FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mormon Question (Page 7)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Mormon Question
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with all of the above - this is too important to do without knowing you are doing it with all your heart and that it is the right thing.

If you are looking for a social outlet in the meantime, there is a definite social scene in Richardson with the D11 ward. I promise no one will turn a water polo game into a surreptitious baptism. [Wink] It's the ward I went to when I first moved to Dallas, and it was very welcoming and comforting for me.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with cheiros de ender. I think you should take the missionary discussions but take things slow. Do NOT get baptized unless you believe the things you are being taught wholeheartedly. The thing about being Mormon is you kind of have to jump in all the way--it takes a lot of time and effort to be a good Mormon, not just the three-hour meetings on Sundays. Baptism is a big committment in any religion, and you shouldn't decide to do it unless you're willing to accept what comes after.

But at the same time, I think it would be a good idea to start attending a single adult ward, as well as their social activities. You say you are isolated and depressed, and I think the sort of people you meet in such a group could become the friends you're looking for. You don't have to join to enjoy people's company. I would say that you could continue being friends with Mormons indefinitely without joining the church, though you'd have to put up with missionaries pestering you all the time. [Smile]

I think that once you are feeling less depressed and anxious and more secure, you would be more capable of making doctrinal decisions anyway.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by cheiros do ender:
Interesting Karl, why exactly did you leave the Church.

My experience with the Church is complex. My short answer is that I never received what I believe to be a witness of the truth of anything in relation to the existence of God or existence of "His" church on Earth. I was born a Mormon and my social integration in the Church was thorough enough to carry me through a mission and shortly beyond that. But when push came to shove I found what faith I had to be an illusion.

I'm also gay. I only mention this because others might consider that a pertinent fact for a third party to evaluate my opinion of the church. Personally, I think that acted as a catalyst rather than a cause in my leaving the church. I've talked about that elsewhere (I think in one of my landmark posts), if you're really interested. Or you can email me privately.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
pH-

How can you tell if someone's had a blatant personality change? All we know about others is by observing their actions. I believe your argument is that the actions pfresh pointed out are less indicative of a person's personality than other actions, and I'm wondering what you think those other actions are?

For instance, if a friend was previously heterosexual and then became homosexual would that indicate a blatant personality change? If a person was an atheist and then became a theist? Started telling racist jokes? Changed jobs?

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:

It sounds like you expect to much out of people. They're not perfect, and no matter how much they claim they'll never drink/smoke/have sex, most people try all three at some point in their life. If you have a friend who isn't gonna have sex, then they have sex it doesn't make them a fundamentally different person. Maybe it was a lapse in judgement, or maybe they changed their mind about how important it was to them. Who knows?

The difference is if it was a lapse in judgment or something, then they would go back. Most of the time once they start they don't go back. I understand that some people change their minds about how important certain things are to them. I'm not denying people the right to change their minds by any means. I'm just saying I feel like a lot of our common ground was dropped out with that change. I'm still friends with all these people (the ones who smoke, the ones who drink, the ones who have sex), but I just don't feel like I fit in with their groups as well as I did before.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh okay, that's fair enough. I myself have actually received what I believe to be a witness of the truth. I don't know if that's meant to happen for non-members but whatever. It's the other teachings, recent revelations and such that I'm not as sure about still. So I feel a powerful feeling inside the ward and when reading the Book of Mormon, but for me it's a personal thing. I don't mind if I never get baptised. I'm certainly not going to without another witness, and that won't be until I'm over 18, if at all, anyway.

I'm sorry that the church has such a stance on homosexuality.I know from growing up a catholicfor a time that what the Pope preached the Priests didn't always pass on, eg regarding birth control and homosexuality. I guess Latter-day Saints are a bit more tight-knit in the respect that what's said higher up is more important that lower down. A shame really, but I'm optomistic that the little peeves I have about to the church will die down a little in my lifetime.

I don't have time to talk privately, sorry, but I'd be grateful for a link to that landmark thread of yours.

Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
And as long as you're not doing something with them that involves drinking, smoking, or sex I guess I don't see why.

You had other things in common beyond your views on those topics, right? Focus on those things.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Link for cheiros do ender
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

quote:
Originally posted by El JT de Spang:
And as long as you're not doing something with them that involves drinking, smoking, or sex I guess I don't see why.

You had other things in common beyond your views on those topics, right? Focus on those things.

Well the problem there is even those other things in common are fading away over time. Most of my friends were made in school in gifted/honors classes. So on top of shared beliefs, we had sort of a shared experience of these classes (most of which we made fun of). Since we all go to different schools now though, the shared stuff is all in the past. Most of my conversations with friends are brief, seeing what the other is up to and how they are enjoying school. It's a shame, I know, but that's sort of how it goes.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that is sad. A lot of my friends and I have drifted apart, but that's normal.

