FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What is your away message?

Author Topic: What is your away message?
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
On AIM, ICQ and Y! here are two of mine:

-Aww...It appears I am away. I know you will mourn, so I, Princess Altįriėl of Dorthonion, hereby give you permission to cry.

- I'm out expanding my horizons, leave a messege after the beep!

EDIT: My bad, I misspelled message...

[ December 01, 2005, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: Altáriël of Dorthonion ]

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
What is AIM and why the heck can't I get an account? I'm in Australia. Is it restricted only to American users?
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
A few of mine:

"People like me. Because I force them to! With violence! ...I rule you."

"When I say your dumb name, please stand up briefly, but then quickly drop to your knees, and forsake all others before me."

"WHY DO YOU CLOSE YOUR EYES WHEN WE MAKE LOVE?"

"Your sexual innuendo is priceless."

Yeah, I watch way too much Adult Swim.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
"I'm not here. Probably in the bathroom, since my bladder is currently the favorite trampoline of a certain child."
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
I have loooots of "away" messages, depending on my mood or... well, on many things. [Big Grin] Sometimes I just set the thing to "busy" on whatever status I have at that moment, but I won't list those cases.

These are some of them:

"Out of my mind...Back in five minutes."
-(from a bumper sticker)

"You have the right to remain silent....Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you."
-(another bumper sticker)

[trying to read a note] "See you soon, id..." "id..." "ids..."
[taking the note] "Idiots". It's for you.
-(The Good, the Bad and the Ugly)

"You're breaking up... the house is going through a tunnel... you're breaking up... hrr..."
-Lorelai to Rory, Gilmore Girls

"Maybe the absence of signs is a sign?"
-Serendipity

"Detective Del Spooner: [sneezes] ...Sorry, I'm allergic to bulls***."
-I, Robot (this is more for when I'm busy and don't want to be disturbed for non-important stuff)

"At the beep please leave your name, number and a brief justification for the ontological necessity of modern man's existential dilemma."
-Reality Bites

"As dead to the world as an old anvil."
-Haruki Murakami, Sputnik Sweetheart (usually for when I'm sleeping)

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
cheiros, absolutely not restricted! [Smile]

• Go to http://www.aim.com/
  • Download the one that's right for your computer (if you have Windows XP, or a Mac, etc...)
  • Just follow their directions! [Smile] You'll have AIM in no time!
  • Go to this thread, and find some Jatraqueros to chat with!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
I am away from the computer right now because, quite frankly, I can't stand your ass.
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I also have many. Right now:

"And the Greeks went to Egypt and some guy said 'bnbrbbebrrraa' and it came out 'phoenix'."

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
The one I use most often (from H2G2.com):

"And they named the city 'Phoenix,' after the mystical bird that rose from its own ashes. And so ushered in an era of area-dwellers disturbingly comfortable with the concept of self-immolation."

And my auto-away message (from Babylon 5):

"You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Brace yourself Arthur, while Corporate America tries to sell us it's wretched things!"

I'm away. Be back soon!

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

Okay, I really can't remember what this is from, but I want the entire quote, and since many away messages are quotes, I'll ask here.

I want to say it's from the Producers, but I'm not sure. I heard it as a sample at the beginning of a song. A line about, "A man could make more money with a flop than he could with a hit!"

Also, if anyone's heard that song, please tell me. I've been dying to hear it.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Yeah, that is from the Producers... but I've only seen the original, so unfortunately, I don't know the music. I will, though, once the movie comes out. [Smile]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

I don't think it's an actual song from the Producers. I think it's a song by someone else that uses that sample.

But I can't remember! I remember the line, and I have this overwhelming urge to hear the rest, but I can't remember what the rest sounds like.

Like when you get one line of a song stuck in your head, but you don't know the rest of the words.

