FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Three Children's Books I'm Trying to Remember the Titles of

Author Topic: Three Children's Books I'm Trying to Remember the Titles of
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
All of these are chapter books, the first two of which have a younger intended audience than the third, I think. I can't remember either the titles or the authors of any of them, but they're all three stories that I loved as a kid, and would like to take a look at as an adult.

The first involved a boy who was given a potion which caused him to sprout big, angel-type wings when a droplet of the fluid was placed on each shoulder blade.

The second involved a boy who fed his pet seal (I think) some breakfast cereal that caused the seal to grow to mammoth proportions. I believe that the breakfast cereal contained some chemical that caused the seal to grow, and that the amount of the chemical in that batch of cereal was a mistake on the manufacturer's part. The seal required the cereal to survive, and the boy bought up all of the tainted batch that he could. Eventually he ran out, and the seal died.

The third involved a girl who was the daughter of an archaeologist in Britian. She took a grail from a barrow her father was excavating, and drank from it, I believe. As a result of this, an expanding circle of death began expanding, with the barrow as its center. I remember the grass dying as the circle expanded, but not much else.

Anybody else ever read any of these? If you can remember the titles or authors' names, I'd love to hear them.

[ November 29, 2005, 07:14 AM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember the first book. He wanted to fly, right? But his brothers made fun of him.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a vague memory of the second book, but no idea what it is.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I don't remember him having brothers, but that doesn't mean anything--my memory of the book is pretty sketchy. My main memory of it is him trying to apply the potion to his shoulder blades after it had all but run out, and his only generating a single feather when he did so.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. Maybe we're thinking of different books. What I remember is a kid going up to his roof, wanting to fly, somebody (brothers, kids in neighborhood) making fun of him, but then he gets wings at some point and flies away.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a vague memory of something that may or may not be the third book. Maybe when I get back home for Christmas I'll poke around in the library and try to find it. I'll probably look for it anyway, but do you have a time limit on when you need to know?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
All of those sound just bizzare enough to be Roald Dahl stories. Have you checked through his stuff?
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure none are Roald Dahl.

At least, not in any of his short stories (I have the entire collection [Smile] ) and not through any of the books I have read - which, I think, are all of them.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I don't think the one I remember was him. It wasn't absurd enough.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
At first I thought the second one might be George's Marvelous Medicine, but I discarded that when I read the rest of the synopsis. I'm also pretty sure they're not Dahl.

I'm sorry Noemon, I can't help!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
You could try posting to rec.arts.sf.written, on Usenet. The folks there are really good at stuff like this. If you don't do Usenet, I could ask for you.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember the first one too, but I can't think of a single detail beyond what you said.

My mom was a reading teacher for years; I'll call her in a few hours when she wakes up and she'll probably remember.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
First one is called Black and Blue Magic, I think. In fact, I'm sure of it. I've never read the other two, apparently.

[ November 29, 2005, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: Theaca ]

Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Yes! Black and Blue Magic! Thanks Theca!

Lisa, that would be great if you'd do that (although obviously you don't need to ask about the first one, now).

Blacwolve, there's no timetable, really--it's more just idle curiosity on my part than anything else.

Noemon
Member # 1115

Ah, I should have known--Black and Blue Magic is by Zilpha Keatly Snyder. I used to love her stuff when I was little. When I was at my parents' house over Thanksgiving I found my old copy of The Headless Cupid and read it, which is probably what got me thinking about these other three books.
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Loganberry Books has a "stump the bookseller" section. I've found several children's books I was trying to remember there. If you're not having any luck with the questions that have already been answered, I think it costs $.50 [EDIT: $2, actually] to ask your own question. If they have the book in stock or run across it later, that fee can be applied to the purchas price of the book.

I will warn you that the last time I looked there, the site's search function was pretty bad, because it searches entire pages, not individual questions. Still, it's a useful tool.

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theaca
Member # 8325

Alright! What'd I win? [Wink]

Actually I have my own question I was going to post, maybe I'll do it here.

When I was a kid, there was this sad Christmas cartoon I loved. I must have seen it on TV two or three years in a row in the 1970s, then it disappeared. It was about a cute lil tree who had a lot of forest friends and a little girl came by too. But the little girl got sick and couldn't come out anymore, so the tree made the ultimate sacrifice and had his friends chop him down and put him outside her window and got decorated for her to admire. I THINK that's how the story went. I did some big searches for it last year and found several cute tree stories, but none of them matched my memory. Anyone know this one?

Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted everyone to know how great Loganberry Books is. I would've posted it if CW didn't beat me to it. Best $2 I've ever spent. I gave them a two line description of my favorite childhood book (which I really messed up) and someone still knew which one I was talking about.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Congratulations Theca! You win my undying gratitude. A certificate (suitable for framing) to this effect can be yours for a nominal fee. [Wink]

I don't think I've ever seen the cartoon you're talking about, but I'll ask around and see if anyone has heard of it.

[ November 29, 2005, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hm. Maybe we're thinking of different books. What I remember is a kid going up to his roof, wanting to fly, somebody (brothers, kids in neighborhood) making fun of him, but then he gets wings at some point and flies away.
This is, I think, the book "Lifter", which I have read. I haven't read the one Noemon mentioned.

EDIT:
quote:
expanding circle of death began expanding
Oh no! The expanding circle of death! It's... it's expanding!

Hee hee.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

[ROFL]

It's just so unpredictable! I mean, who'd have thought that the expanding circle of death would expand?

Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Theaca, I've seen that cartoon, too, but I have NO idea what it was called or where I might have seen it. Sorry.
Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Theaca:
It was about a cute lil tree who had a lot of forest friends and a little girl came by too. But the little girl got sick and couldn't come out anymore, so the tree made the ultimate sacrifice and had his friends chop him down and put him outside her window and got decorated for her to admire.

Hmmm...altruistic deforestation. Was it perhaps sponsored by the logging industry?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

No luck so far Theca--my mother only had a vague recollection of the cartoon. My Brother is travelling, and my soon-to-be-sister-in-law said:

quote:
This is actually the kind of show my parents would have tried to steer me from, because as morbid little kid I would have never let them throw the Christmas tree out, and as a tiny pyromaniac also would have eventually used tree to set the entire house on fire.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Kind of on the subject, my mom just called to say she bought me the complete Chronicles of Narnia (all volumes in one big softback, in the order Lewis wanted them read).

She rocks.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Are you saying that Lewis wanted Magician's Nephew read first? Or is there actually a set with LW&W first any more?
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I read soemwhere that the new order (Magician's Nephew first) is the order Lewis thought they should be read in.

I think it must have been some sort of weird author's blind spot.

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

^
|

Yep.

Jaiden
Member # 2099

- posted      Profile for Jaiden   Email Jaiden         Edit/Delete Post 
ummm... The Giving Tree has a story about a tree giving himself up for a boy... is that the story you're thinking of?
http://www.banned-width.com/shel/works/giving.html

Posts: 944 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
THE LAST GRAIL KEEPER
by Pamela Smith Hill
Holiday House
ISBN: 0823415740
Ages 11-up
288 pages

Felicity is sure her summer is going to be dull when she accompanies her archaeologist mom on a dig in England. But when a fascinating piece of history (and magic?) is discovered at the site --- the Grail, the cup that gives eternal life --- all bets are off. Felicity learns she has a mysterious connection to the Grail and her summer ---- and life --- are changed forever.

Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I remember that story about the girl and the tree, too! I think it's a book, too. At least, I seem to remember it being a book. Hmmmm.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Jaiden:
ummm... The Giving Tree has a story about a tree giving himself up for a boy... is that the story you're thinking of?
http://www.banned-width.com/shel/works/giving.html

<shudder> That is such a horrid story. Check out The Healthy Giving Tree for a version without the selfish boy and the suicidal tree.
Noemon
Member # 1115

Val, for a second I had my hopes up, but I don't think that that's the book, as it looks like that one's first edition was in 2001, and the one I'm talking about would have have to have been written earlier than 1980 (and probably a bit earlier than that. I can't quite remember when I read it, but I'm thinking it was early grade school rather than late. I have no idea whether it was a new book when I read it.).
Theaca
Member # 8325

I agree, I wouldn't necessarily recommend the cartoon to any kids, unless the ending is less sad than I remember. And I DID have trouble throwing toys and things away because I didn't want them to be hurt. The Velveteen Rabbit might have played a role there, though.

I never understood The Little Matchstick Girl story and why people love to show it to kids. I liked it anyway.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.