FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Pirates of the Caribbean 2: Electric Boogaloo!

Author Topic: Pirates of the Caribbean 2: Electric Boogaloo!
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, okay. "Dead Man's Chest" is the actual title.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer the Electric Boogaloo subtitle myself. [Razz]
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Davy Jones looks cool. I'm kind of surprised they showed him so clearly so near the beginning of the trailer.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Hiding the CGI villain in the teaser is _so_ totally 1998. [Wink]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
*frothing at the mouth* Can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait!

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
If it's even half as good as the first, I'll be happy. I think Davy Jones looks vaguely Cthulhu-ish. That makes me giggle.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Yeah, I posted back in July that his designer probably read a _lot_ of Lovecraft growing up.
Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't care if this movie is complete yuck. I'll go watch it just to watch Johnny Depp's acting. He is one of the best of his generation. (Not to mention he is HOT! [Razz] )
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, I missed that, Puffy.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by Evie3217:
I don't care if this movie is complete yuck. I'll go watch it just to watch Johnny Depp's acting. He is one of the best of his generation. (Not to mention he is HOT! [Razz] )

I agree. Though I think Captain Jack Sparrow is probably his hottest character yet. All piratey and roguish.

Dear Captain Jack Sparrow,
Let's have some rum. [Wink] And let's be special friends.
Love,
pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avadaru
Member # 3026

- posted      Profile for Avadaru   Email Avadaru         Edit/Delete Post 
Aaaah this looks wonderful!!! I cant wait to see it. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1225 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Davy Jones has sure not aged well since his time with The Monkeys. (Is that what happens when you kiss Jan Brady?)
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
That looks totally cool. Too bad I'll be in Japan and won't be able to see it.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, what are you going to Japan for? How long will you be there?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucy hummer
Member # 7740

- posted      Profile for lucy hummer   Email lucy hummer         Edit/Delete Post 
My neighbor has a horse named Electric Boogaloo 2.
Posts: 94 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
This is going to be awesome. Even if it sucks.

Especially if it sucks.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Where's Keith Richards???
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

I forgot about that! He plays Jack Sparrow's dad, right?
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
No, not a father-son complex. Almost all movies with one of those is doomed to have a....*gasp*.....plot! [Wink]

Edit(To Add Smiley and Words):

I have the first one on DVD.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

Who needs a plot when you have Johnny Depp? I mean really... [Roll Eyes]
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Edward Scissorhands did fairly well with a plot.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Evie3217
Member # 5426

Good point, but that was before Depp got really big. Personally, I enjoy Johnny Depp more for his acting than anything. (Although I don't mind that he's easy on the eyes either.)
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't it have been cool to get Davey Jones (from the Monkeys) to play Davey Jones?

Incidentally, I came up with a plot for the sequel to PotC about an hour after seeing the movie. I'm 90% sure that they aren't going to do it, but if you're not afraid of possible spoilers, should I have guessed correctly, have a look at my blog entry describing it.

About Johnny Depp... he and Charlize Theron are the only actors around that really disappear into their roles. They don't play Depp and Theron playing a role; they make the character come to life.

That's not to slam those actors who are bigger than their characters. I'll see anything John Cusack does, even though it's always John Cusack. Same with Jody Foster. I love Jody, and her characters all ring true, I think. But you're still always seeing Jody Foster doing an excellent job of acting. Compare Johnny Depp in Nick of Time, PotC, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Neverland... I wouldn't even have identified them as the same actor had I not known.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Ben Kingsley does it, starLisa. I know exactly what you mean.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

starLisa, I saw a preview for the Libertine tonight, and I TOTALLY didn't realize it was Johnny Depp until his name came up on the screen.

-pH

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eaquae Legit:
Ben Kingsley does it, starLisa. I know exactly what you mean.

You're right. He's another example.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

- posted      Profile for Ramdac99   Email Ramdac99         Edit/Delete Post 
is this thread title a reference to Mr. Show?

"Saul Stevenburg was the best thing to come out of Hollywood since sliced bread, not to mention its sequel sliced bread 2 electric boogaloo"

Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I think both Russel Crowe and Renee Zellweger do it as well. They are amazing actors.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget Billy Bob Thornton and Phillip Seymour Hoffman for the list of actors who disappear into roles.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
I think both Russel Crowe and Renee Zellweger do it as well. They are amazing actors.

I really liked Renee Zellweger in Chicago. She did a great job of playing both low-class show-girl Roxie Hart, and the sexy sophisticated Roxie Hart she thought she was (in her fantasy numbers).
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by Ramdac99:

"Saul Stevenburg was the best thing to come out of Hollywood since sliced bread, not to mention its sequel sliced bread 2 electric boogaloo"

No. "Electric Boogaloo" gets tossed around as a funny sequel subname quite a bit, and Mr. Show's use of the term in a skit is just continuing the tradition, as is this thread.

The term (as used as a sequel subname) dates back to the 1984 movie Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Edit--actually, I don't claim to know Puffy Treat's mind. It could be that he was thinking of the Mr. Show skit you're talking about, but the tradition definitely goes back further than that.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ramdac99:

That Mr. Show joke is a reference to Breakin 2: Electric Boogaloo. Tacking some version of "electric boogaloo" onto a sequel title is a classic joke.

--Enigmatic

Edit: outposted by Noemon!

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Mua-ha-ha!
Ramdac99
Member # 7264

- posted      Profile for Ramdac99   Email Ramdac99         Edit/Delete Post 
Enigmatic and Neoman......wow, thanks. I had no idea. That Mr. Show joke is a whole lot funnier now.
Posts: 484 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by katharina:

Really? I've ever only seen Russell Crowe in two roles: angry (often historical) manly man, and nuts. Maybe I need to expand my viewing.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

Yes, it was a reference to "Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo"...though I originally learned it by watching episodes of Mystery Science Theater 3000 back in the day. It was a favored recurring quip from the 'Bots whenever a "2" appeared on the movie screen.
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by KarlEd:
Don't forget Billy Bob Thornton and Phillip Seymour Hoffman for the list of actors who disappear into roles.

Phillip Seymour Hoffman? Really? I can barely stand to watch the guy anymore because he always seems to play the same icky loser type.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ifmyheartcouldbeat
Member # 8692

- posted      Profile for ifmyheartcouldbeat   Email ifmyheartcouldbeat         Edit/Delete Post 
ahh j.d. how much do i love thee?

looks good can't wait!

Posts: 82 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zarex
Member # 8504

- posted      Profile for Zarex   Email Zarex         Edit/Delete Post 
Aaaargh!!!! I'll be on my mission!!!!
Posts: 250 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

"Good movie comes out while on mission angst"...ah, yes.

I wish I could say I related, but the big summer films that came out while I was on _my_ mission were Batman & Robin and Godzilla.

Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

The official film site has been updated!

Mostly with the flash-heavy stuff Disney does on all their sites. [Roll Eyes]

Yo-ho-ho and a bottle of...fun?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.