-pH

lucy hummer
Member # 7740

- posted      Profile for lucy hummer   Email lucy hummer         Edit/Delete Post 
It's in the trailer for the movie that is about to come out.
Posts: 94 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Yeah, pH, I hate when that happens!
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Alty, do you mind changing the title to "message"? Pwetty pwease! It hurtses our eyes, yes, my precious... [Wink]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Mission accomplished, Captain Corwin.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
It is dark in the oubliette.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a bunch, but the one that is up now is:

I take everything she says as a compliment...she's got that great accent.

(from Alias)

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea what mine is. I'm using whatever is set as the defaults when I installed the program. I use Trillian so I can be logged into MSN, Y!, AIM and IRC at the same time and only use one window to do all of the typing. So, I'm assuming that they are all probably going to say the same thing too.
Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
"We all float down here... want a balloon?"
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Corwin:
Alty, do you mind changing the title to "message"?

Or "massage"?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
l S l T l A l L l K l I l N l G l My anti-drug.

Today we salute you, Mr. Compulsive Away Message Checker. While most people are out actually having a fun life, you are at home reading about it on your computer screen. Right mouse click, Get Buddy Info, or the little Info box at the bottom of the Buddy List. You have people on that list you haven't talked to in years, but you still loyally read their away messages every day to see what they're up to (borderline stalking). So, crack open an ice cold Bud, Marauder of the Mouse Pad, and don't wander too far from your computer because you never know when someone's away message may change.

Girls are like apples on trees. The good ones are at the top. The boys don't wanna reach for the good ones because they are afraid of falling and getting hurt. Instead they just get the rotten apples on the ground that aren't as good, but easy to get. So the apples at the top think that there is something wrong with them, when in reality, they are AMAZING! That is why we just have to be patient and the right boy, the one who takes a chance to find the good apple will come one day...

You know what bugs me? Really long away messages. I mean, it's like, who wants to sit there and read this entire thing where, if written down on paper, would take up a tree's worth of paper? I know I don't! Long away messages are tedious, unfunny, and stupid, and you wonder what on earth is wrong with the person writing it. I mean, it's like, must there be this long of a message to get the stupid point across? How hard can it be to say, I'm away? Honestly...

What's up with America's obsession with shizzles? Next librarians will be saying, "be quizzle fo shizzle my little nizzles."

I have a few others, but I figure I should stop there.

Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
"I'm right behind you. No, really."
Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
"when you fall in a bottomless pit, you die of starvation"-teen girl squad (homestar runner)
Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

quote:
Originally posted by RackhamsRazor:
"when you fall in a bottomless pit, you die of starvation"-teen girl squad (homestar runner)

[Big Grin]
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got my favourite couple lines from the Iliad up right now.

...but unfortunately you'll have to look to see the Greek. It's much prettier than the English would look.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitsune
Member # 8290

- posted      Profile for Kitsune   Email Kitsune         Edit/Delete Post 
"But I am le tired [Frown] " for my sleep message.
Posts: 147 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Kitsune, yours makes me think about Georgia Nicholson. [Smile]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I put this one up every now and then:

Colonel Mustard: And what exactly is it you do here?
Wadsworth: I buttle, sir.

This is a quote from my friend:
"If it makes you feel any better I'm typing to you naked" - The Kel

And this I got from a book that I had to read for class:
"This will make your mind firmer, less sexy."

I also use song lyrics right now.

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steev
Member # 6805

- posted      Profile for Steev           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kojabu:
I put this one up every now and then:

Colonel Mustard: And what exactly is it you do here?
Wadsworth: I buttle, sir.

This is a quote from my friend:
"If it makes you feel any better I'm typing to you naked" - The Kel

And this I got from a book that I had to read for class:
"This will make your mind firmer, less sexy."

I also use song lyrics right now.

Great movie.

And I'm typing this nekked too. I use that one on my friends a lot.

There is another forum I post to that I will always sign it with some randome song lyric taken out of context.

Anyway I just figure out how to change my away messages.

I have a custom one that says:

I've gone to get something to eat. I get hungry sometimes. Especialy after a long hard day at my computer. I like pie.

Posts: 527 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.