FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm so excited that Aeon Flux is finally coming to theatres...

Author Topic: I'm so excited that Aeon Flux is finally coming to theatres...
Speed 2: Cruise Control
Member # 6765

- posted      Profile for Speed 2: Cruise Control   Email Speed 2: Cruise Control         Edit/Delete Post 
...so that I will no longer be troubled by any of the ubiquitous, annoying previews.

I've noticed two things about this movie.

#1: They can't even make the trailers look exciting, which, for an action flick, doth bode ill. If XXX2: State of the Union can pull off an interesting trailer, it can't be that hard.

#2: They're not pre-screening it for critics. Never a good sign.

Does anyone actually plan on seeing this?

Posts: 127 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to see it. Because I love Charlize Theron. She's absolutely gorgeous, and so is her boyfriend. Also, I like almost every movie I see.

Also, was I hallucinating, or was the psychiatrist from Law and Order: SVU in one of the previews?

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
It looked good to me when I saw the trailer.... [Dont Know]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Speed 2: Cruise Control:

#1: They can't even make the trailers look exciting, which, for an action flick, doth bode ill. If XXX2: State of the Union can pull off an interesting trailer, it can't be that hard.

Wow. If you though that XXX2 had an interesting trailer, then Aeon Flux's trailer must be absolutely atrocious.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it looked like it would be an interesting idea for a sci fi novel, but was disappointed they were going to ruin it by just making it a standard action flick (yea, I know it's a game, I don't see why that should have any effect on my bitterness).
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

XXX requires Vin Diesel. Even though Xzibit is amusing. Ice Cube is also amusing. It's just not the same without Mr. Diesel. However, if it had LL Cool J, I also probably would have seen it.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh...the game was based on the TV shorts, man....
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
"You're Pathetic." - Charlize Theron, in the trailer, summing up what I think of the entire trailer.
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foust
Member # 3043

- posted      Profile for Foust   Email Foust         Edit/Delete Post 
I downloaded the entire Aeon Flux animated series from bit torrent.

There's absolutely no way it could translate into a Hollywood movie.

For one, Flux dies a casual yet grusome death in half of the episodes, only to return Kenny-from-South-Park style in the next episode.

Flux and the main villain, Trevor, are constantly having S&M styled sex.

In some of the episodes, Flux dies in the opening scene. The rest is played out by bit characters.

It's a dark, brutal cartoon with an intentional absence of sympathetic characters.

And they turn it into a generic sci-fi action flick... bravo, Hollywood. Bravo.

Posts: 1515 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atlantis
Member # 8788

- posted      Profile for Atlantis   Email Atlantis         Edit/Delete Post 
I absolutely agree with all you, the trailer was just...awful.
Posts: 37 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Trailer looked interesting. It was a trailer. *shrug*

I have to admit that Charlize Theron brings a certain cache to the movie and piques my interest to see it, not because of her looks, but because she seems to try and be in decent films.

I'm probably going to see it at some point, though not necessarily while it's in the theater, but that's not unusual for me. I see very few films in the theater.

I'm pretty easy when it comes to movies. I don't look for them to be any more than they promise to be. For instance, I think all of the Star Wars franchise is just fun entertainment, not even close to the level of adoration those films seem to engender, but I don't think they ever promised to be anything more than fun entertainment that tried to bring put the flavor of the 1930s serial sci-fi radio series on screen. So, I think they are good films. The director did what he wanted to do.

My dissatisfaction really centers on movies like Alexander, or, jesus, what was that terrible movie starring Adam Sandler and the Healthy Choice puddings? I can't remember, but anyway, those movies tried to be something and failed to achieve 'it' for me for various reasons. They promised to be something and failed to deliver.

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really have any expectations of it--haven't seen the cartoons, haven't played the game, wasn't impressed with the trailer--but I'm probably going to see it this weekend with twinky and pod. It's just going to be a background setting, for me, in which to have fun with a couple of people I like.

It's not something that I'd see in the theaters on my own, and is probably something I'd never get around to renting on my own, but I expect to have a good time nonetheless.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Charlize Theron looks very attractive in the previews (and while being dressed as someone with that job might logically be, amazingly), but the movie looks pretty generic otherwise. Or it may be totally incomprehensible, as that's what I thought of the cartoon the few times I saw it.
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to see it, because I loved the cartoon. I doubt it'll be as twisted, but could be fun. Of course, if they actually wanted to be faithful to the cartoon, about halfway through the movie Aeon and Trevor should both die and then the movie continues in the same setting but a completely different plot and they both show up again like nothing had happened. I doubt that'll happen, of course.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Long live the Monican Freehold!

I'm hyper excited to see it too.
I know there will be changes, but Peter Chung worked with the movie gang so I know that his guidance is there.

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed 2: Cruise Control
Member # 6765

- posted      Profile for Speed 2: Cruise Control   Email Speed 2: Cruise Control         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega M.:
Well, Charlize Theron looks very attractive in the previews (and while being dressed as someone with that job might logically be, amazingly)...

Really? High heels and a unitard designed less for comfort than for a meticulous display of cleavage? Maybe I just don't understand what her job is.
Posts: 127 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

It's one of those things that if you have to ask, you won't understand.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

Well, I guess I didn't look at the ads that closely. I just meant that her arms, legs, and stomach looked mostly covered, as they could easily have not been if the movie were really trying to pander to the audience.
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I didn't think Charlize Theron had copious amounts of cleavage to show off to begin with. [Razz] Another reason I like her. And Kiera Knightley.

-pH

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I thought she almost looked too skinny from her normal look. I didn't realize it was Charlize Theron at first, I thought it was Lara Flynn Boyle.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll wait for the reviews. The cartoon has an underlying intelligence (yes, really) that I don't see a lot of sign of in the preview trailers. I don't know if Hollywood is really prepared to present something morally ambiguous instead of just another action shoot-em-up.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I've never seen the cartoon. I'm cool with an action shoot-'em-up. Anything more will be a special treat. [Big Grin]

-pH

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
On the clothing comments, Theron's main outfit in the trailer and movie posters is far, far less revealing than Aeon's standard outfit in the original series.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

Yes, I just saw an image of her from the cartoon and I couldn't believe how much it was pandering to the 14--21 year old boys out there.

And I couldn't find a review of the movie today because, according to the paper, they didn't let critics see it ahead of time, which is usually done only for movies that are really bad.

plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*

Anyone see it?

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't dislike the Star Wars prequels because I expected them to be "more than just fun entertainment". I disliked them because I found them to be talky, preachy in a very morally bizarre way, and boring.

Never liked the MTV cartoon much, so I don't think I'll see this.

Though the killer blades of grass looked sort of neat on the commercial

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tern
Member # 7429

- posted      Profile for tern   Email tern         Edit/Delete Post 
Saw it, I thought that it was pretty decent. The science fiction aspect of the story was pretty good, Charlize Theron looked good, the action was decent, the atmosphere was nice. The only discordant note was the big bad, who looked like a frat boy having a bad day. (What! No beer! Kill them all!"
Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

You mean I get to watch FRAT BOYS get their asses handed to them by Charlize Theron?

I am SO there.

-pH

tern
Member # 7429

- posted      Profile for tern   Email tern         Edit/Delete Post 
Totally. There was like, only one old dude in the whole movie, and he was like, ancient or something. All the soldiers, the ruling council, everyone except for the male hero, looked like they just stopped off at USC for some frat boys to fill out the casting.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

I would like to second being excited to see the frat boys getting their asses kicked aspect of the movie. [Smile]

[ December 03, 2005, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: Storm Saxon ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.