And drifting is regrettable, but a lot less so than boycotting people because they changed their mind about some things. That's all I want to point out.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Well I never said I was boycotting them. We've all drifted away (as you said) and the change in those issue just sort of made the drift more significant (sort of like a speed boat vs a canoe).

I know that the argument could be made though that "Well you should have made more friends at UTD by now," but I really am believing more and more each day that UTD is an extension (for the most part) of local high schools in this area (with the addition of frats and sororities thrown into the mix). If I was the only person who held this view about my school, I could admit I was wrong if things were pointed out differently. I've met a few other people around here though that share the same view. So yeah, that's all I really have to say about that.

katharina
Member # 827

I agree about UTD - most of the students live at home and are from Dallas. That works great for those who live at home and are from Dallas, but it is harder to make friends that way.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

Yeah, I know. Boycotting is the impression I got, the one that I was arguing against. You hadn't mentioned the drifting thing before.

Most colleges are extensions of high school, though. It makes it tough for an outsider to find his niche, but it can still be done. The guys I hung out with in college had been friends since grade school. It took me a while to break in, until I'd had a bunch of classes with them, but it was worth it.

katharina
Member # 827

On the college tangent, I think that's part of why I loved mine so much. It was in a small college town an hour away from the city, so 95% of the students were not local. It made it much easier to make friends.

I realize that might be tacky to say in a thread where the opposite is being lamented. It didn't prepare me for non-college life, though, when I moved to a place where the sociality wasn't nearly as easy to aquire. It takes a lot more work to make friends in a place where people have ties already. I think everyone has to learn how to do it - I just didn't have to until I was 25.

pfresh85
Member # 8085

Well see, I'm trying that to some extent. Amanecer and Rico are in a group of sorts (and I believe it extends from high school), and I try and get involved with them. I still feel totally like the outsider though. I try though, I really do. I don't want to give the impression that I'm just sitting here complaining and not doing anything. I am trying to find social niches to fit into, but I'm just not having much success.
katharina
Member # 827

I believe you. I'm sorry - that wasn't meant as a lecture at all. More like a musing. I'm proud of you for taking action. [Smile] Actually, Hatrack helped me then tremendously. It's part of why I love this board. [Smile]
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Well I wasn't speaking specifically to you katharina. It was more of a general thing.

Case in point though of me trying, since I'm a history major, I've applied to the History Honor Society (which I believe is also a Greek group of some kind). So far though, I've received no response either way.

cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
Pfresh,

I forgot to mention before: I'm surprised the best place you can find people with these views is a Church. It's not really the case that the majority of Mormons havn't tried drugs or broken a major rule at some point. We learn as we live. No-one's perfect and, IMO, you're not likely to actually find a large group of people who share your beliefs in ANY demographic.

One suggestion I have is to find a physically demanding activity you might be interested in (eg. dancing, matial arts, gymnastics, cadets, etc). I do four different types of dancing (Samba, Capoeira, Tap and Acro), Capoeira as a martial art and navy cadets. They all seem to discourage disrespecting the body, especially in regard to drug use and drinking, and not for a spiritual reason, but simply to keep in shape. And they're all great social outlets. But that's just from my experience. I don't know if it's somehow different where you live?

So I have to wonder, is your interest in the church more a physical, mental, emotional or spiritual issue for you. If spiritual, then you definitely shoulldn't let your parents stand in your way, but if it's one of the others there are plenty of alternatives.

Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

I find your surprise surprising. Maybe I just have a naive view. I expect people in church (and in particular in a chuch I view as more serious) to be a little more serious about these things. I understand that everyone makes mistakes and that no one is perfect (in fact I deal with an issue of being too harsh on myself and holding myself to too high a standard). I guess, I don't know, I just expect the odds to be better in a church group than in some other group (and if you want to know why I speak in terms of odds, it's because my mind totally works on mathematics so I can't help but think of probabilities and odds and what not).

As for your question, I'd say it's some connection of mental, emotional, and spiritual.

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SenojRetep:
pH-

How can you tell if someone's had a blatant personality change? All we know about others is by observing their actions. I believe your argument is that the actions pfresh pointed out are less indicative of a person's personality than other actions, and I'm wondering what you think those other actions are?

For instance, if a friend was previously heterosexual and then became homosexual would that indicate a blatant personality change? If a person was an atheist and then became a theist? Started telling racist jokes? Changed jobs?

