FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Worthing Saga is Underappreciated

Author Topic: The Worthing Saga is Underappreciated
Tintely
Member # 8917

- posted      Profile for Tintely   Email Tintely         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was growing up I loved Ender's Game. It was my favorite book for a long time, but when I read THE WORTHING SAGA last year, it easily topped my list.

The main character has no past and the only way you get to know him is through his reactions to the memories of others. It's got the most unique style of any book I've ever read. Plus it's got some amazing things to say. The moral and philisophical arguements presented in The Worthing Saga are way more powerful than those in Speaker for the Dead.

"I never knew I loved Father till he lay there at the brink of death. Perhaps I never did love him, until he was nearly gone." (205)

"Hoom grew up before I did, Stipock realized. He found out that if you try to eliminate the pain from your life, you destroy all hope of pleasure, too." (199)

"without the touch of Cammar's fingers as he leapt and fell, what would there be in Hoom to make you love him? What would there be of greatness in him? What would his life have meant?" (209)

"Sometimes you have to tell the dull parts of the story so that the good parts will mean something when they come." (100)

"'Satan. The adversary. The enemy of the plan of God. The undoer. The destroyer. Yes. He definately was.' Jason smiled. 'But he meant well.'" (78)

The list goes on. This book is just amazing. Way underappreciated.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
Me three. [Smile] Maybe I'll reread that this month, it's been a few years.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. I also think that it coexists nicely with Hot Sleep. Both are good reads.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zarex
Member # 8504

- posted      Profile for Zarex   Email Zarex         Edit/Delete Post 
Who wrote it?
Posts: 250 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Hart's Hope is OSC's most underappreciated work...but I did love The Worthing Saga as well.
Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luthe
Member # 1601

- posted      Profile for luthe   Email luthe         Edit/Delete Post 
The Worthing Saga for those not in the know.*

I'm not sure that it is. It tells a good story, but it really feels like an immature work. It seems to me that most authors' first few works--novels in particular, are not nearly as well written as some of there later stuff. While I don't believe that is is overly obvious with Mr. Cards works, with some authors, Barry Eisler, Terry Goodkind it is.

---
* I think the assumtion was that this was not a Card work since it is not on the "All About Orson" side of the forum.

Posts: 1458 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was a joke.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
calaban
Member # 2516

- posted      Profile for calaban   Email calaban         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite Card book.
Posts: 686 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.