FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Where are our Soldier Hero's? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Where are our Soldier Hero's?
tern
Member # 7429

- posted      Profile for tern   Email tern         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd figure that the difference between these two things would be very important for someone who is so adamantly a Christian. Odd that.
quote:
I have noticed that for some people, the little line in one's brain that makes the distinction between "worth dying for" and "worth killing for" does not seem to exist.
In either situation, someone is dying, and someone is killing. The threshold requirements of each are the same. Why should I hold any other person's life more sacred than my own? I hold all human life sacred - but not to the extent that life is the most sacred things.

Tom, of course I see them as being different, otherwise I would have not listed them separately. Actually, in many respects, killing for something is far more efficient than dying for it. I can only die to protect my family once. But I can kill a lot of people who threaten my family if needs must.

What things are worth dying for? What things are worth killing for? Where do they diverge, in practical terms?

Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tern
Member # 7429

To clarify, I should add that implicit in "worth dying for" and "worth killing for" are "in order to protect/preserve".

I would be willing to kill or die in order to protect my wife, but if she were to order me to kill someone who is not a threat, I would not be willing.

Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
The threshold for each are not the same. The threshold for killing someone else may be low, especially for sociopaths. After all, pulling a trigger and ending another's life cost's you, personally, little. Fanatics are good at saying "our cause is worth your life."

The threshold for giving your life, willingly, is higher. Even the threshold for risking your own life is much higher than that of risking another. As you point out, your life is more prescious to you--you only get one. While other lifes have a different value depending on your morality. (You hold them in higher regard than the terrorists you are fighting).

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tern
Member # 7429

My thresholds are the same - I will willingly kill or die only to protect the same set of things. I am not a fanatic nor a sociopath (at least, I hope not). My causes are these:

Family - wife, children, protection thereof.
Liberty - from slavery.
Religion - freedom to practice, insomuch that it does not remove any other person's freedom to practice.
Nation - preservation thereof as a single entity under the Constitution.

Any of these I would either die to protect or kill to protect as appropriate. But the bar is the same - are these things in danger, and would loss of life be necessary to protect?

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
For you they are the same. For others, it is not so.

That makes you a good guy.

How about innocent lives?

You know that Sheik Ahmed will force you to convert to Islam. You can shoot him. Fine.

But would you blow up a bus full of people on the chance that it might kill him?

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

To clarify, I should add that implicit in "worth dying for" and "worth killing for" are "in order to protect/preserve".

I would be willing to kill or die in order to protect my wife, but if she were to order me to kill someone who is not a threat, I would not be willing.

You miss out on the "preserve" part, though. Because what if your wife told you she'd divorce you if you didn't kill someone for her? The "preserve" part of that decision, then, becomes the preservation of the marriage -- or so it might first appear.

You can argue that a marriage worth preserving shouldn't require assassinations, or that there should be other ways to preserve a marriage without killing. I agree. But, then, I make the argument that MANY things that people are willing to kill for can be preserved in other ways.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.