FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Portion Distortion - Or, a Possible Answer to the Question of Being Overweight

Author Topic: Portion Distortion - Or, a Possible Answer to the Question of Being Overweight
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
There is another thread asking why folks tend to be heavier now than they were a couple of generations ago. I think there are many reasons - but here is an interesting quiz on how we size our food now, and how we sized it a couple of generations ago:

Portion Distortion Quiz

Some of these are a wee bit disturbing . . .

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nato
Member # 1448

- posted      Profile for Nato   Email Nato         Edit/Delete Post 
I seriously need to eat smaller meals. I don't exercise enough to make up for it, and I haven't been able to make myself exercise more recently.
Posts: 1592 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

You-n-me both.

I am never buying full-size bagels, again. Although, a friend pointed out a possible benefit to the smaller bagels - it will feel like so much more cream cheese when it is all squished onto a smaller bagel. *grin*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Wait you can buy bagels in different sizes?
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
That was a very interesting slide show, Shan. [Smile]

I do like the bigger cups of coffe, though.

But they cost ten times more so I'm probably not getting a bargain or anything. [Smile]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Or, if you're getting them from the grocery store you can just eat half of one. That's what I do for breakfast.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

True - eating just a half is good, de Spang. It sorta taxes my ability to be good, though . . .

and yes, you can find what is now known as the "mini-bagel," kojabu.

Y'know, Beren - when you consider the amount of coffee for the cost compared to the amount of money you'll end up spending on work-out time in the gym to rid yourself of those extra calories . . .

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
*pinches flab*

Hmmm.... methinks you might be right. [Smile]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Don't worry, lots of day hikes up steep mountains help wear that off . . . and smells so much better than the inside of a gym.

*grin*

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I did pretty well on that-- both guessing calories and how long to work them off.

The problem is, day-to-day, I don't care. I have this metabolism that will burn most anything I put in it as long as I'm not completely sedentary and stop eating when I get full. Unfortunately, I know from my family history that that abruptly stops at about age 50 and also can lead to very high cholesterol.

I need to develop healthier habits while I can.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting stuff.

Anyone remember in the movie 'Super-Size Me' when the dude compares portion sizes of stuff at McDonald's -- and in America the portion sizes are much larger than they are in other countries, even though it's the same restaurant?

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
Super-Size Me was great. But ewww when he threw up from eating fast food 3 meals a day. Yuck.

I rarely eat fast food and I always eat only half my meals at restaurants. I like having leftovers.
I'm still slightly overweight though because I almost never excersize.

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been working really hard at the portion size thing. I started cutting restaurant meals in half a long time ago, both for calorie reduction and because when I can actually afford to eat out I need to make it last.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.