Let's see. I'm not quite sure how to express this in words. Well, to use a personal example, a group of the girls from my floor freshman year were into casual sex. I, on the other hand, was totally not into sex at all. However, I still went out with these girls on a regular basis and considered them my friends.

When they started having casual UNPROTECTED sex and regularly having to rush to find a morning after pill because they'd slept with men they didn't even like as PEOPLE, then I decided it was time to cut back on how friendly I was with them. There were a number of other factors involved, but that was one of them.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks pH. I agree it's hard to put into words.

Do you think that, in the case of this example, the girls would have agreed that their personality had changed. Or would they have said, "I haven't changed who I am; I'm just acting a little differently and it's no big deal."

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's not really the case that the majority of Mormons havn't tried drugs or broken a major rule at some point.
Of course we all break the rules. The difference is that at least active church members acknowledge and try to live by the same rules as Pfresh. They're more likely to realize they made a mistake and try to go back to their standards, rather than ignore those standards and make the "mistakes" a way of life.

Not all of them, of course, but the "odds" are better. [Smile]

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Yeah, that was what I was trying to say JennaDean. It seems to be the odds are better there. Although I can't be positive as I've never been in that church before. Someone who is Mormon would have to speak up about that.
katharina
Member # 827

People do all things everywhere, but it is much harder to find someone at church who does drink than the opposite.
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

Yeah but that's like stereotyping in a way, which is really annoying. It's not like mormons hang out with more fellow mormons than non-mormons (unless they live i Utah I guess <grin>).

My point is, if we're talking about a moral foundation, you can get that other places as well. I'm not saying don't go to church, I'm just commenting that I was surprised you felt this was so and I could only assume your cmplete reason for wanting to go to church needs a little more elaboration than what I've read so far.

I wouldn't recommend going to church because it's morally a better, or a lot better than somewhere else.

Anyway, that's all I'm going to say on the matter since I'm starting to ramble.

By the way Karl, thanks for the link. That was, I can easily say, the most amazing autobiographical story I've ever read. I only hope I one day might be so courageous as to post a thread here as personally open as that.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's not like mormons hang out with more fellow mormons than non-mormons (unless they live i Utah I guess <grin>).
Well, actually... a lot of Mormons do.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to kill KarlEd so I can steal his brain and write things that I want to say the way he can.

I struggled a while last night trying to get what you said into a post, Karl, and couldn't get it right. Thanks for saying what needed to be said.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Actually, talking to the missionaries, I didn't even bring up the drinking/smoking/sex stuff. I instead discussed mostly spiritual and historical stuff. Interesting time I say. They did try and wrangle my roommate in at the end (I'm not sure if he was offended or not).
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

quote:
Originally posted by pfresh85:
Interesting time I say.

Can you expound on that at all? Or not, I'm just being curious as to your overall impression.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, pfresh85, I totally agree with you that one of the greatest blessings of the church is the privilege of membership in a community of people who hold to very high ideals.

Maybe the experience is different for people who've grown up in the church vs. converts. One reason for that might be that people who've grown up with this wonderful blessing take it somewhat for granted, and don't quite realize what life outside the church can be like. The contrast for me is very sharp.

For instance, at the swimming pool of the apartment where I lived a few years back, the children had a tendency to flock around me. Sometimes I have this pied piper thing that gets going, I'm not sure why. But more than once, the parents of children who had particularly taken to me would call them over, speak to them in whispers, and then the child, sad and ashamed, would stay away from me thereafter, though still casting longing glances at the group around me.

In contrast, in the church a sister I barely knew asked me to watch her 3 year old son one Saturday while she worked. He was a sweet boy and we had a fun day. His mom was grateful and kind. Children in the church tend to freely approach church members and interact with them.

I could cite many more examples of similar blessings.

Certainly I'm not trying to say that LDS aren't ordinary humans with human failings. Just that the blessings of fellowship with the faithful are indeed great, and one of the things I'm most grateful for is the opportunity to be a member of a community of people who mostly don't have base or self-serving motives for the things they do, and who don't make the automatic assumption that you do either.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Thanks pH. I agree it's hard to put into words.

Do you think that, in the case of this example, the girls would have agreed that their personality had changed. Or would they have said, "I haven't changed who I am; I'm just acting a little differently and it's no big deal."

I really don't know, as I don't speak to them so much anymore. But to me, not having sex vs. having sex doesn't necessarily constitute a personality change. But I also put a huge emphasis on how much respect I perceive that people have for those around them, and I think that one can drink/smoke/do drugs, etc. while still having a high regard for his/her peers.

