FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Well, That Sure Backfired....

Author Topic: Well, That Sure Backfired....
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Superstation was not going down for his nap. Instead, he and Mooselet were making a bit of noise. I went back to their room to ask them to quiet down, and looked through the door just in time to see Superstation throw his bear across the room from his crib to Mooselet's bed (a pretty good throw, actually). Note -- this bear is basically his security blanket; he pretty much doesn't sleep without it.

Anyway, I thought this might be a decent chance to break him from the habit a little. So I told him that he didn't get the bear back, and I took it and left the room (reminding Mooselet to be quiet as well). After about 7-8 minutes of crying (Superstation, not me), I went back in and told him he could have the bear, but he had to keep it in the crib. He gave me his "yes dance," and I gave him the bear. Then I went out to fix my lunch.

Mooselet came out a couple minutes later to tell me that Superstation had thrown his bear out of the crib again (it was now under Mooselet's bed). I came in, and Superstation was standing at the edge of the crib, pointing to the bear (asking me to retrieve it for him). I said "I told you that if you threw the bear out again you wouldn't get it back." And again, I left the room with the bear.

Again, he cried for five minutes or so, but then he quieted down, and I thought maybe he'd go to sleep without the bear. This could begin the process of weaning -- cold turkey might be an option, but I wasn't requiring it at this point.

So an excellent process by which I was teaching him not to rely on his security bear. That's what I thought I was teaching him.

He, apparently, thought I was trying to teach him problem-solving skills. Well, he learned 'em all right. Came walking down the hall to get the bear back from me. Yeah -- instead of my intended lesson, I indirectly taught him to climb out of the crib.

Bed time may never be the same....

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh oh!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

Aren't kids fun? Their reasoning isn't quite the same as an adult's, though usually just as sound. [Wink]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my... this goes into the BabyDot future reference file...
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

You should have known better than to give him back the bear before his nap was over, though. Really. Do that, and it becomes a game.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess you should have just taken it with you, so then he wouldn't have climbed out to get it.

Hindsight is 20/20 though. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I can just hear his thoughts:

"Step AWAY from the bear and no-one gets hurt."

[ROFL]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kwea:
I guess you should have just taken it with you, so then he wouldn't have climbed out to get it.

*cough*

quote:
And again, I left the room with the bear.
. . .
[he]Came walking down the hall to get the bear back from me.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
My nephew is in the throes of being potty trained. Since he doesn't like the feeling of having wet pants, my sister thought she could use that to get him to go in the toilet. Instead, he has just learned to change his own clothes.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Ahh....\

Nevermind..... [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

That's when you break out the belt. [Wink]
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
*Begins to tell embarrassing story about son's babyhood*

*Remembers that he is a member of this forum, too, and might not appreciate it*

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

The Posey company, beloved by healthcare workers for their patient restraints, has some child friendly models, too.
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
That's great. [ROFL]
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Hah! That awesome Pops. But you know what? You know you wanted to nap out with the teddy bear. See, Superstation was just trying to keep you from getting into the habit of using teddy as a security blanket.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Almost-8-year-old-son still can't sleep without his baby blanket, which now only fits around his neck.

Are we supposed to be weaning them? Whoops.... [Blushing]

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
I still sleep with my baby blanket. [Smile]
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
We were in the car tonight and Ems was screaming. KPC asked her, "Do you see the moon?" And then, because that quieted her down while she looked, "What does the moon say?" (Hoping, I think, to stump her; she knows most of her animals now, but I think he was wondering what she was going to answer.)

She immediately replied, "I am moon." Because really, what else would the moon say? [ROFL]

Ask a silly question...

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
Ems is cute! and very intelligent. I wouldn't have been able to come up with that.

Miro, I still sleep with my baby blanket too.
But weaning in terms of a security item means being able to sleep without it? I'm a bit unclear on the concept..

Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear ya, Pop. Sophie hasn't been wanting to go to sleep and hasn't been nursing to sleep as usual, so I thought this would be a great time to teach her how to go to sleep on her own. After nursing, I hugged her, gave her a kiss, asked her which animal she'd like to take to bed and put her in her crib.

She melted down completely. Hyperventilating, shaking, hysterics. [Frown] On the plus side, she did go to sleep without nursing, but it was in our bed with lots of snuggles from mama and dada. I have a bad feeling I'm trading one ill for another.

Sophie has a "yes dance" too. *giggle* And also loves the moon. I love the fact that the moon says "I am moon" though! That's adorable!
We've been asking Sophie what mama, dada and Sophie say to see what she'll answer. So far, we've not gotten any response, though. [Smile]

Edit -- yay, she went to sleep as usual tonight! We had been missing her puppy, but she hadn't been asking for it, so I'm wondering if that did the trick or if it was me telling her that once the milk was gone tonight, we were going to go night-night before we started. Either way, woot!

How did bedtime go for you, Pop?

[ December 06, 2005, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: Christy ]

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.