FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mormon Question (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Mormon Question
Silent E
Member # 8840

- posted      Profile for Silent E   Email Silent E         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I can turn a man into a mane. I can turn a can into a cane. But my friend Sam stayed just the same.
Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*reads, is puzzled*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
kat, it's the power of the "silent E"
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
It makes san go in sane
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
It makes old Pop into the Pope.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silent E
Member # 8840

I get a kick out of puzzling kat. And then I turn her into Kate.
Posts: 202 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

*sigh* It makes an edit go unrecorded as well.

<-- passed kindergarten

Added: Wow, who are you?

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silent E
Member # 8840

I'll tell you, but not here.
katharina
Member # 827

Meet me in the teachers' lounge in ten minutes. (You can sneak in, right? A friend will keep watch.)
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
You're not going to tell her here?
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I thought it might be AFR. Unless he acquired an unexpected wrinkle in his psychological profile, I guess it isn't.
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
You crazy kids and your tangential randomness. [Razz]
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

We can make her into here!

We can make pi into pie!

We can stare at a star.

We can mar the mare! (although PETA might get made mad)

Silent E
Member # 8840

I can get back on track.

So, what were we talking about again?

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

We can add $10,000 to housing values too, if your development goes from <something> Point to <something> Pointe!
Silent E
Member # 8840

Dude (<--note the E), I'm even more powerful than I thought.
katharina
Member # 827

...Pat?
Silent E
Member # 8840

Sorry, I don't pat women who are not my wife.
katharina
Member # 827

Try it with me and you'd lose a limb.
tern
Member # 7429

- posted      Profile for tern   Email tern         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Umm, buddy? Just a suggestion, having lived in your area: stay away from the Garland 3rd ward (misleadingly named, most of it is in Richardson.) My in-laws are in it, but the whole ward has a weird feeling to it. You're better off in the Richardson 2nd (probably closer anyway) or the Garland 4th (further away, but really really wonderful)-- or just stick with another stake altogether (most of the ones in the area are overall lovely. Just the Richardson stake that has a couple really "off" wards.)

Personally, I had a really, really bad experience in the Richardson 2nd Ward. Of course, that was eleven years ago, so I'm sure things have changed since then. I would recommend the Dallas 11th Ward because singles wards are so much more fun.

Having said all that, what I find amusing about this whole discussion is that a lot of people are acting as if Pfresh has already made the decision to convert, when mere interest in studying has been expressed. Don't make it more into what it isn't. Wait until Pfresh thinks about baptizing, and then discuss that.

Aside from that, if you're really bored at UTD (gosh, I can't imagine why ;P) then LDS singles wards have a lot of activities.

Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I'm just looking into it first, gathering information. If I like the sound of things and it feels right, then I'll trying going and such. One step at a time and all that.

And I'm glad someone understand my boredom at UTD. All I hear from people is "Oh, you can be social. Join a frat" and that's not me. *shrugs* Oh well. Are LDS singles wards' activities restricted to members or would they welcome non-members like me (of course this all future talk for next semester and what not)?

Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Personally, I had a really, really bad experience in the Richardson 2nd Ward. Of course, that was eleven years ago, so I'm sure things have changed since then. I would recommend the Dallas 11th Ward because singles wards are so much more fun.

Oh, totally go for the singles wards, but I'm just saying, stay AWAY from G3. R2 has been divided since then into R2 and D4 and boundaries have changed, and most of the really weird people ended up in D4. Not that R2 doesn't still have its share of nutters (although there have also been a lot of move in/outs in both wards.) Like I said, G4 is WONDERFUL. I never visited D11, but I heard that it's a really nice singles ward, and I sang in the stake choir with a few people in it (when we were in R2, we also shared the building with them.) And they all seemed awesome. So totally, I recommend D11. [Smile] And they would LOVE to have visitors at social events, although it'll be easier on you if you make a friend (or at least acquaintance) who you can be "with" when you go to them.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silent E
Member # 8840

I was in one of the Garland wards many, many moons ago. I think it was the First, but in fact there may have only been one at the time.
pfresh85
Member # 8085

And how do I go about making this friend/acquaintance?
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Show up at church at the D11 ward, and/or find someone who knows someone and get them to introduce you. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Interesting. I'll keep that in mind.
tern
Member # 7429

- posted      Profile for tern   Email tern         Edit/Delete Post 
They're always happy to have visitors at the singles wards. I actually had a nonmember girlfriend that I met at a singles ward activity.

How do you go about making the friend? Er, that's a good one...but it's possible that there are members at UTD (there were four, including myself, when I was there) and if the ward could vector you to one, I'm sure that if you said you were interested in the Church, they'd be willing to help you with the social stuff. That's a lot of ifs, but it's reasonable ifs...

I roomed with guys from all three frats at UTD (the three that were there at the time)...Kappa Sig was the guys who all got drunk and puked. ZBT was the muscle and marijuana frat (my roommate was one of their drug dealers) and Chi Phi was the hardcore drinking frat. Out of the three, I liked Chi Phi the best and hung out with them a lot - but that's because our apartment was the Chi Phi headquarters. From what I saw, frats are pretty much a way to get drunk a lot and have sex with ugly chicks. That's crude...but that's how it was. So if you're looking for something more, the singles ward is a good way to go.

Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Yeah. One of my roommates last year was Kappa Sig. He got drunk and had sex nightly (I know for a fact unfortunately). I'm not a drinking person though (for various reasons), and I am looking for more than just sex. So yeah, a singles ward might be a good idea.
Silent E
Member # 8840

pf:"I am looking for more than just sex. So yeah, a singles ward might be a good idea."