It's one thing to smoke pot. I think marijuana is pretty stupid, but even if I'm offered a hit, I'm not offended, and I don't feel pressured. To me, those people are offering me something the same way I'd offer a friend a drink if I was mixing one or some food if I was cooking. I'd prefer they didn't do it while I was around because I don't like the smell, but if they do, it's not really a deal-breaker, friendship-wise, for me.

Smoking pot in my CAR, however, is an easy way to be taken off my friends list. To me, that's a blatant disregard for my wishes and my well-being.

Examples are easier to explain. [Razz] Sorry.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
*facepalm*
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

quote:
Can you expound on that at all? Or not, I'm just being curious as to your overall impression.

Can and will. Here's a detail description of what went down with the missionaries. First they call me and say they may be late as they are somewhat lost. So I give them directions and say it's fine that they'll be late. The missionaries arrive at roughly 1:05.

I take the missionaries back to my room, as my roommate is playing video games in the living room and I know for a fact he's a devout member of the Church of Christ (so I wasn't sure he'd feel about having Mormon missionaries talking nearby).

I told them up front that I had a few questions and stuff, based partly on stuff I had found while researching and partly on what they asked me to read. First they wanted us to pray though, so we did. Then they listened to my questions, at times giving answers and at other times being really vague (almost like the real answer was some kind of secret).

A lot of my questions (but in particular the question about "How do you hear God? It always seems like silence to me") were sort of written off to some extent. It was almost like they said I wasn't praying in the right manner or wasn't asking God the right questions. I didn't take any offense to this or anything; it just seemed to an easy way to sort of side step the question.

They never did get to their first lesson, although they recommended I call them in the future so that we can go through all four (I think they said four) lessons. In the end, they were out of here by 2PM. They did try and talk to my roommate and gave him the same Joseph Smith pamphlet they gave me.

As I said, it was interesting. They answered some of the questions I had, but left me feeling fairly vague about others. So yeah, there you go. My experience with the missionaries. If there are any questions about it, I'll gladly answer them (assuming I have access to my computer at the time).

pH
Member # 1350

Do you think you'll see them again, freshy?

-pH

pfresh85
Member # 8085

Not sure. I think I need to get my head together and on straight in other regards before I start looking any further. I'd hate to make a big decision for the wrong reason.
tern
Member # 7429

- posted      Profile for tern   Email tern         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How do you hear God? It always seems like silence to me
Doctrine & Covenants ("D&C") Section 9, verses 8 and 9

D&C 8:1-2

D&C 6:23

Couple scriptures that might help. Generally, when the Holy Ghost speaks to you, it is very quiet. You know, you're probably not going to get a manifestation of God the Father and the Son. For me at least, it's a very peaceful feeling, which I can identify because I rarely feel that way. [Smile] Often, this peaceful feeling can be mistaken for silence. With practice, it becomes easier to identify.

Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

To me the silence isn't like a peaceful one. It feels more like being ignored. *shrugs* Could just be me though.
KarlEd
Member # 571

Or with practice you become more and more able to induce a peaceful state. [Dont Know]

For a God who supposedly wants His children to follow a very narrow path, he's come up with a horribly ambiguous way for them to know what path that is. It all seems so very John Edwards to me.

katharina
Member # 827

Maybe that's the leap of faith part. I don't understand everything, but if you feel that he's there and that he's in charge, then you can trust in that and that the rest of wisdom comes later, in pieces. I don't know why it works that way, but I do know that it works. I trust the Lord knows what he's doing.
Kent
Member # 7850

- posted      Profile for Kent   Email Kent         Edit/Delete Post 
pfresh, when you get back to school I would highly suggest you find out about Institute; it is a place where LDS single adults get together and learn about scriptures, have dances and other get togethers, and other stuff. I believe you will probrably find it more fun than just meeting with missionaries. I also think that having friends that are members will give you more straight up answers to questions than missionaries will (having been a missionary myself, I know how limited missionaries' experiences can be, many have a hard time relating to others' lack of spiritual experiences since for them it is often a given and they have had such experiences since childhood).
Posts: 231 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Well as I said, I think I need to get my head on straight before I do anything. Maybe when that's all worked out, I'll try something like that.
katharina
Member # 827

Good luck with everything. [Smile]
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Pfresh, did you ever get my my last email?
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

The one with your responses to my responses/questions? Yeah, I got that one. If it's another one, I guess not.
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Alright [Smile] I just didn't get a response to the latest email, and wanted to make sure you'd gotten it.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

Sorry, Taalcon. Apparently I have a problem with responding back to e-mails or something (as seen by the fact that my appointment with my psychologist got moved back an hour because I didn't e-mail him back confirming what he had said). *shrugs* Oh well. [Smile]
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.