulation? With my quilt around my shoulders my core temperature is well enough, but my fingers are absolutely freezing, to the point of interfering with my typing. [Mad]
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Where are you again?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Palo Alto, in California.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
*blink*

Wait...how can it be cold...dude! It's 57 degrees F there. Aren't you from a place where it's colder?!

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
Turn the air con down, maybe?

Just kidding. The boiler in my house is slowly packing up, so I know what it is to be cold...

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Trust me, there ain't no 14 degrees outside where I live. And while Norway is certainly colder, Norway has houses with double-glazed windows, powerfully insulated walls, and more than one measly heater per room. And cheap electricity too, I might mention.
jh
Member # 7727

- posted      Profile for jh   Email jh         Edit/Delete Post 
Are all of your windows closed?
Posts: 155 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

Generally, places that experience mild weather tend to have less for insulation.
King of Men
Member # 6684

Yes, jh, they are assuredly closed. Though with only one pane of glass in them, and no curtains, God knows how much good it does. I'm hanging bedsheets over them to keep the heat in.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
If you lived in a more civilized part of the United States, there would indeed be insulation. Palo Alto is our frontier, our hinterland, and the benefits of society have yet to trickle down to those poor unfortunates.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Get thick plastic sheeting and duct tape to put up over the windows. Then either hang thick curtains or blankets.

A trip to your local hardware store will provide you with stripping to put in the door jambs.

Roll up towels or blankets to put against the lower portion of the doors.

Do 10 push-ups, 10 sit-ups and 100 jumping jacks for a break from the computer every 15 minutes.

Invest in wool socks, long johns, and those half-finger gloves. Wear a stocking cap and retain the heat.

Keep hot water boiling for tea. Warm tea mugs smell nice and make for happy fingers.

Hmmm . . . let's see - what else can cold-blooded individuals do to survive frigid temps . . . *grin*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Try getting some curtains.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jh
Member # 7727

- posted      Profile for jh   Email jh         Edit/Delete Post 
How can it be that cold? I only live 20 minutes from you and it's too hot in my house unless the windows are slightly open.
Posts: 155 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bella Bee:
Turn the air con down, maybe?

Don't laugh too hard, Bella. The high here in Fresno yesterday was 60 degrees, and my next-door neighbor had his air conditioner blasting yesterday morning when I took the trash out (well before it reached the day's high temperature). No wonder the poor cat was sunning himself in the bedroom window out back later in the day. Poor kitty.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
*has ac and fan on and is still pretty hot* It never gets cold in Florida.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
3M makes plastic sheeting kits where you use double sided tape to stick heat-shrinkable plastic over your windows. My windows are double glazed, but I still put them up over several of my windows every year, because the window frames leak air.

Once the plastic is shrunk with a hair dryer, you can barely tell it's there, and it makes a huge difference in how warm the room feels. But we don't put it up over the windows that the dogs look through when we get home. (Shred)

You can get it at hardware stores, Kmart, etc.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Go to Canada, KoM. You'll get plenty of double glazing and properly insulated houses there. Especially northern Alberta, for example. Oh heck, for that matter, the further north ya go, the better quality insulation, so why not head up to, say, oh, Yellowknife? Those houses are very well insulated. Ought to serve you just fine. [Big Grin]

[ROFL]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps wearing a turtleneck under your shirt and wearing a hat will make you feel warmer. That's what we do.
[Frown] <--KoM is blue with cold

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I sympathize, KoM. My office is freezing!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10219201/site/newsweek/

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
SECRET MESSAGE FROM THE ALASKAN TO THE NORWEGIAN:

[Just be cool about it, man. You're letting out our secret. Do you want the warm-dwellers to know that we Northfolk don't actually have a supernaturally high tolerance for low temperatures? Their belief that we actually like it when it's really cold is the very basis of our mystique!]

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
KoM, have you tried a sincere appeal to the almighty? Pehaps a heartfelt prayer would solve your dilemma.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
We haven't lit our heater yet because we're afraid to-- the woman above us almost died from carbon monoxide poisoning last winter from her heater-- her kids would have died if they'd been home-- and the guys the landlord got to "fix" it weren't certified, and so when the gas company came out and checked they said it was still leaking carbon monoxide, but the landlord wouldn't get anyone else out to look at it. We're worried about ours, and are going to have to have the gas company come check it before we turn it on.

As a result, we're all getting a bit cold.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Cold here too and I live in Louisiana. Its actually about 10 degrees colder inside than it is outside.

I live in an apartment in a converted historic home. I don't use my space heater cause I'm afraid to kill my parrot and my room doesn't have a door to hold in the heat anyway. I'm wearing socks and shoes, two pairs of pj pants, a long-sleeve shirt, a sweat-shirt, and my letter jacket.

I went and bought a ton of heavy-fabric to cover the windows and the front door which has huge gaps in the framing (my room is the front living room). I've got a heated mattress pad so I can sleep but it sure is hard to get out of bed in the morning.

Glenn, how much do those window-plastic things cost? I might pick some up while I'm home for Christmas. And do they damage the windows or anything, I'd hate to pay my landlord to screwing up the windows since we're gonna move in May.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on the size of the window. I think the ones I bought for the triple picture window were $9.

No they won't screw up the windows, they tape to the inside window molding frame. The only damage they can do is pulling the paint off when the tape is removed.

Ok, I went and found the boxes. The ones I have right now are "Frost King" not 3M. The big one is 210" x 62" The little one is 62" x 42."

This is the only one I can find online

These seem more expensive than I remember.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Well, with my new extension cord I can move the computer closer to the heater; and the sheets over the sindows seem to be helping; so it's not so bad now. Also, empty milk cartons filled with steaming hot water make quite efficient foot warmers.
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
So do socks.

What are you wearing?

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shanna:
I don't use my space heater cause I'm afraid to kill my parrot...I'm wearing socks and shoes, two pairs of pj pants, a long-sleeve shirt, a sweat-shirt, and my letter jacket.

Is it OK for the parrot to be so chilly, or did you bundle up the little birdie, too?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

My parrot is a quaker which is actually one of the hardiest species. She has a rope-tunnel-bed that she cozies down in when she gets cold or just wants a nap. I went and ordered a new fleece bed for her, which she loves, so much that we had to throw her old one out cause she would never leave it to socialize.

My mother is looking for a bird-safe space heater (one without teflon-coated parts) so we're just holding out these two weeks before we head home for the holidays.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I now enjoy ridiculing my Louisiana and Florida friends who think it's "so cold" when it's fifty.

Then again, I also set my a/c to about 55 when I'm down South and actually have control of such things. I like my bedroom to be cold enough for me to wear a sweatshirt to bed or bury myself in blankets or cuddle without waking up in the middle of the night from being too warm.

Mostly, I just require being wrapped in something while I sleep, and I also like having cold air to breathe.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

50 is cold! haha

I remember talking to a student who lived up north during holidays and she said that it felt colder in the South because we have more humidity. More moisture in the air makes it feel colder than a dry-cold, or something.

It works both ways. My cousins in Missouri complain about the heat when it gets to me 85 degrees. I grew up in Houston where it would be 110 degrees, ridiculously humid, smoggy, and I'd wearing long jeans and a letter jacket.

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
50 is nice. [Frown] I wish it were 50 here and not like 20-something.

I'm originally from Tampa, and I wear jeans year-round. I only own one pair of shorts and three skirts, two of which are really only nighttime "going out" wear. Also, for some reason, I can't stand going to class with my legs showing.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.