That's not quite the way it works.

pfresh85
Member # 8085

Wait, what are you saying? I'm trying to figure out if I implied something that I didn't mean to (or if there is something in there to be read into).
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by tern:
ZBT was the muscle and marijuana frat (my roommate was one of their drug dealers) and Chi Phi was the hardcore drinking frat.

I used to shoot pool with some of the ZBT guys from Tulane, and I went to one of their parties once. They were really nice guys. But from what I understand, they do have a reputation for being the marijuana frat.

/random.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
pfresh, I think the concern is that your previous post made it sound like you're looking into the church just to meet girls.

If you know that a particular church fits your beliefs, then it can be a good place to meet people (including dating prospects) who share those beliefs. But it's a bad idea to shape your beliefs based on which church has the best dating prospects.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Oh, that's not what I was really intending to say. I'm sorry if it came off like that. I'm looking at church for beliefs that match my own. The looking for dates and stuff wouldn't come until after I found the right church. Again, I'm sorry if it seemed like I was saying I was looking at the church just to meet girls.
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Update: I have a meeting set up with the missionaries for 1PM Wednesday. It shouldn't be too long (I say this because I explained to them I have something going on at 3PM that day, so it can't be terribly long). I'm looking forward to it, even just to get information from them.
katharina
Member # 827

I'm glad you got a hold of them. [Smile]

It should be about an hour. That's how long we planned most of our appointments for.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Be sure to let them know you aren't looking to start dating right away.

[Big Grin]

(I really am JUST KIDDING!)

I hope it's a good experience for you.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

And beware the candy!

I hear they lure you in with candy.

pfresh85
Member # 8085

*ears perk up* Oooh...candy....*drools* [Razz]
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Be careful, I hear if they get you to take the candy they'll "hit you over the head and whisk you off to a programming session". [Wink]
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes, there is candy involved. Really.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Well if they offer me candy, I will offer them candy in return. My apartment has candy for guests. It will be a mutual battle of the candy. [Razz]
Minerva
Member # 2991

- posted      Profile for Minerva           Edit/Delete Post 
I will offer a little unsolicited advice. All of this is anecdotal. I am a Jew, 26 years old, live on my own.

I was approached by some Mormon missionaries while I was waiting for a friend. I had to stand there anyway, so I figured I might as well talk to them. It was two men, and they were very interesting. We talked about Isiah and a little about how they felt that they were a return to an early Christianity. They seemed sorta like the "Karaite" Christians, I was intrigued, and I agreed to meet with them again the following week. I even read about 15 pages of the Book of Mormon that they requested that I read. I made it extremely clear that I had no intention of converting.

The next week, I met with them. They brought two "sister missionaries" with them so I could have someone come to my home. The women were really sweet, but not very well educated in theology. To the point that it was a little shocking.

I met with the women once more (in public), when a member happened to happen by. The member, a new convert, was much more able to answer my questions. He recommended that I go to something called Institute, a general interest class on Wednesday nights at their church. I haven't, so I can't tell you what it's like, but it might be something that you would be interested in.

After these three meetings, I discovered that the Mormons beliefs were not what I thought. And no matter how many times that I told them that I had no interest in converting (there are even several members of my family that died rather than be baptised).

Anyway, I told the women that I was really not interested, but that I would continue talking to the member if I had any further questions. For about a month later, they would call me twice a week, asking me if I had read more of the Book of Mormon (I had not). I tried to me polite and tell them that I didn't have time now. They finally got to the point where they showed up at my home unannounced and became extremely disrespectful of my beliefs.

I have no idea whether my experience was typical.

Posts: 289 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, dear, Minerva, I'm sorry. You had some unusually agressive missionaries, sounds like. They're not supposed to do that. (((hugs)))
katharina
Member # 827

No, that doesn't sound typical at all. We didn't bother people who said no. Their job is to find those who are seeking.
pfresh85
Member # 8085

My hope is that such a thing wouldn't happen with me, Minerva. I hope that after I research, if I find out it's not the right thing for me, that they will respect my decision and not hound me about it later. Who knows though. We'll see how it goes.
Minerva
Member # 2991

We had several conversations like this:
Them: We see something in your spirit and pray that you join the church in our lifetime.
Me: Umm...ok...but, really, I'm not interested. I'll call you if I'm interested.

-or-

Them: You aren't interested because you haven't been reading enough of the Book of Mormon. You need to read it and pray about whether it is true.
Me: I did pray.
Them: No, not to the G-d of your church. To the Holy Spirit.

They also couldn't tell me whether they believed in one G-d or multiple G-ds. I might have been willing to talk with the male (brother?) missionaries again. However, I was afraid that it would start this cycle over again. Also, the men seemed pretty eager to pass me off to the women, so I wouldn't want to waste their time.

I'm thinking that I might stop by the Institute one Wednesday and see if I can get some of my questions answered. It's my impression that the members have fewer restrictions on what they are able to discuss than the missionaries.

Posts: 289 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I really don't think that is going to happen - I've never heard of it happening, and it is very different from most people's experiences with the missionaries. I'm sorry it happened to you.
quote:
Them: You aren't interested because you haven't been reading enough of the Book of Mormon. You need to read it and pray about whether it is true.

This is horrifying. It's just weird. I'm thinking there was some miscommunication going around.
Minerva
Member # 2991

Yeah, that was, of course, our last conversation.

They simply weren't able to answer my questions (and thought Jews went to Church).

The male missionaries were excellent. As was the member that I met. I just want to reiterate that.

katharina
Member # 827

Aw, I feel kind of bad for everyone in that conversation. Depending on where they were from, they may have never encountered a Jew before their missions. I'm sure they were flustered.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I got something similar myself. When I mentioned that I had prayed on the issue and had not received the same message, they were quite certain that I must not have prayed correctly.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.