FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » BioWare is Having a Contest to Find Skilled Writers

Author Topic: BioWare is Having a Contest to Find Skilled Writers
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Read all about it!

Looks pretty cool! I like that the emphasis here in on the characters and the plot. There's no way I'll have time to cook something up for this, but I thought that there'd probably be some people here that would be excited to enter something into the contest.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when BioWare did this before. Back then they were simply calling it a "job application." I guess by making it a contest they hope to attract more people, though I wouldn't think a company like BioWare would have any lack of applicants. But yeah, it's really cool. Maybe I'll give it a go.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, I lack a copy of "Neverwinter Nights."
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StickyWicket
Member # 7926

- posted      Profile for StickyWicket   Email StickyWicket         Edit/Delete Post 
the problem I have is with the part about "employment is not guaranteed if you win" which means they'll just higher the most charismatic person and steal everyone else's submissions.
Posts: 128 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
The basic set of NWN is only about $15, Tom.

You should do this-- seriously.

If you don't want to spend the cash, let me know-- I've got the toolset and I'm willing to put your text in a module so you can send it to them.

quote:
the problem I have is with the part about "employment is not guaranteed if you win" which means they'll just higher the most charismatic person and steal everyone else's submissions.
I didn't read any stipulations about all submissions being property of Bioware. I *think* that such things (or at least the dialogue) remains property of the creator.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
In fact, even BioWare's standard form for submission of suggestions (that doesn't seem to apply for this contest) is incredibly submitter-friendly: http://www.bioware.com/bioware_info/jobs/psa/

It grants BioWare no rights to use the material except in review and evaluation of it, and an indemnification against 3rd party lawsuits if the submitter included other people's work.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
You Overlook guys ought to create something based on your characters. Definitely some high quality background stuff to work with.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked NWN but haven't played it in a while. I haven't played anything in a while so I'm not sure how it compares to World of Warcraft, which I believe is very similar.
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone here working on this contest?

I am wondering if I am reading the rules correctly. If I am, then I am supposed to write a 3500-word story that takes place in a small room or area (4x4 tileset) with only 3 other characters with which to tell the story, and have multiple quests and alternate endings.

It seems awkward to do all this in a tiny room. Am I just going to run between the same 3 NPCs in the same room, completing multiple dialogue-only quests? Sounds like a recipe to put Bioware judges to sleep. I guess if they don't fall asleep, it indicates a good writer.

I originally thought it was supposed to be a mini-game, just without combat and skills, but now it sounds more like a novel narrated by 4 computer images in one small area.

Or am I just reading the contest rules incorrectly?

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, that last post was made by me, not unicornwhisperer. My wife has been using my computer again to talk on Hatrack, instead of her own, and I thought I was still logged on [Wink]
Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I liked NWN but haven't played it in a while. I haven't played anything in a while so I'm not sure how it compares to World of Warcraft, which I believe is very similar.
Very, very different actually. NWN is far more geared toward traditional Pen'n'Paper roleplayers than to the powergamer MMORPG crowd. ...and then I realized it's almost 5 a.m. and I should go to bed instead of talking about this.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It is SPECIFICALLY meant to be a "novel" narrated by a few characters. It is NOT meant to be a series of small quests, or a traditional "module." They're looking ONLY for writing ability.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I've tried scripting something for this, but can't wrap my mind around it. I actually spent the better part of an hour at one of my book signings scribbling notes for dialogue and such.

Hasn't amounted to much, though. . .

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.